HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:51 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,249 Posts
Help!
apm clone + ublox gps = confused , bad yaw

Hi guys. I have been fighting this for a week now. I have a clone apm 2.6,, seems to be working well. It came with the ublox v2.0 gps board. Its the one that is not encased. Its a pcb with a small battery soldered on bottom, and the gps antena and compas on top. I am not able to set the compass type in mission planner to accurately read north south east west.

According to mp the setting for external compass is roll 180 deg. In that setting, if I rotate the quad to face north south east west,, it does not give correct heading reading on the mission planner flight data screen. I have tried all the different settings in mp and none of them will give a true reading of n, s, e, w.

Additionally, with the compass installed, calibrated, compassmot done,, the quad will not hold its yaw heading. it rotates slightly either way especially when descending or climbing.

Very frustrating! I have graduated from kk boards to the apm, and although the stability and "off the bench" flight are superior to the kk boards, the yaw holding is so far a joke. I cant possibly do fpv with the quad yawing at nearly every control input.

Wondering if these are symptoms of a bad compas gps unit??

Also, I was able to get the compass to read true nsew by orienting it sideways, as in top of the unit facing right and bottom facing left,, and then using one of the compass offset in mission planner. Is that ok? Is that what I want? I havent flown it that way yet as I just discovered this late last night and my gps mount needs to be a little modded to accommodate.

Help greatly appreciated!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APM2-6-ArduP...item51c3d373e7

Pretty much thats what I have. It also came with those 4 blue colored plates. Any idea how to use them for the gps unit? What are they for? Do they need to be assembled a certain way to work?
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Last edited by topforce; Oct 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 02:22 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,063 Posts
I can't tell from the images on eBay but when you look at the MAG chip on the top of the GPS module as if you were behind the MRC facing forward, the little white dot next to the "L" must be on the upper (or forward) right corner for APM.

The GPS Shield/Hood gets soldered like this.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Oct 21, 2014, 02:02 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,249 Posts
Awsome! Thanks Greg. The video for the ublox shield clarified that,, and your info confirmed that my gps is oriented correctly. I actually finally got good compass headings, had to go wwaaay outside into open area to finish setting up. Somewhat difficult as part of the setup requires internet, but getting the compass set required open area to confirm it was correct.

Has anybody figured out the yaw issues with apm pixhawk yet? Im reading that its a common problem, which is a bit dissappointing.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:28 PM
Joined Dec 2003
111 Posts
bad Yaw

The lettering (UBlox GPS Module V2.0) should be facing front. Compass on top so same as APM. Zero degree not 180. With MP connected run (arm and power up) on bench. If the compass needle moves you have mag. interference. Also check vibration. I have same and it flies great.

Best Regards
F
hadihf is offline Find More Posts by hadihf
Last edited by hadihf; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,249 Posts
Vibration might be an issue, as the motors were used, but the props were balanced very well. As for electromagnetic interference, compassmot sais my interference is 3%,,, well into the good range.

Honestly, I havent had a chance to fly it for any length after doing complete erase, reset, and setup. Just test flown for about 30 seconds. Its amazing how good the stock settings are.

This quad just needs yaw and alt hold dialed in then its ready for fpv and autonomous. Thats the problem though. Trying to dial in yaw and alt hold, I had hit a plateau, and neither of those functions would work no matter how much fiddling. Yet, in stabilize flight, just floating around it was pretty much perfect.