Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:15 PM
"Go Fast & Turn Left".......
Joined Feb 2013
49 Posts
Help!
I am thinking of re-doing the ESM P-51B Mustang, German Kill Markings:

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of re-doing the ESM P-51B Mustang, German Kill Markings:

In my opinion 4 little black boxes in the shape of a 4-way quad, on a White circle background, on a Red square; just don’t cut it as scale, German Kill Markings. I am sure that I can’t be the only guy who looks at these Kill Markings and thinks it looks horrible. Especially since the rest of the airplane looks so good.

My question is where do you start, and what‘s the best procedure to go with to replace them?

I purchased from Tower Hobbies some “Major Decals – Water Transfer “German Kill Markings”.

1. I figure I need to either remove or cover up the 4 little black boxes.
2. Should I remove the 4 little black boxes with some sandpaper or other method or cover them up with some white paint?
3. Once the 4 little black boxes are removed or covered up sufficiently, then install the new German Markings.
4. Paint with a Dead Flat Clear coat of some sort to protect them and most of all blend them into the existing paint scheme.

Sounds pretty straightforward and easy, but I think the trick is to having the final outcome look Great is to do a good job removing or covering up the 4 little black boxes. I think the trick to having the job come out looking great is to always make sure the base job is done well. Adding the decals and the Clear coat is the easy & fun part.

So again, I guess I am looking for some guidance and / or suggestions with step one? Do I remove or cover up the 4 little black boxes and what is the best procedure to go with?

OK, Guys what do you got for me?

Thanks a Bunch

Ed
electriceddie is offline Find More Posts by electriceddie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:46 AM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,859 Posts
Why not just carefully take a little white paint and create the swastika by painting over the black?

easy to do on the computer
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Last edited by scale_only; Oct 20, 2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:33 PM
Joined Feb 2013
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only View Post
Why not just carefully take a little white paint and create the swastika by painting over the black?

easy to do on the computer
Hi Scale,

It's funny that you replied with that. I had that very same thought. What type of white paint did you use and did it match the white of the Kill Marking. Testors maybe?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:43 PM
# Scale is a way of life
Joined Apr 2010
1,859 Posts
I don't have that plane, that was none with a computer photo program

Good luck
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
49 Posts
Quote:
I don't have that plane, that was none with a computer photo program

Good luck
Well that really does not help then if it has not been done for real, duh...Gees..

Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2014, 07:17 AM
# Scale is a way of life
Joined Apr 2010
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceddie View Post
Well that really does not help then if it has not been done for real, duh...Gees..

Thanks
Ha,, Gees,,, dude it was a suggestion,

If I had that plane that's what I would try,, you could always still remove the markings. I'll keep my suggestions to myself for now on,, I apologize for wasting your time

good luck
Old Oct 21, 2014, 01:52 PM
Joined Feb 2013
49 Posts
Quote:
Ha,, Gees,,, dude it was a suggestion,

If I had that plane that's what I would try,, you could always still remove the markings. I'll keep my suggestions to myself for now on,, I apologize for wasting your time

good luck
Scale it's Cool Dude .. I thought it was kind of funny how it read , when I read your reply. I was busting on you a little . No hard feelings....

It is a good idea and I had thought of painting over the parts of the black to make the kill markings correct as well....

Ed