SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2014, 03:50 PM
Joined Jul 2014
75 Posts
Question
Flying (& singing) in the Rain? :)

More of a curiosity... living in Raincouver (heh) I've been contemplating how I will suffer during the upcoming 6-8 months of (primarily) drizzle, and rainy grey weather... since I wouldn't be able to fly (or will i?) any of my copters outside during that time.

So, I was wondering if any of you actually do fly your RC's outside during rain? Logic would seem to indicate that water/moisture will not play nice with anything electronic... i.e.. PCB, ESC, Motors (brushed or brushless), and even probably the rotor gears/grip... so I expect that no one flies their RC Copters regularly or often during rainy or drizzle like conditions. Thoughts to the contrary? Or am I wrong?
DimoX is offline Find More Posts by DimoX
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2014, 03:59 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
629 Posts
(Insert inappropriate not politically correct response here)
Oldgazer is offline Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Old Sep 22, 2014, 04:12 PM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,358 Posts
Best advice is either a flight sim, micro sized copter for inside the house or see if there is a club that does indoor flight in the local school gymnasium. Other than that not too many options. Done it before and was really lucky nothing shorted, but this was on a Blade CP that was about to be mothballed anyway.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Sep 22, 2014, 05:34 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,728 Posts
well, they do make waterproof servos everything else may be shrinkwrapped maybe? regular oiling will take care of water problemsreal helis fly in rain all the time
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:04 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,082 Posts
I have a water proof quad I fly in rain quite abit,I just use some WD40 followed by Triflow on the motors after without problem.I wouldn't do that with my heli's though,to much could go wrong
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Sep 23, 2014, 02:59 AM
Ground Repeller
Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
342 Posts
There's a nano coat spray around that waterproofs motors and stuff but you will have to take your motor apart. Your battery and connectors will have to be sealed. Servos should have their casings insulated as well. I did consider trying the spray out.. But I'm not willing to land a thousand dollar investment in the drink.
ZeniethLily is offline Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Old Sep 23, 2014, 03:31 PM
MOD IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
Joined Jul 2009
607 Posts
Check out Hank flying his HB in the rain..... I've done this a few times myself to my own amazement. I've noticed no ill effects and the bee is still buzz'n right along.............Kato
FLYING MY HONEY BEE IN THE RAIN YEAH BABY! (10 min 14 sec)
katoace is offline Find More Posts by katoace
Old Sep 23, 2014, 04:21 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,728 Posts
way to go katoace! i also saw one guy flying a jr700 i think in the rain
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Sep 23, 2014, 05:24 PM
Joined Jul 2014
75 Posts
@Oldgazer (insert similarly politically incorrect and not pc and possibly snarky remark back here, and a good hearty laugh to boot!)

@Cleared2Engage The club idea is cool! I wonder if they have one here... I'll check it out!

@Flying Pitcher That is true... that real helis fly in rain... I guess their giant props are better at dispersing moisture and all their electronics are shielded though... Shrink-wrapping might add heat to electronics?... no idea!

@Kauaiguy Neat! Which quad are you flying?... So you just spray your motors with that stuff afterwards?

@ZeniethLily True, and sounds like quite a lot of tinkering with what may go horribly wrong...

@katoace What the Eff?!?! That was my initial reaction... and then ofcourse the critic in me is all screaming "LIES!! it's CG!!!" hahah... nice, do they still sell this chopper? The Honey Bee eh?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 05:33 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,082 Posts
Waterproof quad

Here's a couple photos , I stick my Gopro in its waterproof housing under neath and takeoff from and land on water.Sometimes fly it in the rain!
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Sep 23, 2014, 05:40 PM
Joined Jul 2009
607 Posts
[QUOTE

@katoace What the Eff?!?! That was my initial reaction... and then ofcourse the critic in me is all screaming "LIES!! it's CG!!!" hahah... nice, do they still sell this chopper? The Honey Bee eh? [/QUOTE]

Ha!... No, it aint C/G it's real. I've done it!......Yea, Esky still sells the Bee. I'll never sell or bench mine.....Heck it may currently be favorite heli(post mods).................Kato
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:09 PM
Joined Jul 2014
75 Posts
@Kauaiguy That looks pretty cool! Is this custom made? or did you make it/put it all together from from scratch?

@Kotace I believe you! And watching that video made my jaws drop quite a bit, cuz that rain got somewhat heavy at one point! And that copter was just zipping around!! I noticed two honey bee's being sold atm, one is the CP3 another is a V2.... links below...

So if I get this:
http://www.esky-heli.com/rc-helicopt...ed-002437.html

Or this:
http://www.esky-heli.com/rc-helicopt...ed-002435.html

I can start whishing around in the rain? lol
Old Sep 27, 2014, 09:16 AM
Joined Jul 2009
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimoX View Post
@Kauaiguy That looks pretty cool! Is this custom made? or did you make it/put it all together from from scratch?

@Kotace I believe you! And watching that video made my jaws drop quite a bit, cuz that rain got somewhat heavy at one point! And that copter was just zipping around!! I noticed two honey bee's being sold atm, one is the CP3 another is a V2.... links below...

So if I get this:
http://www.esky-heli.com/rc-helicopt...ed-002437.html

Or this:
http://www.esky-heli.com/rc-helicopt...ed-002435.html

I can start whishing around in the rain? lol
The heli in the vid is the V2. And, if you buy it, yea, you can start flying in the rain. But you wont be able to fly as WELL in the rain as the one in the vid. That heli has mods(i have the same set-up on my bee) that allow it to ...well...kick-@zz... like you see in the vid...............As for the cp3, im not sure how it handles the rain, but i dont think it would be a problem.................Kato
Last edited by katoace; Sep 27, 2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: i spell bad
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:49 AM
Joined Jul 2014
75 Posts
Thanks @katoace

I wonder what it is about these helis that seperates them from the other RC copters in terms of Rain/Water toughness... do you know if the CP3 or Honey Bee v2 have onboard gyros for training?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:39 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jun 2014
390 Posts
I was thinking about one of my 450s flying in the rain with my HK T-6 this winter. Like boot camp for heli training

I imagine the HK glove that I should get soon would help http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ap_Ready_.html

But it would get soaked & smelly after a while, much like myself Since I have had the $40 T-6 for a while and never used, maybe I'd use saran wrap creatively to make it rain resistant and try not to worry about it.

As far as the 450, I'd not worry about the motor and kapton tape the servos. The RX would be saran wrapped I suppose.
Dave778 is offline Find More Posts by Dave778