HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:28 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
1/4 Scale BN2 - Designing & Building

Ok, I've got 6 months to get this ready for the DEAF Fun-Fly. I'll try to update this thread with the design/building progress.

After building the 30% Cherokee I started considering my next project. I settled on the Britten Norman Islander because of the strait lines and twin power.

I started by contacting BN in Whales to get more detailed drawing. After 2 months of e-mail and postal correspondences (6 page non-disclosure contract) I was able to secure factory GA drawings. The folks at NB were very helpful and only ask that I send them some high quality pictures of the completed aircraft.

The guys at BN are really proud of their planes. Their web site has a lot of details about the history and preservation of the planes. The restoratoration of ser#3 can be found here (click on BNAPS tab on left side of page). I decided to build the plane to the serial number 3's specs, including original paint scheme. Yellow is not my first choice, but it means a lot to BN and they have encouraged the original paint scheme as this is what they are going to restore serial number 3 to.

Like the Cherokee, I'm designing the plane around the limits of the Astro 40SG. A quick check with scale pictures showed that 1/4 scale is going to fit nicely. Here is some of the basics figures.

147" wing span
2900+ sq. in.
23-25 pounds (targeting 24 pounds)
2-Astro 40's with the large gear box
48 2400 or nic-metal 3300 sub-c cells
Custom built 100 volt speed controller
18x8 props - same rotation
Fuselage cross section 14.5x11.5 (aprox)
Sturdy Board fuselage construction w/balsa/ply/foam as needed
Conventional balsa/ply/spruce wing
Sturdy Board hot wired in two for tail feather skins w/balsa inside structure
Removable wing landing gear, 3 piece wing, removable tail assembly

I'm CAD'ing some of the critical parts, but most of the design will just be transferred measurements from the factory drawings. I have no plans of making marketable drawings, instructions or parts. As of now, I've just scale converted most of the dimensions and have cut out 3 of the fuselage formers. Within the next day or two I'll cut out the fuselage sides and start basic fuselage construction.

A picture of Serial #3:
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Last edited by Gary Warner; Apr 15, 2004 at 08:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2004, 05:14 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
Nice subject, Gary. I've got the GWS foamy version and I love it. Just the other day at the airport, I saw a Bombardier-DeHavilland Dash-8 (I think) that looks to be the successor to the BN-2...similar gear and shape, but a more modern look.

Hard to imagine an electric on that scale!

Good luck on the project.

--Doug
dk944s2 is offline Find More Posts by dk944s2
Old Apr 15, 2004, 08:43 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
The size of the plane is starting to sink in. Laying out the fuselage sides starts to give some idea just how big this thing is going to be. The attached picture only represents the forward cabin door back to the tail. The nose is going to be added later in foam and glass. I'm cutting the second fuselage side tonight. I'll be gluing the formers in place tomorrow.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 08:13 PM
Dallas, Tx
Joined Jan 2003
415 Posts
1/4 scale thats it?? Geeez you should make 1/2 scale or something! I hope you get work on that plane this weekend so I dont have to be at your house til 2 am the friday before deaf finishing that plane!!!!! =o) good luck at the contest tomorrow

Arnold
ArnoldC is offline Find More Posts by ArnoldC
Old Apr 18, 2004, 08:47 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
I think 1/4 scale is BIG enough! Today formers were installed with the fuselage sides.

BTW, thanks for the good wishes - 1st place!
Old Apr 18, 2004, 09:59 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,574 Posts
Can't wait to see that monster in the air at DEAF. With your track record, it should be a huge success...literally...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:05 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,608 Posts
Only two weeks left! Your not going to let us down are you?
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:22 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh
Only two weeks left! Your not going to let us down are you?
Yup. It won't be a total let down. Arnold has a new GP Lancair and a Hanger9 C-182 (20 pounds), both on Acro 4130/20 that we've spent much time on. I'll have an EAM F-18 and a GP C-182, the Cherokee and a rebuilt (overhauled) Big Bird that now has ailerons. All of these planes have been test flow and ready to go. A few other assorted planes will be there too.

About 6 weeks ago, I looked at the Islander and decided that at best, it was going to be a mad rush to finish. I decided not to rush it. Much of what I want to do is going to require much more time. I did sit on my butt a bit too much this year, but it's a comfortable building speed for me. And I'm just not into pressure when I build. I envey those of you who can build for 3 hours a night, every night.

There's always next year!

Gary
--
Last edited by Gary Warner; Sep 21, 2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:31 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,608 Posts
This year?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:19 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh
This year?
Nope.

Arnold has been building all year. I haven't been able to get into my own shop for more than a day or two in a row. But, Arnold DID say that after DEAF, the BN2 was next up. We'll see.

Arnold's Piper Arrow is going to be at DEAF this year - it's turning out to be a nice plane. Maybe 2 weeks to first flights.

Gary
--
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:00 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,741 Posts
What a project! Have you seen the long nose model of the islander?
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Aug 29, 2005, 06:11 AM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
298 Posts
paint scheme ?

Hi Gary,

In case you're still looking for a color scheme,
here's the Islander in Belgian Air Force colors

12 of them were once delivered, 10 still in service.

BTW, 1/4 scale look quite ambitious to me, best of luck in completing this huge project !

Frank.
Frank_K is online now Find More Posts by Frank_K
Old Sep 25, 2009, 04:45 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,608 Posts
Are we there yet?