HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:44 AM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post

went down and met Havoc this morning and got his little milling machine all trammed in and square. and talked shop for a bit.

Pamela
Hey Pamela,

Looks like your build is coming right along.

It was nice meeting you and again thanks for squaring my machine away. After you left Brandon said "Wow..... She really knows a lot". He's probably still dreaming of your CBR.

Mike
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:28 PM
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Oct 2012
87 Posts
Pamela rides a Honda? how cool is that?
SparkyLawnDart is offline Find More Posts by SparkyLawnDart
Old Aug 19, 2014, 09:00 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2014
176 Posts
used to.......gave it up. got tired of dodging idiots in SUVs just pulling out in front of me. it sits in the back of the plant. its an 07 CBR1000RR...highly modified.

here's a photo of me at Willow Springs my last track day outing..

Pamela
PamW is offline Find More Posts by PamW
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:50 PM
Joined Apr 2014
176 Posts
been working on the plug to make the mold for the scoop extention.....time consuming.
nearly finished.

Pamela
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:58 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
Pam....What's the plug made from?

Looks good.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:09 AM
Joined Apr 2014
176 Posts
Balsa and body filler....The fiberglass stuff for shape...The cream stuff for finishing. Using a road racing method for making fender flares. Should see it take shape in the next couple days.
Prop arrives today.

Pamela
Old Aug 26, 2014, 07:36 PM
Joined Apr 2014
176 Posts
wet sanded the sadning primer with 600....came out nice...shot it with sealing primer and then some high gloos paint.....screaming apple red.....left over from a previous project. laid 4 coats...will let it dry for a few days then color sand wet with 1000.....polish it with rougue. wax the beejeezus out of it. then it will be ready for the glass. past experience says the plug will slip right out of the glass and I'll have a perfect mold. prime and paint the inside....color sand and polish...wax...then lay in the actual scoop...I think 3 maybe 4 layers shoul do.

Pamela
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:00 AM
Joined Apr 2014
176 Posts
Color sanded the plug last night and got a couple small primer sand thrus.....should have left it alone. Instead I shot a couple more coats of paint and for some reason I got some wrinkling.......dash it all. So ill be repairing that goof this weekend. Going to finish up the stab equalizer tips and prep for glass. And start laying out center section of the wing.
If I get some annoying machine work done for a friend I'll also finish the tube roller for the exhaust.

Pamela
Old Aug 30, 2014, 05:37 PM
Joined Apr 2014
176 Posts
well...that was a disaster...

try again......

Pamela
Old Aug 30, 2014, 07:20 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
Sorry to hear that This fiber glassing is not always user friendly I've had things that never setup, but hang in there you'll get it.

Did it just stick really hard?

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Aug 30, 2014, 07:56 PM
Joined Apr 2014
176 Posts
yea....wouldn't let go....maybe I should have done the cheaters trick and stuck it in the freezer over night.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:35 AM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
357 Posts
Try using PVA after your wax coats. I've had much better results using several very light spray coats of PVA than mold release wax alone. Its inexpensive, water based, easy to use, and works great.

Mike
mligosh is online now Find More Posts by mligosh
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:59 AM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
357 Posts
This is a top cowl for my Bell 222 that I had to make. There are a couple of small returns at the air intakes that could be trouble spots, but with the PVA, it pulled out easily.

Mike
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:37 PM
Joined Apr 2014
176 Posts
I'm gathering the stuff comes in a spray can? and if so where would one aquire said stuff?

Pamela
Old Aug 31, 2014, 06:23 PM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
357 Posts
It comes in a bottle and is sprayed with your typical automotive type spray gun. A gravity feed detail gun works great. Just pour a bit in the cup, spray several coats, pour whatever you dont use back in the bottle and clean your gun with water. The key is VERY light, thin coats. When you build the progressive coats up, it will peel like saran wrap. If you bump the mold, it may tear the coating, so you can't be too heavy handed getting the first layer of glass on. But, it will release your part with virtually no effort. Also remember to wash your final part with warm soapy water to get all of the PVA off, or you will have paint adhesion problems later. It's very simple to use and very effective.

I have found it on ebay in various sizde bottles. I think you can get a quart for $15. I can't find my last gallon from when I left my old job, so I was looking recently for when I need to do another part.

Mike