HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2014, 08:53 PM
United States, FL, Ponte Vedra
Joined Dec 2012
208 Posts
Discussion
DJI iOSD mini or iOSD MARK II with Phantom 2

I plan to buy Phantom 2 and would like to clarify something.
There are two expensive "OEM" systems iOSD mini or iOSD MARK II.
From what I saw on screenshots for some mysterious reason there are no GPS coordinates.
Does let's say iOSD mini show any valuable safety-related information (like low battery or Failsafe mode etc.) at all?
Or I can replace it with $15 MinimOSD with GPS coordinates?
Due to flyaway I plan to record the FPV link video and GPS data is essential part in this case.
toshik1 is offline Find More Posts by toshik1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:13 AM
Dji addict ...
Joined Mar 2014
8 Posts
Hello,

There is no GPS coordinates on the screen but you'll always have a square showing you the direction of the Home position. Really useful... If you need the GPS coordinate on the screen during the flight then you can't with those 2 systems.

The difference between iOSD Mini and iOSD Mark II is only the data logger and the availability to have a secondary Video IN ( that you can switch if your TX/RX have this channel to do the switch ).

Both display the voltage ( percentage when flying Phantom2 ), the failsafe On/Off, number of satellites, speed, altitude, ... All functions on the DJI website...

The logs can be read with the app but it's hard to exploit them outside of their app. Pawelsky made an app that decode the files to KML files ... And i did a web app to decode it and display the results ... Still in dev ( http://f01.vmhost.fr/gpstrack/ )

Bye, Guillaume.
gwouite is offline Find More Posts by gwouite
Old Apr 30, 2014, 03:56 PM
Joined Oct 2008
76 Posts
my dji iosd burn out after ten flights.

without coordinates(lat / long).Any cheap osd shows lat and long

if phantom fall, as you will locate it?
odontologo98 is offline Find More Posts by odontologo98
Last edited by odontologo98; Apr 30, 2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 05:36 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,627 Posts
One other significant difference between the Mk. II and the Mini: The Mk. II can (if needed) provide power to the camera and the Video transmitter. The Mini does not.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old May 26, 2014, 10:10 AM
United States, FL, Ponte Vedra
Joined Dec 2012
208 Posts
So there is no chance anyone can figure out how to add GPS coordinates in iOSD mini?
toshik1 is offline Find More Posts by toshik1
Last edited by toshik1; May 26, 2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:17 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshik1 View Post
So there is no chance anyone can figure out how to add GPS coordinates in iOSD mini?
Only DJI.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Oct 10, 2014, 08:26 PM
Joined May 2014
12 Posts
the phantom does not have fly away problems IMO, due to its price its accessible to a lot of people, many of whom are CLUELESS and don't even wait for the RTH, and then fly it till it RTH kicks in, then wonder why the thing flies away.

On top of that its far more popular than most drones, so you are going to get a higher failure rate due to undeniable fact that there are more of them out there, owned by a generally less clued up demographic than those with more expensive drones.

That's not to say all phantom owners are idiots, just that due to its price point its simply accessible to a lot of idiots, many of whom would not invest in anything more expensive.
phantomnoobie is offline Find More Posts by phantomnoobie