HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by twinkle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:14 AM
It can't rain all the time
United Kingdom, Peacehaven
Joined Mar 2009
429 Posts
Discussion
Reflections 2012

Well , Hi Folks and a Happy Christmas to you all ,
Looking back over the past year , It has been a busy one and fruitful , This is the first year I have writen the blog entries and I hope you have enjoyed reading them
The Falcons and Jackal/Jeckel projects ( 5 models and 3 models ) have swelled the hanger and the other little projects have increased the size of the fleet to bursting point ) Next year will be a fly fly fly year with little building for myself.
The weather has not been up to much and there has been more building than flying but it has all been fun and now Its time to look forward into the new year and plan the new year . I hope to do a bit more flying and building will be reduced unless I build anything for others as the hanger is full .
Dad passed away ten years ago and whilst he was able enjoyed sitting on the side of a hill or in a field watching model aircraft flying , One year while we were on holiday in Devon we were flying a RF5 diesel powered 72" semi scale glider from the side of a hill having had a flight of 20+ minutes the engine died in the silence that followed you could hear a bunch of farmers on the hill opposite cheer and after another 5 minutes soaring I landed it at my feet to get another hugh cheer from the farmers on the hill . That was one of the moments he never left off recalling to his friends I still have that glider its over 40 years old now and in need of a little tlc and recovering . the front had been replaced and the fuel soaked wood removed long ago it has an enya 19 in it and it would make an ideal conversion to electric .
The skycart my little fun December project together with the he 1076 has been delayed due to a bit of stupidity on my part , three yards of logs turned up on the driveway delivered by a tipper who tipped and ran , so It left me to move them on my own before I could get the car out , It took almost two weeks before the aches and pains subsided enough to resume normal life , now with the run up to xmas everything is on hold until the new year.
I have found a Miles Sparrowhawk plan on Outerzone , one of my favorite between the wars Single seater aircraft , The original finished in shiney cream with red trim was built near here at Shoreham Airport , at the original Miles Factory. The plan is only 13"span and a rubber powered model I have blown this up to 300% and it has come out at 42" and 305 sqin it will make a great semi scale model for those special occasions

Photos ,
The best photo I have taken this year I think is the mustang it looks almost real as it appears to fly over the houses , this isnt a trick photo, but the perspective has changed due to cropping .
Remember its a 36" span mustang and a 30 foot high house .

The skycart still an unfinished project

My little Bungalow in the snow , It don't snow here too often I'm glad to say.

The New Forest Stoney Cross Airfield the site of one of the main Runways still visable even with the concrete removed almost 50 years ago and the Page from Alan Brown's Book , The 12 airfields showing the original plan of the airfield during the Second World War . Model flying is only allowed in the new forest on one airfield by permit holders . An arketic bann I would think but a ban nether the less .
Part of the Stoneycross Airfield is now a camping and caravan site open during the summer months , We found it an ideal place to explore the surrounding countryside and to explore the few remaining visable parts of the old airfield . This was the last views of the UK that some fighter and bomber crews saw of the UK as they departed on their last mission.
This Airfield was the home to President Obarma's Grandparents for part of WWII

Once again
Thank you for reading and sharing the year with me and Happy Christmas to you all
twinkle is offline Find More Posts by twinkle
Last edited by twinkle; Jan 04, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:53 AM
United States, FL, Masaryktown
Joined Jun 2008
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
Well , Hi Folks and a Happy Christmas to you all ,
Looking back over the past year , It has been a busy one and fruitful , This is the first year I have writen the blog entries and I hope you have enjoyed reading them
The Falcons and Jackal/Jeckel projects ( 5 models and 3 models ) have swelled the hanger and the other little projects have increased the size of the fleet to bursting point ) Next year will be a fly fly fly year with little building for myself.
The weather has not been up to much and there has been more building than flying but it has all been fun and now Its time to look forward into the new year and plan the new year . I hope to do a bit more flying and building will be reduced unless I build anything for others as the hanger is full .
Dad passed away ten years ago and whilst he was able enjoyed sitting on the side of a hill or in a field watching model aircraft flying , One year while we were on holiday in Devon we were flying a RF5 diesel powered 72" semi scale glider from the side of a hill having had a flight of 20+ minutes the engine died in the silence that followed you could here a bunch of farmers on the hill oposite cheer and after another 5 minutes soaring I landed it at my feet to get another hugh cheer from the farmers on the hill . That was one of the moments he never left off recalling to his friends I still have that glider its over 40 years old now and in need of a little tlc and recovering . the front had been replaced and the fuel soaked wood removed long ago it has an enya 19 in it and it would make an ideal conversion to electric .
The skycart my little fun December project together with the he 1076 has been delayed due to a bit of stupidity on my part , three yards of logs turned up on the driveway delivered by a tipper who tipped and ran , so It left me to move them on my own before I could get the car out , It took almost two weeks before the aches and pains subsided enough to resume normal life , now with the run up to xmas everything is on hold until the new year.
I have found a Miles Sparrowhawk plan on Outerzone , one of my favorite between the wars Single seater aircraft , The original finished in shiney cream with red trim was built near here at Shoreham Airport , at the original Miles Factory. The plan is only 13"span and a rubber powered model I have blown this up to 300% and it has come out at 42" and 305 sqin it will make a great semi scale model for those special occasions

Photos ,
The best photo I have taken this year I think is the mustang it looks almost real as it appears to fly over the houses , this isnt a trick photo, but the perspective has changed due to cropping .
Remember its a 36" span mustang and a 30 foot high house .

The skycart still an unfinished project

My little Bungalow in the snow , It don't snow here too often I'm glad to say.

The New Forest Stoney Cross Airfield the site of one of the main Runways still visable even with the concrete removed almost 50 years ago and the Page from Alan Brown's Book , The 12 airfields showing the original plan of the airfield during the Second World War . Model flying is only allowed in the new forest on one airfield by permit holders . An arketic bann I would think but a ban nether the less .
Part of the Stoneycross Airfield is now a camping and caravan site open during the summer months , We found it an ideal place to explore the surrounding countryside and to explore the few remaining visable parts of the old airfield . This was the last views of the UK that some fighter and bomber crews saw of the UK as they departed on their last mission.
This Airfield was the home to President Obarma's Grandparents for part of WWII

Once again
Thank you for reading and sharing the year with me and Happy Christmas to you all
twinkle,
browsing the blogs the mention of Stoney Cross (US airfield) caught my eye and I thought you might be interested in the link below;

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/av...oneyCross.html

Enjoy.

Regards
Frank
phlpsfrnk is offline Find More Posts by phlpsfrnk
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
Your blog has bee fun to follow - and happy christmas to you too

p.s. Its amazing how the airfield show up in the aerial view!
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
It can't rain all the time
United Kingdom, Peacehaven
Joined Mar 2009
429 Posts
More New Forest Airfields

first Thanks Al Glad you enjoy the blog

Second The Book by the late Alan Brown is on of the many books about the New Forest Airfields over 12 existed there and only one is still operational
( Christchurch or Hurn Same place ) The book has many line drawings and is a good basis for
research into the airfields

Bealieu airfield is the only one that flying is allowed by model aircraft by permit holders only

Here is a link to the audio tours of stoney cross airfield

http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/visit...oss-audio-tour

the campsite is

http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/...knell-campsite

regards emma
twinkle is offline Find More Posts by twinkle
Last edited by twinkle; Dec 22, 2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: more info
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:16 AM
How's the wind today?
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
835 Posts
Great reading and spectacular pics. Thank you so much for sharing.
Happy New Years!
Steve
Rcbyair is offline Find More Posts by Rcbyair