HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hammer22, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:38 AM
Joined Sep 2014
0 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkrause View Post
The DSM2/DSMX module works great for the MCX2, no problems at all!

It also works well for a CX2, although from my experience, older CX2ss are DSM2 only and will have a horrible time binding with any newer transmitter. including the DSM2/DSMX module, still it can be done at a distance (about 21 feet = 7 meters, not up close). It seems they like park-flyer controllers (short range) rather than anything more powerful. Just keep trying until it binds--it took me about 8 tries each time I tried a new high-power TX, and only 1 try with a Blade park-flyer TX. Mid-age CX2s have no problem, and new ones seem to like it when the module (or any transmitter) is close to the heli when binding. Once you have the CX2 bound there are no problems and the module works great, as would any other quality transmitter.

The A9 has way more ability than either coax can use, but it does give you the extra channel for enhancing the MCX2's speed, and is a lot of fun!

You probably want to send hammer22 a PM on payment & shipping. It's a great module with excellent support.
Many thanks!!!
blgalev is offline Find More Posts by blgalev
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:56 AM
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
1,188 Posts
Trader Rating: 139
Mine worked perfectly with all Micro BNFs both old and new although I have never had a MCX2. I don't need it any longer, you'll find it over in the radio classifieds.

Dan
dang is offline Find More Posts by dang
Old Sep 17, 2014, 07:46 PM
Joined Feb 2011
76 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Help!!!

Where can I get one of these modules
dascoadams is offline Find More Posts by dascoadams
Old Sep 18, 2014, 08:31 AM
Crashing Spectacularly daily
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Jan 2013
81 Posts
Trader Rating: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dascoadams View Post
Where can I get one of these modules
Dasco,

You probably want to read through the first post in this thread to see if the module will do what you're thinking. If the module fits your need, send a personal message to hammer22 (the little mail icon under his posts in this thread).

The build quality is excellent, and the module is easy to use once you understand how things work, and the included instructions are very detailed and clear.

If the A9 batter power gets below 70% the "version one" module's TX signal gets a bit sketchy, but "version two" is current (I think) and I haven't tested it to see if the same issue exists.
bhkrause is offline Find More Posts by bhkrause
Old Oct 01, 2014, 10:16 AM
United Kingdom, Worthing
Joined Dec 2012
277 Posts
Hi!

I have the Aurora 9 and have just bought the Horizon red bull 130x

Looks like I need a Spektrum DSM2 module for it to work and I found your post.

Is your unit 'plug and play' and can I easily revert to the aurora module when flying my other birds?

If so then can I place a order (I'm in the UK).

Thanks in advance!

Doug
hazardpro is offline Find More Posts by hazardpro
Old Oct 02, 2014, 06:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
81 Posts
Plug-And-Play

Hi Doug,

You are correct, the A9 will not work with the Red Bull out of the box, but if you use the DSM2/DSMX module you'll be in great shape.

You will need to create a model in the A9s model memory, much like you would do when using a Spektrum radio.

You would unplug the Hitec radio module from the back of the A9, then plug the DSM2/DSMX module in. The A9 will then have an option menu for PPM, just follow the printed instructions (very easy). Last one I received used the Spektrum channel order, so you just have to set the channel reversing as you would on a Spektrum radio. (Note that in a flight simulator you would see the A9 channel order, but since the module does the channel re-ordering your model will see the Spektrum order.) Bind the model to the module per the instructions that come with the module (very easy) and all set for the range check!

To return to using your models with Hitec RXs, simply remove the DSM2/DSMX radio module, plug your Hitec radio module back in, and pick the correct model in model memory, just that easy!

There is an option on the v2 module (the ones currently shipping) to use the default A9 channel order, so the A9 would work with both your model and simulator using the same channel order. It requires re-mapping the order in the A9 to match the Spektrum channel order, and it works great. This is optional only, the module can do the channel mapping on it's own otherwise.

However you wish to do it, the printed instructions are very clear and the setup is easy. The A9 has an excellent feature set, and I've personally tested it with a lot of Horzon Hobby models, it works every time.

Because it uses PPM, the one thing the module doesn't have is memory mapping, where one model is bound to one memory location in the TX. This means if you fly a coax with Spektrum, then let it cool and want to fly another coax exactly the same, you'd have to switch to a new model in memory--4 of the exact same coaxes would use 4 memory locations. However, with this module you can bind to one memory location and keep flying different coaxes bound with that A9--awesome. (Same works with cyclic pitch, this was just one example.)
Old Oct 02, 2014, 07:05 PM
United States, NH, Exeter
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Trader Rating: 25
Hi Doug,
What he said!

Yes,
Its just a matter of swapping modules in the TX. The radio automatically detects the type of module and adjusts itself accordingly.
hammer22 is offline Find More Posts by hammer22
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:47 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
Did you get anywhere with spectrum telemetry?
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Oct 11, 2014, 03:07 PM
Throttle goes on a switch
United States, MO, Lebanon
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
PM sent,
Thank you.
Tim
TimT2000 is offline Find More Posts by TimT2000
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:22 PM
Joined Oct 2014
0 Posts
Has anyone been able to use this with a Hubsan x4 quadcopter or could someone confirm it would pair up?
dyst is offline Find More Posts by dyst
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
81 Posts
Hubsan does not use DSMX

Hubsan/Estes/Traxxas uses a unique transmitter, which this module is not capable of impersonating.

Deviation firmware should be able to control an X4 when using a compatible transmitter, although a hardware modification is required.