SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:18 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
.....These are 6 channel receivers, set up with 5 channels of controls and an X-Port.......
Just to clarify - these are 6 channel receivers with six channels of proportional control. CH 5 shares the 4-pin jack with the X-Port, while CH 6 shares the 'reversed CH 2' jack. CH 5 & 6 are not available with the X-Port enabled, and CH 6 is not available when the brick is in reversed CH 2 mode. All six fully-proportional channels are available when the brick is in 6-channel mode.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:53 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
These is almost no fighting on the symmetrical airfoil Sbach3D with the AS3x. Even though the Sbach has HUGE tail surfaces. Like I mentioned earlier AS3X is getting blamed for an aerodynamic effect of the undercambered airfoil and small enpennage.

-Brian
Yeah that's what I was getting at. If the AS3X is doing its thing in certain situations, due to the design of the plane it's going to seem to "fight" you. If the wind is trying to push your wing over hard and the AS3X is rolling ailerons almost full travel then your full stick movement surely does inactivate the AS3X gain but the ailerons were already nearly full travel and you don't gain much. Hence, you think the AS3X won't let you roll. I've never flown on a calm day and felt the AS3X do anything at all.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:26 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I've never felt that the AS3X system has ever "fought" me...All of my commands have overridden the AS3X inputs...

I maidened my CC this evening at sunset...Too bad I didn't get a vid of it as the CC was striking against the backlit sunset...

Back to the maiden flight---This plane feels just like all of my other high wing monoplanes with ailerons and little dihedral...The ailerons make the plane bank but you MUST use the rudder for a coordinated turn!!!...Without using the rudder the plane will feel as though it's fighting you as the tail will just be dragging in the turn...I'm thinking that this is where a lot of the complaints are originating from....If the tail drags and the plane gets too slow then the result could look like a snap...My maiden went well with no trim except for the elevator...I needed a ton of down elevator trim...This could be due to the aft CG I was running or the elevator needing adjustment...The elevator was at neutral so I'm giving the nod to an aft CG...

I didn't use the flaps on the first flight...I did do some touch and goes---The plane is pretty clean without flaps and the CC will gain speed with the nose pointed down at idle throttle...The plane will execute the prettiest touch and goes with the tail not touching, riding the mains until you are ready to advance the throttle to lift off...

Lastly---I removed the spinner as from the factory it wasn't glued on center to the prop...This caused vibrations that could clearly be seen with the ailerons chattering at full throttle...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Some great comments in response to the situation I outlined. Thanks.
Similar experiences tell me that the 3 axis gyros, or at least the way it's implemented with the CC, can require more attention to technique with this plane than with other ultra micros.

This is actually a good thing. It has made me pay more attention to coordinating turns with the rudder - had to learn the hard way but learn I did.

My flying fields for these small planes are surrounded by trees, valleys and small hills, some buildings, posts and other obstacles. Wind is rarely undisturbed. It is multi-directionally turbulent. The problem encountered with the CC having the 3 axis gyro system in these conditions is that it may not always immediately respond to control inputs as the other planes do because it's making its own corrections to the turbulent winds. My helis and other planes react immediately to commands as expected but there have been situations when the CC seemed to momentarily have a mind of its own. At first it seemed as though connection with the receiver had been lost. However, now I understand what was actually happening. Slow speed in turbulence is not good with AS3X.

The experiences I've had and the comments made are enlightening. AS3X in the CC is not "bad" by any means, it's just different and can require a different attention to pilot control. Most of the time I really like it. The only thing that has been wrong was my awareness. It's all a matter of learning how to control the machine and not let it control you.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:26 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,873 Posts
I don't like it...that's life...
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:38 AM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
I don't like it...that's life...
I can certainly appreciate your dislike of it for reasons you mentioned - At first, I thought the problem was a loss of signal when it didn't immediately respond as expected. It's different that's for sure - and it takes a bit of getting accustomed to how it reacts.
In general I like the CC, its appearance, features. After getting to know its peccadilloes I'm sure flying it will be a joy too.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I just put in the second flight on my CC...I used a larger 200mAh battery from my MiG...The battery was shoved all of the way forward and the plane definately had a forward CG...I got the CC a couple of mistakes high and deployed the flaps...The flaps are on a 3 position switch and deploy slowly...The flaps go up about twice as fast as they deploy but still much slower than stock...

Anyway---My plane definately pitches up with the flaps deployed---Even deploying the flaps flying as slowly as possible, close to the stall, the plane still pitches up...I don't know why some have pitch up issues with the flaps deployed and some don't...The manual even covers the pitching up issue and discusses incorporating a flap to elevator mix---Which I'm going to do...

In anticipation of installing floats I placed the rudder pushrod in the second most inner hole for more throw...I like it in flight but on wheels the plane is a booger on the ground...Very sensitive ground handling...Had to go to low rates with a lot of expo for ground handling on hard surfaces...

Additionally, I didn't like how much elevator throw the plane has in the stock configuration...I moved the control rod inward to the second hole on the horn...The plane now has MUCH better elevator response...The plane felt sluggish to me out of the box...

When I get the plane trimmed out and flying how I like it with the flaps deployed I'll install the floats and give them a go on the pond in my back yard...

Kevin
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:28 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
The battery was shoved all of the way forward and the plane definately had a forward CG...I don't know why some have pitch up issues with the flaps deployed and some don't...
I'm just a newb, but I'm under the impression that if your COG is too far forward then you'll have pitch issues.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:

Anyway---My plane definately pitches up with the flaps deployed---Even deploying the flaps flying as slowly as possible, close to the stall, the plane still pitches up...I don't know why some have pitch up issues with the flaps deployed and some don't...The manual even covers the pitching up issue and discusses incorporating a flap to elevator mix---Which I'm going to do...

I've only flown the CC with floats so far.

There was absolutely no pitching when the flaps were deployed in stages - but - the delay was 4 seconds, speed was slow, throttle reduced, and I mixed a little down elevator, and perhaps the floats have a moderating effect as well. The delay will be reduced to 2 or 3 to see if there is any difference. I'll also try it without the delay.

Waiting for snow - it all melted.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
I've only flown the CC with floats so far.

There was absolutely no pitching when the flaps were deployed in stages - but - the delay was 4 seconds, speed was slow, throttle reduced, and I mixed a little down elevator, and perhaps the floats have a moderating effect as well. The delay will be reduced to 2 or 3 to see if there is any difference. I'll also try it without the delay.

Waiting for snow - it all melted.
That's the point......When you mixed the elevator it took out the pitch issues---As per the instructions...I'm soon going to post a vid of my flap deployment...

Kevin..
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:19 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
For what it's worth...

I have a DX7, which doesn't offer servo slowing, or any slider/knob for flaps. On my only flights so far, I had flaps 0 or full tied to the gear switch. They deploy full speed, which is fast.

As per the instructions, I used the 40% elevator mix. During flight I deployed the flaps several times, at various (all somewhat slow) airspeeds. To my memory, there was very little change in attitude either in deployment or retraction, slow or a bit faster. I realize this limits elevator travel for the flare, but I just land a little fast anyway, since it's always windy here.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
That's the point......When you mixed the elevator it took out the pitch issues---As per the instructions...I'm soon going to post a vid of my flap deployment...

Kevin..
Yes - that's what I meant to say. The delay may also help in that regard as well.

Do you think delay is required, and if so how many seconds? habitforming has no delay and no ballooning -
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:26 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Just a quick shakey vid of the flaps operating with a cheap keychain camera...As you can see the flaps are pretty slow when deploying...

Kevin

CC flaps (0 min 47 sec)
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:59 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined May 2011
111 Posts
So I got some batteries ordered. I know everyone said to stay away from the 180 nanotech but. The US warehouse doesn't have the 260, so I ordered 2 of the 180s and one Hyperion 240. Should have em all by Wednesday. Hoping to maiden on the stock eflite battery tomorrow if the weather holds, really hoping it does, this thing just keeps screaming at me to be flown.

Also I jeep hearing of using a delay on the flaps. I've never used flaps before and was just curious what kind of delay I should program in. I believe on the dx7s my options are normal and then in second intervals. Also to have the flaps up I had to program it to 100 normal, 50 mid and 0 land. If I reversed the flap servo it just tried overextending no matter what I had programmed in. Just curious if this is normal?

Can't wait to fly this thing for a few packs so I can throw on the floats and do some snow takeoffs. Gonna try and flew her in my courtyard at my apartment complex. Plenty of dry sidewalk for takeoffs and landings, then plenty of snow on the grassy part for float tradeoffs.
Gmoney97lgt is offline Find More Posts by Gmoney97lgt
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
Just a quick shakey vid of the flaps operating with a cheap keychain camera...As you can see the flaps are pretty slow when deploying...
That appears to be the same speed that mine deploy.

But - if a mix with the elevator can eliminate pitching/ballooning then why bother with a slow deploying of the flaps?
In somewhat answering my own question with other questions - do you really need the elevator mix if you use a delay? Can it be one or the other?
Last edited by midnite; Feb 02, 2013 at 10:45 PM.