SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2012, 06:04 AM
New RC geek!
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Hi
Can I use galvanized steel as wire around my PVC former?
Inge
Ingiskhan is offline Find More Posts by Ingiskhan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 06:06 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2011
228 Posts
Deleted.
slarys is offline Find More Posts by slarys
Last edited by slarys; May 10, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:39 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingiskhan View Post
Hi
Can I use galvanized steel as wire around my PVC former?
Inge
Absolutely!
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old May 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
What about a single sided pcb for reflector?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old May 10, 2012, 09:33 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
What about a single sided pcb for reflector?
Thats what I do. The material beind the reflector does not have influence. So basically what counts is the copper cladded surface of that PCB and as such it's a very good reflector due to the fact it's copper. Any well conducting material would work though.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
Fool for Christ's sake
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jan 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Thats what I do. The material beind the reflector does not have influence. So basically what counts is the copper cladded surface of that PCB and as such it's a very good reflector due to the fact it's copper. Any well conducting material would work though.

Markus
Is there much loss if I reverse the single-sided pcb so that the copper side is away from the helix? I was thinking the I could use the thickness of the pcb to produce a uniform gap between reflector and feed point in the first quarter turn.
brianmcg is offline Find More Posts by brianmcg
Old May 11, 2012, 02:40 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
That will not really result in loss. However it will throw off the positioning as the dielectric of the PCb will cause a shift.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old May 13, 2012, 04:23 AM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2010
66 Posts
helix

I also use single sided pcb for reflector
costi_n is offline Find More Posts by costi_n
Old May 13, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Thanks Costin!
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old May 13, 2012, 06:58 PM
Assault the sky
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
the thicker the better, right? I used 1/4" OD refrigerator tubing. Will this work? This is for 1280MHz

(yes, I know it's left-handed)
secretspy711 is offline Find More Posts by secretspy711
Old May 14, 2012, 04:17 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretspy711 View Post
the thicker the better, right? I used 1/4" OD refrigerator tubing. Will this work? This is for 1280MHz

(yes, I know it's left-handed)
No, the thicker the more wideband. A good thickness for this frequency would be 4.6mm ~0.18". It will work though.

The more wideband - especially a helica - is, the more it picks up noise from frequency wise nearby sources. You don't want that as it stuffs the RF input stage of your receiver. I personally strive to make my helicals as narrowband as it gets for the very reason. Again, it WILL work, and unless you fly in a urban area with a high RF noise floor, you will get good results.

HTH

Markus
Old May 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
Assault the sky
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
Thank you Markus. Is there any chance of damaging my receiver with this? I will try this antenna but I may look for thinner tube. .18 is optimal?
secretspy711 is offline Find More Posts by secretspy711
Old May 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretspy711 View Post
Thank you Markus. Is there any chance of damaging my receiver with this? I will try this antenna but I may look for thinner tube. .18 is optimal?
No worries, unless you hook your antenna up to the power outlet or similar your rx won't complain. Regarding the wire thikness - no worries here too. See, this is a DIYer thread right? So if you are happy with results as you can expect from something like this you are totally totally fine. If you are after breaking the current long range record inside a city, well then the story is different.

Markus
Old May 14, 2012, 11:56 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
I have two questions:

o What is the ideal dimension for the centre conductor to exit the coaxial shield above the reflector? In Secretspy711’s second photo above, it looks like it exits half an inch or so above the reflector. Is this ideal?

o It is OK to drill a hole in the reflector through which to pass the coaxial feedline, directly under the start point of the coil? This would make it easy for me to place the VRX on the back of the antenna. I’d also like to drill holes for mounting other things, but I’m just wondering if drilling holes in the reflector effects things at all.

Sub
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old May 15, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
I have two questions:

o What is the ideal dimension for the centre conductor to exit the coaxial shield above the reflector? In Secretspy711s second photo above, it looks like it exits half an inch or so above the reflector. Is this ideal?

o It is OK to drill a hole in the reflector through which to pass the coaxial feedline, directly under the start point of the coil? This would make it easy for me to place the VRX on the back of the antenna. Id also like to drill holes for mounting other things, but Im just wondering if drilling holes in the reflector effects things at all.

Sub
I start by answering your second part: It's ok to drill that hole at the feed point. Actually almost everybody does it like this. Other holes are also not problematic. In fact the reflector could be reduced to only a circularly shaped wire. I still would try to keep the number of holes small and symetircal.

To answer the first part, use this excellent online calculator.

http://jcoppens.com/ant/helix/calc.en.php

I am not sure, but I asume you refer to the distance called "a" in jc's calculator. So the link should answer your question for the frequency and helical dimension you are after.

Markus