HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:08 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
The Nano is supposed to be much easier than previous CP's. If I understand right, it doesn't even need trimming.

I have rolled around the thought of one also.
Saw them in my LHS today when I popped in on my way home from work. Had to resist the urge. After following the Carbon Cub and 130x since their release I want to see how this plays out first... hopefully less (or no) issues
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Thanks a lot guys for the responses. I fell asleep shortly after posting. I got the fly bar to move by applying some considerable force to the swashplate as I thought it might be a bearing issue which I think it maybe. But there is so much DIY that has been done it could be anything. The good news is that the rotors will now spin fast enough to fly no worries. The bad news I have zero control because of the swash plate (balls broke, glued on end of links and one of the servos is pretty much knackered.

Regarding the don't go there. I went there as I had no choice because one of my holes snapped but the servo/heli hasnt worked properly ever since the solder issue where I melted it anyway.

The reason why I think the balls are on their last legs is I've had numerous ones now snap and the leg bits that are attached to the balls are starting to go that colour where they have been played with a bit too much.

I definitely need a new swash plate as there are no balls and Im doubting the bearings and links are as bent as bent can be.

One other little worry was the rear boom came off. When it was off, both rotors would run no problem. When I pushed it in too far neither the main rotor or rear rotor would run? Any ideas.

I will look into the collar issue but as the servos are so screwed, there is probably little point now. Im quite happy that the rotors ran well though. But more fixing required. Might look into getting another SR120 if i can find one second hand but over here they seem to go for nearly the same price as new ones.

I will probably carry on the fixing cause though for one last time. After that it is a new heli and the old one for spares (bad spares)
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Last edited by SR120 fan; Oct 04, 2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:27 AM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Does anyone know what is up with HeliFreak????
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743908
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:43 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know what is up with HeliFreak????
Are you calling me a freak???? Or, what's up with the forum?

Edit: Oh, now I see your link. Nothing came up on my Mac.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:11 PM
Registered Abuser
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Nov 2010
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Thanks a lot guys for the responses. I fell asleep shortly after posting. I got the fly bar to move by applying some considerable force to the swashplate as I thought it might be a bearing issue which I think it maybe. But there is so much DIY that has been done it could be anything. The good news is that the rotors will now spin fast enough to fly no worries. The bad news I have zero control because of the swash plate (balls broke, glued on end of links and one of the servos is pretty much knackered.

Regarding the don't go there. I went there as I had no choice because one of my holes snapped but the servo/heli hasnt worked properly ever since the solder issue where I melted it anyway.

The reason why I think the balls are on their last legs is I've had numerous ones now snap and the leg bits that are attached to the balls are starting to go that colour where they have been played with a bit too much.

I definitely need a new swash plate as there are no balls and Im doubting the bearings and links are as bent as bent can be.

One other little worry was the rear boom came off. When it was off, both rotors would run no problem. When I pushed it in too far neither the main rotor or rear rotor would run? Any ideas.

I will look into the collar issue but as the servos are so screwed, there is probably little point now. Im quite happy that the rotors ran well though. But more fixing required. Might look into getting another SR120 if i can find one second hand but over here they seem to go for nearly the same price as new ones.

I will probably carry on the fixing cause though for one last time. After that it is a new heli and the old one for spares (bad spares)

Sorry but, did you say you glued the links on to the swash balls?
Chris.S. is offline Find More Posts by Chris.S.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:04 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
Chris, you beat me to it. I read it the same way...

@120SR fan, Please post some pictures of your work and what you've done. BTW, pull the boom out from the main frame carefully. You'll notice there is a notch at the top (inside the hole). Make sure your wires are inside that notch/channel when you slide the boom back in. Inspect the wires while you have the boom off. It's possible you could have damaged a wire if it was put in there wrong.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
No balls to glue onto as they were long gone. Glued straight onto the swash plate. Desperate times lol
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Chris, you beat me to it. I read it the same way...

@120SR fan, Please post some pictures of your work and what you've done. BTW, pull the boom out from the main frame carefully. You'll notice there is a notch at the top (inside the hole). Make sure your wires are inside that notch/channel when you slide the boom back in. Inspect the wires while you have the boom off. It's possible you could have damaged a wire if it was put in there wrong.

Mike.
You don't want pictures. They would make you cringe. In fairness if it wasnt for the one knackered servo I reckon I could get her flying in some sort of fashion.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:50 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:
No balls to glue onto as they were long gone. Glued straight onto the swash plate. Desperate times lol
Wow! That can't possibly work. If the balls are not perfectly straight, you will always have problems. Unless, of course, you have meticulously placed these balls directly back on like the original. If you can do that, you should just build your own helicopters!!! Use the parts as a pattern and create your own 2X one or something!
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:58 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,842 Posts
Break out the champagne!!!! My DX8 has returned!!!

They repaired the left trim mechanism, but surprisingly, they also replaced both gimbals!!! I didn't think there was anything wrong with the gimbals. Now I'm wondering why they thought they needed to be replaced????

I could understand, however, if I've totally worn out the gimbals after the first year. Hey, as many times I've had to pull UP, steer RIGHT, steer LEFT, and WOAHHHH, watch out for that tree!!!!! Yeah, I could have worn out the gimbals.

I just went out and flew my 120 #3 in the wind and I am glad to see that the memory wasn't erased. When the wind dies down, I'll fly #1 & #2. I hate that darkness is coming way too soon now in this area.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:58 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,485 Posts
Quote:
Dude, let me get this straight as I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.

Are you telling us the ball is long gone. GONE! Right? That means you glued the link (that plastic piece with a hole at each end) right to the swashplate?

Am I reading you correct?

Mike
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:32 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,296 Posts
SR 120 FAN!!

Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Last edited by Jake8131; Oct 04, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:01 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,438 Posts
Quote:
Dude, let me get this straight as I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.

Are you telling us the ball is long gone. GONE! Right? That means you glued the link (that plastic piece with a hole at each end) right to the swashplate?

Mike
No Mike you silly bird, he glued the balls back on the swash plate!

SR120 Fan, don't pay any attention to these guys. I will slap them for you!

But anyway, just a thought for you... a simulator such as Phoenix or RealFlight can save a bunch of money on real aircraft parts and repairs.

It doesn't cost any repairs parts to crash time and time again with a sim.
My first 120 wound up in the boneyard real fast. If I would have had my Phoenix Sim first, I am positive my first 120 would still be around.

If/when you decide to upgrade to a computerized radio, such as the DX6i, you can also play with the settings in the radio to tame your real bird down, and in the simulator also.

I have Phoenix and the physics are very realistic. I am currently using it to prepare myself for the maiden flight of my Parkzone Spitfire Mark9.

Just a thought for you, I know it is expensive but if a person plans to stay in this hobby, the sim and a good radio are worth gold.

Cheers!

Kyle
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:

Mike
Yes. That's what I did. Guilty as charged. I'm assuming by the replies that this achievement/blasphemy isn't committed too often or with preferential results?

Quote:
SR 120 FAN!!

Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
No Mike you silly bird, he glued the balls back on the swash plate!

SR120 Fan, don't pay any attention to these guys. I will slap them for you!

But anyway, just a thought for you... a simulator such as Phoenix or RealFlight can save a bunch of money on real aircraft parts and repairs.

It doesn't cost any repairs parts to crash time and time again with a sim.
My first 120 wound up in the boneyard real fast. If I would have had my Phoenix Sim first, I am positive my first 120 would still be around.

If/when you decide to upgrade to a computerized radio, such as the DX6i, you can also play with the settings in the radio to tame your real bird down, and in the simulator also.

I have Phoenix and the physics are very realistic. I am currently using it to prepare myself for the maiden flight of my Parkzone Spitfire Mark9.

Just a thought for you, I know it is expensive but if a person plans to stay in this hobby, the sim and a good radio are worth gold.

Cheers!

Kyle
Unfortunately. The balls in question were not reglued and Chap got his head around it successfully. I quite want to show you the pics now. When I get home from Uni I will use the wife's phone and upload you the glory that is my glueing.

It must be said that I tried glueing the balls on but they were just not up to the job. I wasnt expecting great results. Just wanted her back in the air as it had been such a quick demise and parts take a little while to get here or i'm just impatient.

Regrading the simulator. I was already thinking about one and think you are right that it should go onto my more immediate list of things to obtain. I will get this one going again the more traditional route i.e no super glue and might just get a cheap one off ebay to get my fix around the house as I will probably get an mSR off someone for my birthday at the end of the month to play with.

Let the ridiculing begin

Had I started flying my SR120 in a park it would have lasted a lot longer but alas lack of common sense got the better of me and it was walls and trees galore
Last edited by SR120 fan; Oct 05, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:41 AM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Well, At least you did not use duct tape. You didn't did you?LOLWS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit