SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2015, 06:35 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,470 Posts
Sorry to hear that You might look through the pictures that have been posted to the thread, some show opened chargers. Go to the top of the page, click on "Thread tools", then click on "Show attachments in this thread".

One example, which appears to be a 406Duo:
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...DUO-4x10nF.jpg

Another, which seems to be a 308Duo:
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...o308_board.jpg

I would speculate that the 308Duo and 406Duo might use the same part? They both have the same incoming power and voltage limits (60A, 30V). The 4010Duo can take 65A and 50V.

So the rest of us can better understand what happened (and therefore, what we need to avoid), can you clarify a bit? You said you had the charger connected to 24V, then you connected a jumper between the supplies? What jumper, what does it do? Does the incoming voltage to the charger change when you do this?
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:07 PM
Rick
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2011
346 Posts
wait i got it wrong...it was all hooked up 24volts and the jumper between the supplies was in place... but i onlyl had one supply AC pluggedin...when i plugged in the second supply AC cord.. it jumped from 12 to 24 volts while charging..and i heard a snap ..and that was it.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-component.jpg

but now i have the first three RU not RL and a 4
1hander is online now Find More Posts by 1hander
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:20 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,470 Posts
OK. That, unfortunately, makes more sense. Although it's the first time I've heard of someone having the voltage *increase* by 12V while charging.

A number of chargers have been damaged by a single series-connected supply shutting *down* while charging, taking the charger from 24V to 12V. The charger can't react to the big change quickly enough, and sometimes they are damaged.

coolice makes a circuit to protect the charger against the one-supply-shutting-down scenario. Some info here, or send coolice a PM if interested:
http://www.coolice.co.uk/cfs/icemeter.html
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:25 PM
Rick
Joined Jan 2011
346 Posts
im definately buying that..

so i have

RU4 90R

getting closer LOL
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:53 PM
Rick
Joined Jan 2011
346 Posts
whatta ya think fellas doews this look like it

http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pd...1/RU4099R.html
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:04 PM
Rick
Joined Jan 2011
346 Posts
that was not it, i think ii nailed it finally after digging through all the mosfet to220 through hold mount mosfets.. etc etc .. been digging for hours...

RU40190R

40 volt 190Amp N channel power mosfet

buti dont see an R, i only find an S .. im not sure what thedifference is... maybe the s just superceded the R... im having trouble finding one though
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:23 PM
Rick
Joined Jan 2011
346 Posts
the RU40190R is made by a company called ruichips http://www.ruichips.com/english/product.asp

for anyonewho may be interested, i got on mouser . com
and did a search for mosfet to-220 mount

then i used the filter to match up the specs with the ru41019r ... the only difference is the the amperage ... AUIRFB8407 is a 195amp constant currect and the original is 190Amp.... there a couple of very very tiny differences in 1 or two of the specs... but im pretty sure ittl work great... well see io guess, i ordered 5 from mouser
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
5,022 Posts
I received a new 308duo (with the new balance boards) to replace the one that went up in smoke. In the mean time I bought a 406duo to keep me going.

I have the two units sitting side by side, but the new 308 duo, at switch on, shows an internal temperature that is 12 degree higher than the 406duo, which is showing close to ambient (21). What's up with that?

I left if off for a couple of hours and it's still reading 33 degrees after switch on, even though ambient had dropped a couple of degrees. Is it faulty? Is there a calibration setting for the internal temperature that I've missed? I wonder if the temperature reading will even change when charging and discharging...
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,470 Posts
There's no calibration process for the temperature that I know of. Let us know if it does change during charging (or discharging, which would show it more easily).
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
5,022 Posts
Thanks. It does change temperature. If I leave it sitting powered on, not charging, the fan will even come on at low speed, as it creeps over 39 degrees. The 406duo is showing 28 degrees at this time.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Today, 03:04 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,470 Posts
The only thing I can think of, if you don't want to send it back (sorry), would be to maybe adjust (raise) the threshold temperatures for the fan, and for reducing output power.

This assumes that it appears to read consistently, merely offset too-high.

You might be able to have the fans come on at something closer to the proper actual temperatures, despite a shifted-too-high temperature reading on the charger.

But this is certainly not a perfect solution.