HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
756 Posts
G'day guys,
You know, if the worst thing we have to worry about is whether we use a gyro or not, we really do not have all that much to worry about

And I am thankful for that.

It has been mentioned before and that is that you still have to fly the thing regardless.

Have a good weekend of flying guys...right now I am looking out the window at zero wind 25*C a little bit of high cloud, in other words perfect. Tomorrow is forecast to be the same. So guess where I am going right now.......nup, I have to mow the lawn.

Regards and respect
Daryl
wrongroad is offline Find More Posts by wrongroad
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongroad View Post
G'day guys,
You know, if the worst thing we have to worry about is whether we use a gyro or not, we really do not have all that much to worry about

And I am thankful for that.

It has been mentioned before and that is that you still have to fly the thing regardless.

Have a good weekend of flying guys...right now I am looking out the window at zero wind 25*C a little bit of high cloud, in other words perfect. Tomorrow is forecast to be the same. So guess where I am going right now.......nup, I have to mow the lawn.

Regards and respect
Daryl

Started putting mine together today with a 9 channel Graupner 3xG R/X. Two aileron channels and two flap channels for fine control surface tweaking.

There will be some 3 axis gyro in there, where I need it. Switchable of course. More interested in fitting a LIPO tap for the telemetry output. I like to know if I am SOL before the ESC becomes my landing-master!

This FMS stuff is really good to work with. Hope the LG is robust?

E.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
756 Posts
G'day Eric,
The gear is good but it will only take so many 'arrivals'.
I have found that all the landing gear in FMS models is good but it is up to pilot to make the landings good.
I was happy to sacrifice a set of landing gear in my T-28 when I first started to fly it as I was making some lousy landings but I was happy to admit it. I did not blame the gear at all. In fact I was amazed that it stood up as well as it did.
I often hear a thump of a model landing at my local strip and smile when the pilot says 'it was a good landing but the gear collapsed!' Thump is not a good landing

I have one good piece of advice...be soft and gentle as best you can and be prepared to buy a new set of gear if you are a bit heavy with your landings.
Even if you have heaps of flight time a new model is still new to you.
You will find the 109 to be a wonderful model to fly and see will handle getting down slow really well but too slow makes her harder to land in my opinion. She will land much better with a bit of speed and with that comes better control at the flair.
Also, if you chop the throttle once you are on the ground, that seems to upset her natural balance and starts the ground handling woes. Ease the throttle back and it will take out many of her bad habits. At least that is what I am finding as time goes on and I get get more time in the air with her.
Regards and respect
Daryl

PS. It is still a great day for flying here and I have only just finished the lawn.
wrongroad is offline Find More Posts by wrongroad
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
Fly it like you're in it
Canada, ON, London
Joined Nov 2012
717 Posts
Excellent advice!
microlyn is offline Find More Posts by microlyn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dynam 262 build
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,792 Posts
Great post Daryl and although I can't say I manage smooth powered landings consistently that is definitely my aim regardless of the type of plane. Well.... tail draggers anyhow.
No one has answered my question I posted before thou in regard to gyro mode when landing. What mode do you use when landing ?
Always good to get the lawns done.

Brent.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongroad View Post
G'day Eric,
The gear is good but it will only take so many 'arrivals'.
I have found that all the landing gear in FMS models is good but it is up to pilot to make the landings good.
I was happy to sacrifice a set of landing gear in my T-28 when I first started to fly it as I was making some lousy landings but I was happy to admit it. I did not blame the gear at all. In fact I was amazed that it stood up as well as it did.
I often hear a thump of a model landing at my local strip and smile when the pilot says 'it was a good landing but the gear collapsed!' Thump is not a good landing

I have one good piece of advice...be soft and gentle as best you can and be prepared to buy a new set of gear if you are a bit heavy with your landings.
Even if you have heaps of flight time a new model is still new to you.
You will find the 109 to be a wonderful model to fly and see will handle getting down slow really well but too slow makes her harder to land in my opinion. She will land much better with a bit of speed and with that comes better control at the flair.
Also, if you chop the throttle once you are on the ground, that seems to upset her natural balance and starts the ground handling woes. Ease the throttle back and it will take out many of her bad habits. At least that is what I am finding as time goes on and I get get more time in the air with her.
Regards and respect
Daryl

PS. It is still a great day for flying here and I have only just finished the lawn.

appreciate the input - thank you.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Today, 04:05 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
Great post Daryl and although I can't say I manage smooth powered landings consistently that is definitely my aim regardless of the type of plane. Well.... tail draggers anyhow.
No one has answered my question I posted before thou in regard to gyro mode when landing. What mode do you use when landing ?
Always good to get the lawns done.

Brent.
Kaikokid - I am only using the A3 Pro SE in "Normal" mode (Not 3d mode) / (No heading mode) / (No Self Righing mode).....I find the "normal mode" with muted aileron and rudder gains with higher rudder gains working well for me.

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin