HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2010, 02:00 AM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
805 Posts
Discussion
Best Sailplane Radio

Dear Forum,
I am getting back in the hobby, and need to get up to speed on radios again. What is considered the preferred sailplane radio now? Ease of programmability, flexibility for all types of planes, price, and performance?
Thanks!
Mike
ForeverFlying is offline Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2010, 06:29 AM
Joined May 2005
75 Posts
Everyone has their brand preference and most of the high end radios will do the job well.

My preference is the SD10-G

Jeff
jml724 is online now Find More Posts by jml724
Old May 08, 2010, 06:30 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
971 Posts
They all are the best!

Hello Mike
They all are the best! All brand have their supporters.
Most of the toprange radio from every manufacturer is good enough.
I prefer Multiplex Royal Pro with M-Link 2,4 GHz.

/Ville
liukku is online now Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2010, 09:59 AM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
I own a 12x and like it a lot. More than enough functionality to do anything I want and JR's customer service is second to none!

The Airtronics SD10-G is getting very high marks on RCG and from two very experienced friends who have one. When I came back into soaring a little over a year ago, this radio was not available. Had it been I might be flying Airtronics not JR.

And do not forget about the JR 9503, another possibility.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old May 08, 2010, 10:24 AM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
What about the really cheap radios from Hobby King and Hobby Partz?

I got an $11.00 HobbyWing ESC from Hobby Partz that seems to do the job...what about their other electronics?
JOHNNYDXYZ is offline Find More Posts by JOHNNYDXYZ
Old May 08, 2010, 11:03 AM
California
Joined May 2010
295 Posts
Try the Spektrum DX6i radio. It can hold ten planes/gliders/helicopters or whatever you want to fly. There pretty cheap for how good they are, you can find them new at the cheapest price of about $150.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM6620

-Kyle
K_Heff is offline Find More Posts by K_Heff
Old May 08, 2010, 11:58 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I just picked up a Futaba 12 FG and so far like it a lot. Plus, I can use it on 72 mhz and 2.4. Remember if you buy used you can get a better radio for less. The 12 FG is about $1000. No way I would pay that. In fact mine looks like new, had a spare battery and I paid about half that.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old May 08, 2010, 12:53 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,193 Posts
The new JR11X has improved sailplane programming, might be something to consider. Not yet generally available, though.
tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old May 08, 2010, 01:00 PM
There are voices in my head...
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2010
133 Posts
In my humble opinion, it totally depends on what features you'd be looking for, I haven't had any of the newer radios, I use an old T9CAP from Futaba, not the easiest to program but it gets er done... There are some things to consider when you're picking your next radio besides the price, features such as EPA's, V-Tail Mixes, butterfly or Crow, Full span camber, Aileron diff, the list goes on... I would suggest perhaps checking to see what features you'd be flying on your ultimate sailplane and gear yourself to a radio that is the cheapest with all the features... don't skimp on the big names though, they have years of experience in this market and I wouldn't trust just any brand to keep my sailplanes flying... like Steve said, if you buy used, you could get a REALLY nice radio for cheap, I originally bought my T9CAP from ebay, came with a Spectra module (yah uh oh) for about 120$ used...
DoctorBadVibez is offline Find More Posts by DoctorBadVibez
Old May 08, 2010, 03:56 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Airtronics SD-10G, Hitec Aurora 9, Futaba 8FG or 12FG.

'Nuff said...
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 08, 2010, 04:11 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
"...just picked up a Futaba 12 FG..."
=====
A really wonderful radio. Capable of so many things: just as one example, if you use aileron-rudder coupling but want it to turn off automatically when you touch the rudder stick, no problem. Back up your programs? Sure, right to the SD card in the radio, no computer needed. Eight flight modes, all functions assignable to any switch or lever, every switch has 3 positions, and so on and on. Sometimes Tower has coupons that bring the price down too.
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep
Old May 08, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
208 Posts
I use the trusty Cockpit sx- a great 'sports' radio and simple to use. Fly my 3.65m Shadow etc., no worries, only thing missing is multi-point flap curve. A cheap 'sailplane' radio!
mikey100 is offline Find More Posts by mikey100
Old May 09, 2010, 02:36 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,801 Posts
Sd-10g
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old May 09, 2010, 02:45 PM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
454 Posts
Aurora 9. If you buy the spectra module for it, it will do 72 mhz, both positive and negative shift and also PCM with hitec PCM receivers. 2.4 GHZ is rock solid using hitec's frequency hopping. I flew my Tsunami F3J on it perfectly when my 9303 with a Ar7000 rx would not in it. It has telemetry...meaning the radio will tell you what your RX voltage is. That would have kept me from crashing my moldie two years ago. Say good bye to all those battery indicator led's! Plus, it has a bunch of flight modes and you can change what any channel controls and also what the input is for that control. Plus, the radio costs less than any other the others mentioned. And better yet, the sailplane receivers are cheaper than the other brands. I am setting up my 3.5m xplorer with a 9 channel receiver right now!
burke757 is online now Find More Posts by burke757
Old May 09, 2010, 11:30 PM
Denver CO
Joined Oct 2007
275 Posts
I do not know if he still does but Skip Miller had the SG on sale for around 349.00. A great price on a radio that will do everything you need. If you want to go the cheap route I would look for Stylus that people are getting rid of to get the SG. You can prob get one with mem card and glider card for under 175 or so.

Bruce
RBMartin is offline Find More Posts by RBMartin