HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Now, with Laser cutting, everything fits so good that you almost never even need thick (gap filling) CA any more!
well i cant confirm that the lasercut for the stab at the 60 extra is satisfying.

my wish and the only real solution would be cf-tube mounting like the bigger planes.
that and a cowling attachment the same as the 91exp and i would agree the kits are perfect.
well, lets add optional cf canopys.
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
well i cant confirm that the lasercut for the stab at the 60 extra is satisfying.

my wish and the only real solution would be cf-tube mounting like the bigger planes.
that and a cowling attachment the same as the 91exp and i would agree the kits are perfect.
well, lets add optional cf canopys.
I've heard many remarks about the stab. Out of all the planes I've owned, the 60 extra had the worst fitting stab of them all. My edge was perfect, but my extra was horrible. Is this an ongoing issue on the extra, or just a larger population than normal experiencing these issues?
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
I don't recall any out of the ordinary problems with my first 60" Extra horizontal stab...haven't gotten around to the second. I'll keep my eyes open.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,026 Posts
I built mine 60 last week. It was perfect. I built a 57 Extra SC a few days ago and it had the worst I have seen yet. It fit so loose when centered that you could move the ends up and down an inch or more. I ended up cutting a 1/2 inch by 3 inch piece of cardboard from the shipping box and wedged it under the stab. Soaked in some thin ca and then a couple of passes with medium to fill in the gaps on the bottom.
Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
"I like pancakes!"
Michigan
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Hi all,

I just finished installing an Aurora light kit on our 60" Extra and thought I would post a few pic's
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:50 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
I built mine 60 last week. It was perfect. I built a 57 Extra SC a few days ago and it had the worst I have seen yet. It fit so loose when centered that you could move the ends up and down an inch or more. I ended up cutting a 1/2 inch by 3 inch piece of cardboard from the shipping box and wedged it under the stab. Soaked in some thin ca and then a couple of passes with medium to fill in the gaps on the bottom.
both my 60 EF extra and 57 3DHS had horrible stabs, lots of work to get them to fit right, sanding and shims on both
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:53 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdracing3 View Post
Hi all,

I just finished installing an Aurora light kit on our 60" Extra and thought I would post a few pic's
Looks great JD! Love the two schemes on the extras!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:58 PM
Aer0bat
United States, CA, Laguna Hills
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
both my 60 EF extra and 57 3DHS had horrible stabs, lots of work to get them to fit right, sanding and shims on both
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. The stab is in. I am one of the group that had a less than desirable fit. lots of sanding to get it square and level, and lots of gap filling. i would think its pretty much hit or miss whether you get one that is tight or that needs some help.
agent3mc is offline Find More Posts by agent3mc
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:59 PM
Aer0bat
United States, CA, Laguna Hills
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdracing3 View Post
Hi all,

very nice!
agent3mc is offline Find More Posts by agent3mc
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:41 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Looks great! Those lights are bright!

Ive built seven 60 inch EXP's so far, and everyone of the vertical stabs lined up perfect with very little work..

Three edge
Two MXS
Two extra's all perfect..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:49 AM
"I like pancakes!"
Michigan
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Looks great JD! Love the two schemes on the extras!
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent3mc View Post
very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
Looks great! Those lights are bright!

Ive built seven 60 inch EXP's so far, and everyone of the vertical stabs lined up perfect with very little work..

Three edge
Two MXS
Two extra's all perfect..

Thanks guys! I'll do my best to get some night flying video up soon.

By the way, our stab is spot on ...love these EXP's
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:50 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
How much extra time do you estimate it took to get those Lights installed? Looks good!
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
How much extra time do you estimate it took to get those Lights installed? Looks good!
I have them on my 70 and they have lights on the elevator stab as well.. All you do is drop the wire through the wing, glue the plug on the end of the wing and mount the attachments.. It's not too bad, a small project, could be done in an hour. Once it's installed, only takes 5 minutes to get them on and off...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I have them on my 70 and they have lights on the elevator stab as well.. All you do is drop the wire through the wing, glue the plug on the end of the wing and mount the attachments.. It's not too bad, a small project, could be done in an hour. Once it's installed, only takes 5 minutes to get them on and off...
OK. I love the sound of that. I'll just have to be more careful to not hit the SFGs (and lights) on the deck.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
OK. I love the sound of that. I'll just have to be more careful to not hit the SFGs (and lights) on the deck.
I'd be lying if I said I haven't struck the runway once or twice!