SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2015, 07:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
56 Posts
Discussion
need more throw

hi guys; I have a crack pitt from twisted hobbys my servos are digital. radio is a dx6i , I need more throw on my rudder and leavator. servo arms have ( 5) holes. tried all holes moved my travel adj to 125% . I need 35-45 degrees only getting 30 degrees. is 30 degrees enough for 3d flying? if I need more what do I do to get more.
groundman is offline Find More Posts by groundman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2015, 08:57 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,355 Posts
Surprised no one has stopped to help you. Remember, at some point travel adjust stops advancing the servo throw and you should stop adjusting past that point or face the stripped servo consequences. It's better to use longer arms and ask the servo for the extra torque as opposed to the max endpoint. The servo will have more torque in the middle of it's range. Make longer arms. Try different lengths. Use another arm and CA them together and then wrap with thread and CA again. You should also flex your hinges a lot. We say this in all our build threads so, guessing that you've heard it all before but, going from this question, maybe this is one of your first builds. Good luck. Reinforce the ends of the control surfaces for durability of your plane if it's EPP. Check out the Twisted build threads for lots of little tips. When all else has been tried, and it's still not enough, some partially cut their hingelines but it's better to have it sealed if you can let it remain so. Enjoy!
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Cement Pizza Guy - NEW
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:24 AM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,214 Posts
i hate to argue but increasing the servo arm length does not make greater torque but less, you should max out the endpoint (get all the usable servo travel) and use the shortest possible servo arm and longest practical surface arm to get the best power to the surface, increase the servo arm length only until you get the desired travel and no more.. 30deg is not enough.. some of these super micro servos have limited travels to begin with making the matter worse
spastic is online now Find More Posts by spastic
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:42 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,270 Posts
Agree with spastic its always best to increase endpoints and to use stock servo arm length when you can. Adding extension or lengthening the servo arm to increase control throw can increase stress on servo gears.
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2015, 02:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
56 Posts
trying different length servo arms problem still there. thinking servo don't have enough travel. what servo should I buy, to make sure travel is fine. getting a hobby headache over this. the wife cant understand why I get so up set, my plane is not workingright.
groundman is offline Find More Posts by groundman
Old Jan 27, 2015, 03:33 PM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,214 Posts
with the servo arm not connected can you get enough throw? in other words is the movement restricted at all? a pic of the setup might shed some light
spastic is online now Find More Posts by spastic
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:39 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,355 Posts
If you were at 125% on endpoint, where else can you go for another 15 degrees ...
That's the only reason why I suggested longer arm on the servo. The most throw is achieved at the hole nearest to the control surface and the hole furthest away from the servo on the servo arm. I would fly it at 30 degrees for now. Our IMAC planes are surprisingly capable and use only 12 degrees of throw FWIW Spastic's suggestion is a good one. See if you have the full range when moving the servo by hand. Sometimes a drop of CA hardens on the carbon rod and hangs up in a rod guide.
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Cement Pizza Guy - NEW
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:56 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,785 Posts
I make 1/32 in. plywood discs or arms screwed to the servo arm to extend it. Also if you run out of holes in the surface horns, drill holes in closer.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2