SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2015, 04:21 PM
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
3,099 Posts
Anyone consider creating a STL file to print the plate on 3D printer?
KC_703 is offline Find More Posts by KC_703
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2015, 04:53 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2013
680 Posts
STL FILE OF WHAT PLATE
I can design and creat stl files but I need to know what you want
also look on thingaverse there are just about anything you can think of.
find one that almost suits your needs and LMK what you want different.
Mark
AMA 13502
racermark is offline Find More Posts by racermark
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:16 PM
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
3,099 Posts
I'm fairly new to this project also... but it looks interesting. I was just asking about the STL so I didn't reinvent the wheel.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 05:54 AM
United Kingdom, Derbyshire
Joined Aug 2011
874 Posts
i have a G10 camera plate (CNC-cut, made by crezzee) for sale if anyone in the UK is interested - surplus to requirements now i've moved to a bigger quad with BL gimbal. 5 including postage. like the one in this post, except G10 instead of CF. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=120
ukbren is offline Find More Posts by ukbren
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:59 PM
PSS Glider Guider
Derby, UK
Joined Apr 2006
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_703 View Post
Anyone consider creating a STL file to print the plate on 3D printer?
Funny you should say that... I've just designed and printed my own version of the SSG...With utmost respect and deference to Crezzee for the original design and inspiration.
So, here's the design I pulled together, taking advantage of the 3D printer's capabilities. It's aimed at carrying an 808 #16 camera for now and has been through two design and print iterations.

This is the mk1 version which was a bit too bendy in the main plate.

This is mk2, with the added stiffening ribs on both the main plate and the camera plate. The main plat rib also doubles as a channel for the servo leads to feed neatly away.

Struggling a little with the setup at the moment though. It's hooked up to a KK2.1.5 flashed with Steveis 1.18S1 Pro.

I've connected the servo leads to headers 7 & 8 and enabled camera stabilisation. When the KK board is armed and the motors spooled up slightly I can see there is a degree of stabilisation but it's more a diagonal motion of the camera plate... tilting the tri-copter forward and back doesn't seem to elicit a response from the servos... only tilting left and right does that.

Reviewing the menu on the KK2 I now find there is a reference to SS Gimbal in Misc. Settings 2. Change that to 'Yes' and the behaviour of the gimbal appears to get worse. I also note there is a Gimbal control entry with the options being 'off', 'Aux' or '6&7'.

Anyone encountered this? Is Steveis still an acceptable FW for the KK2 or should I go for something else?

Thanks in advance!

Rez
Fly_Boy_Rez is offline Find More Posts by Fly_Boy_Rez
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:18 PM
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
3,099 Posts
That's a nice looking model. I was thinking about just the top plate, but platform and space for servos make sense.

Sorry no insight into the kk2.1 setup... I'd probably run this off a naze32.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 06:56 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,560 Posts
Is there a significant difference between the NAZE32 and the KK2 with regards to the SSG, or for that matter the KK2.0 vs the KK2.1?
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:44 AM
United Kingdom, Derbyshire
Joined Aug 2011
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Boy_Rez View Post
Anyone encountered this? Is Steveis still an acceptable FW for the KK2 or should I go for something else?
you could try RC911's firmware...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2340156
ukbren is offline Find More Posts by ukbren
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:03 PM
Rapidly aging user
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined May 2012
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbren View Post
+1....haven't tried Stevies but I've been using RC911's FW on my KK2.0 & 2.1 boards.

Just posted a kinda "different approach" video on YT from a test flite yesterday w/ the rear mounted 808 view sync'd & superimposed on the SSG/Mobius AP view....was surprised how active the SSG is....
SSG Dual cam test flite (2 min 11 sec)

Ralph
raw89 is offline Find More Posts by raw89
Last edited by raw89; Mar 23, 2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 06:19 PM
Joined Nov 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
I think I'm confused. If the FPV camera is on a gimbal it wouldn't make any difference if SL is on or off. The gimbal would still maintain level and you would not know the attitude of the airframe. Right!
The reason you "can't" fly FPV with the camera on the gimbal isn't because of a technical reason, but because of how you fly the craft. Theoretically, you could fly through the gimbal without auto level, but you wouldn't be able to tell how the multicopter was flying. So basically, you could be tilting way forward and not know it, because the gimbal was compensating. Yes, you can see your surroundings moving, but flying FPV (and LOS too) you're constantly feeling how the aircraft is flying, what angle it's at, etc. If you fly through the gimbal, that is taken away, because the gimbal is compensating for those movements, so you can't effectively "feel" how the aircraft is flying. That could be a huge problem, because if attempting to correct, you might overcorrect, because you can't tell exactly what you are doing. With the auto level, it's much easier, because pushing the stick forward holds the aircraft at a constant angle in the direction you want. Then, when you want to stop, you just let go. The flight controller board is effectively doing the work on keeping the multi-rotor level for you, so all you have to do is control which direction you're moving. With a separate FPV camera, not on the gimbal, then you can feel the aircraft, while your nicer camera (go pro) is capturing the stable footage through the gimbal.
Agent CAL is online now Find More Posts by Agent CAL
Old Mar 26, 2015, 06:25 PM
Joined Nov 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
I haven't done FPV, but will eventually. I'm just trying to understand this a little more.
If autolevel is off in FPV can you not still fly? You are still seeing from the camera.
You just don't have camera movement. It would be the same as having a solid mounted cam.

I don't see how this would cause a crash!
Maybe a short between the headset!
Already replied to a later post, but you can't analyze the aircraft's attitude without the camera movement, so the reason you would crash is not knowing what the copter is actually doing, but just what you can see from that height. There is no technical problem, it would work fine. Actually, I think some people fly without auto level through the gimbal, but I'd assume it would be really hard.
Agent CAL is online now Find More Posts by Agent CAL