HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:59 AM
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
hi, new to rc kite, just bought a mini pro III from GFK and wanted to modify the LED on the kite, but notice that the PCB they r using is really small and compact, its seem there is no other way to add on extra lighting, any good suggestion from the expert out there ?
zicoZzz is offline Find More Posts by zicoZzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 10:09 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,021 Posts
Could you post a few photos? I've got an old Pro III and would be interested to see how they've evolved over the years. Where is the PCB you mention on the kite? (I don't think mine has one)
jcansdale is online now Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Jul 08, 2014, 10:39 AM
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
PCB = Printed circuit board
Al the wire and cable r connected to 1 tiny PCB. Is yr old Pro III the same ?

http://s2.postimg.org/lhfxqcys5/phot...che=1404833820
http://postimg.org/image/doewuw2d1/
zicoZzz is offline Find More Posts by zicoZzz
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:14 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
755 Posts
That looks like a standard brushless speed control to me. I'm betting the three blue wire run to the motor, the White\Red\Black are the standard servo connector going to the receiver, and the Black/Red go to the battery. Is that all correct?

Are there other wires in there that I can't see that go to the lights?

I would be inclined to just add your own lighting system separate from existing one. There are two ways to do this. One is to run off the reciever voltage and plug the lights into the rx with a standard servo connector. The other is to run off the battery voltage. For that you can either plug into the balance tap on the battery, or create a connector that goes between the battery and the speed control.

These two sources will have different voltages, so your choice will change the design of your lighting system.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Jul 09, 2014, 12:28 AM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
That's the ESC, Electronic Speed Controller.
layang is offline Find More Posts by layang
Old Jul 17, 2014, 04:52 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,792 Posts
you can also use a small brushed motor's ESC to supply the power, that can be switched by the REC .. but this will also have to be connected to the battery.... more weight but this gives you the option of switching the lights from your TX

my preferred method is a direct connection from the flight battery. from the balance plug, this will only shorten your flights by a small fraction of the normal flight time ..
I wire the lighting harness myself, using lots of led's , which all takes a while.. I use led's from china that come with resistors .. using a resistor on each led they run perfectly on 11.1v and are still bright enough on 7.4v..

If you are only going to use a few lights then going through the receiver is fine.. BUT...
I don't know how much current the REC can handle so check this method out before you try it
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jul 17, 2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 05:22 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
If you are only going to use a few lights then going through the receiver is fine.. BUT...
I don't know how much current the REC can handle so check this method out before you try it
This is how I run the lights on my Pro III. I usually run on 2s, but if it's really windy I might run on 3s. The lights get a bit too hot on 3s if run directly from the battery.

Since the ESC is only running a couple of servos, there is probably enough spare current capacity to run your lights as well. Just check on the ground the ESC isn't getting very hot after 30 seconds or so.
jcansdale is online now Find More Posts by jcansdale