HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2007, 06:19 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
Discussion
Electrifly Fokker DR-1 Build and fly

Picked up mine today and couldn't wait to open the box. Looks like a nice little plane. My only complaint is that the covering is pretty loose on every part. I don't expect drum tight covering on an ARF from across the world, but it is not nearly as good as the SE5A or D VII. I will be spending some time shrinking it down.

With that said it otherwise looks good. I do like the magnets on the cowl.

I'll post some more pics soon. I hope others do as well. Let me know if there is something you want to see.

I will be using the stock power system and 1320 3S TP packs.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Last edited by echoplanar; May 19, 2007 at 06:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2007, 06:33 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
Here are a few more pics out of the box.
Old May 19, 2007, 07:09 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Wow ! sure are alot of wrinkles. I'm getting one anyhow, as soon as the LHS gets one.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old May 20, 2007, 01:06 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybuster
Wow ! sure are alot of wrinkles. I'm getting one anyhow, as soon as the LHS gets one.
Mike
Yeah, more than i expected. I've managed to get the worst of it out-I did bring out the heat gun which helped alot. I do feel better about the plane now. For some reason nothing looks worse than a saggy, wrinkly arf-even if it is a dr-1!

Here are some more parts pics.

-Jon
Old May 20, 2007, 03:01 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,307 Posts
The detail touches like the rotary and 'scarf included' are cool. I really like the ply construction of these birds, well designed and built in that department. The wrinkles are a bit much, get your act together GP.

Jon, Thanks for the pics and keep them coming, its looking good.

Mike, I'd like to see the Camel finished before the Dr1 is acquired please young man!

Spar, Sure would make the planned color change easier if your one comes with the covering loose.

Website below has details on an auction that had items taken from the red barons crashed triplane, further down the page there is a written piece about the items and how they were found.

http://julia.hanovercomputer.com/pre...%20Release.htm

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Last edited by floss; May 20, 2007 at 03:49 AM.
Old May 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Thanks for this thread! Been waiting for some photos. I'll post a link over in the other Dr.1 thread so everyone can find it.

I really want this plane but am going to wait for some reviews and to make sure the first run of kits isn't somehow lacking or needing revision.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old May 20, 2007, 12:43 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floss

Mike, I'd like to see the Camel finished before the Dr1 is acquired please young man!

Steve
LOL !
I'm getting this DR-1 this week! Then I'll only be backed up 3 planes, or is it 4? Well when I get the feeling back in my right hand and fingers I'll be really busy.I don't think I'll be doing much flying for awhile do to the multiple ruptured discs in my neck,its kinda painfull for me to look up
Did someone say RC submarines?
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old May 20, 2007, 11:24 PM
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2001
805 Posts
Hi Guys,
Guess what? One of these followed me home from the LHS on Friday. I have not yet started the build yet, I will most likely not be able to start it for a couple of weeks, but I did check out the parts. The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was how small the fuselage of this airplane is, and the wings are tiny.

About the covering, mine has only a few wrinkles, just like the D7 and the SE5.

Jon, great detailed parts photos. Thanks for starting the build thread. I do not see the center cabanes in your photos, is there another bag of parts that you did not photograph? I am going to check mine in the morning (its in the basement and its 12.25am), I donít remember seeing them in the bags I had in the box either.

As for my setup, I am going with my usual; 400XT powered with a 3S, 1320mAh and Spectrum AR6000 guidance.

Photos will follow as soon as I get a chance to start working on it.

Vip.
Vipula AD is offline Find More Posts by Vipula AD
Old May 20, 2007, 11:25 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
Steve, interesting link-that's alot to pay for a chip of paint.

Just going along slowly with the build (assembly).
Last edited by echoplanar; May 20, 2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 21, 2007, 01:58 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
Nice catch Vip. I Found the cabane pic. Good to hear yours is not too wrinkled-hopefully, mine was just an outlier and the quality of the covering will be on par with the other planes.

One note-in one of instruction pics the front and rear gear legs are reversed in order on the axle. They do give the correct written instruction for setting it up and there is another pic where they are correctly shown. If you just look at the pics it will look a bit confusing.

-Jon
Old May 21, 2007, 03:31 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,307 Posts
Nice pics Jon, cheers.
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old May 21, 2007, 06:03 AM
Arlington. VA USA
Joined Aug 2001
21 Posts
Got my DR-1 Friday. Love the kit, but the covering is awful. Wrinkled everywhere. Tried hitting it with a heat gun. That didn't work, so I blasted it with an industrial heat gun. This stuff is so tough it seems impervious to extremely high temperature. Still no shrink. I'll try to iron it out tonight with a 21st Century iron. I'm about ready to rip it off & re-cover it, maybe with a lightweight fabric. The indestructible covering the DR-1 comes with can't be very light. I've used all kinds of iron-on coverings since they came out and I've never seen any that act like this stuff.
tom_B_in_DC is offline Find More Posts by tom_B_in_DC
Old May 21, 2007, 12:32 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,368 Posts
Heat gun did nothing to the wrinkles. Iron at very high temperature removed most of them. Took me 45 minutes with my iron in what I named the Pre-Assemble phase of construction. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2007, 12:59 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
I was also wondering what this covering is. I've only used the solite types before and this stuff is much much tougher and more heat resistant. I did manage to get most of the wrinkles out with the gun, but it took some time. It would kind of shrink for a bit afer the heat was let off. It definitely can't be very lightweight. I do hope the covering is better for others.

-Jon