HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:59 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery View Post
Flew mine this weekend- it is amazing how far it travels on spektrum lock out. It recovered and I pulled out of it safely and landed. Just purchased a Futaba Fast module last night- save the spektrum junk for my slope junk.

I have a Neu motor 1105/2.5Y/3.2- Is the 4.1x4.1 prop the best one for this motor on a 2100 3 cell?

doug
Heck No....get a 4.5X4.1 on there Fast ....But strange,i have a AR600 in mine with over 60+ flights with not so much as a shutter....I could not imagine a lock out at those speeds.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
Heck No....get a 4.5X4.1 on there Fast ....But strange,i have a AR600 in mine with over 60+ flights with not so much as a shutter....I could not imagine a lock out at those speeds.

I was not pushing it too much kind of getting used to it when i was bringin it around high to low when it locked, i quickly landed after that.
Thanks for the recommendation-
Doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:38 PM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Can you use a specktrum 6210 reciver in this plane?? I herd that on carbon fiber planes you need a special reciver thx
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:40 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
Can you use a specktrum 6210 reciver in this plane?? I herd that on carbon fiber planes you need a special reciver thx
I haven't used this receiver in particular, I fly Futaba but note that this plane is not carbon fiber, it's fiberglass with the exception of a little carbon tow around the wing saddle. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems but I fly a mid-range receiver in mine and have so far been totally glitch free.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:17 AM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
That would be fine. I use an ar7000 in mine. I just took the cases off and used shrink tubing. I fit the satellite behind the elevator servo in the fuse. The main receiver antenni stick out the fuse sides.
hybris is online now Find More Posts by hybris
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:03 AM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
That's good idea
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:33 AM
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
655 Posts
Third flight today despite the rain hanging in the air. Still in one piece and I'm still in shock, can't really get use to it, after giving it full throttle. It was a bit windy and it's rather sensitive, or it might have been very windy in fact, rocking sideways. I was thinking of maybe adding a gyro on one aileron. If I can squeeze it in. Anyone tried that in the Voodoo? I have fitted all my other electric planes with multiwii (3 axis stabilization) so I might be a bit spoiled.

/Håkan
hakank is offline Find More Posts by hakank
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:55 AM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakank View Post
Third flight today despite the rain hanging in the air. Still in one piece and I'm still in shock, can't really get use to it, after giving it full throttle. It was a bit windy and it's rather sensitive, or it might have been very windy in fact, rocking sideways. I was thinking of maybe adding a gyro on one aileron. If I can squeeze it in. Anyone tried that in the Voodoo? I have fitted all my other electric planes with multiwii (3 axis stabilization) so I might be a bit spoiled.

/Håkan
Hi Håkan,

This plane, when set up correctly, is rock solid no matter what the wind is, no need for gyros. Note the key point here, when setup correctly. So let's go a little into the setup to see if you need to tweak anything. There are two things that can make it nervous when flying, CG or Aileron Rates.

What is your CG? The CG on this plane is a balance between a great locked-in feel and ballooning under high throttle. If your CG is too far forward the plane will fly very locked in but it will want to climb on the straight aways at very high speed. If the CG is too far aft then the plane will not climb (or at least not as much) and it will actually land even easier as you will have enough elevator but unfortunately it starts getting nervous at high speed (harder to fly it smoothly). I have a compromise in my CG where it flys pretty locked in but still ballons a little at the highest speeds, for this a have a little reflex mixed in with my throttle to kill some of the lift at full throttle.

In your case double check the CG to make sure it is not to far aft (or just try it a little farter forward).

What are your rates on your ailerons? Remember that this is a speedster and as such it demands very low rates. I have mine set up that at full throw, on landing approach I can barely get it to bank. I mean, I hold full stick for over a second to get in or out of a 45 degree bank. Even at that super reduced rate and with a 60% low rate for high speed, when I'm full throttle up at about ~130MPH it is hyper sensitive on the ailerons and about 1/4 second on full stick will give me a 90 degree bank.

The faster you go the less movement you need, maybe a switch with tripple rates? Remember the manual calls for 3.5mm up and 2mm down. I have less than that and I certainly would not go more.

One more thing, if you had to bring your endpoints down on your radio to get to the required throws then you may have centering problems due to poor mechanical advantage. When I did my installation I had to drill a new hole in my control arm inside the hole that was closest to the center as this was the only way I could get the correct throws without sacrificing mechanical advantage.

Some pictures on my setup (note the picture that shows how close the control arm is to the center of the servo): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post19489783

Hope this helps but feel free to ask any more questions,

Hälsningar,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:57 AM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Forgot to add one thing, due to the sensitive nature of the control surfaces at high speed a little bit off on the trim at low speeds, something that may just seem to be an annoyance, may actually cause the plane to roll over at high speeds so double check your trims. Also, check your motor and rudder incidence to ensure that they aren't off.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:01 AM
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
655 Posts
Thank you very much for the extended version in how to tune the Voodoo! However I might have been a bit unclear. What I meant was it was sensitive to wind, or gust making it roll over rather easy and not by my input. It's not a big problem when flying it fast but at sub ~50mph I really have to watch it and make constant corrections. Note, it was probably rather windy and I should maybe not made it airborne that day..

But I will walk through your recommendations!

/Håkan
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:40 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Thank you very much for the extended version in how to tune the Voodoo! However I might have been a bit unclear. What I meant was it was sensitive to wind, or gust making it roll over rather easy and not by my input. It's not a big problem when flying it fast but at sub ~50mph I really have to watch it and make constant corrections. Note, it was probably rather windy and I should maybe not made it airborne that day..

But I will walk through your recommendations!

/Håkan
the past days I almost crashed a few times, my small planes rocked their wings, I thought I was getting out of control sometimes, very hard to fly, gusty winds... I think is mostly the wheather doing it,, wait till a calm day, then try againm that plane should be solid..

Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:43 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,974 Posts
Quote:
When I ordered mine from Hollein I first checked with Miro Urban who seems to be the guy building them. (He took the same price as Hollein btw) He said 4 weeks for delivery. Hollein said 4-6 weeks. So it looks like they are built on demand.

/Håkan

Yes, they are build on order. You have to get in line for that. They always are in backorder. i had to wait for mine 6 weeks. That's alright if you have other project on the bench.

Too bad my current sensor fried at full power. My Voodoo went in at max power (560W/estimated 290kmh) pretty hard. The build is somewhere in this thread.

regards,
Erik
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:32 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
hi håkan,

in your case double check the cg to make sure it is not to far aft (or just try it a little farter forward).

Hope this helps but feel free to ask any more questions,

hälsningar,

- birger
lmao
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:46 AM
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
655 Posts
CG seems to be spot on but I will try with moving the battery a little bit forward. Thanks.
/Håkan
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:55 AM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
339 Posts
ok, voodoo arrives soon
I am toying with the idea of getting a cc ice lite 50 and squeezing it into this little rocket
anyone had experience of this?
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10