HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2014, 07:51 AM
United States, MD, Monrovia
Joined May 2013
18 Posts
Question
Align 450 Plus DFC Manual

It appears that Align only sells a BTF or RTF versions and not a kit. Since all assembly is done at the factory, how does one learn how to "properly" assembly and adjust the 450 without a build manual? Available manuals only seem to address adjustment of electronics and a parts breakdown. Is there such a manual available that I missed?

Reason being, I just repaired the tail boom of my 450 and had to ask questions on this forum on the proper tensioning of the belt. Now I find that I also have to replace the main drive gear as there are some teeth missing. Hopefully I can remove the auto gear and can drop the drive gear off the bottom of the driveshaft without having to take the whole head apart. This is where the manual would be helpful.
Triggerscan is offline Find More Posts by Triggerscan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:20 PM
Ground Repeller
Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
182 Posts
You only need to remove the links from the swash to remove the whole rotor head + shaft after removing the bolt on the main gear. Just leave the links on the servos so you know which goes where. If you damaged your main drive gear, i suggest you check your rotor head for any play (loose parts), and your shaft to see if it isn't bent. All these will cause your rotor head to wobble like mad on spoolup.

I started in the same position as you, i crashed my KDS 450QS RTF and i didn't know how to fix it. The LHS i bought it from told me to google how to fix it, pissed me off and i went to another store instead - fortunately the other guy offered to show me the ropes of diagnosing all the problems.
ZeniethLily is offline Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,003 Posts
Hi mate align kits comes as combo or super combo and here the manual for the 450 dfc
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...mxUS2fiqAU9b0A
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:49 AM
United States, MD, Monrovia
Joined May 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeniethLily View Post
You only need to remove the links from the swash to remove the whole rotor head + shaft after removing the bolt on the main gear.
Thanks ZeniethLily that helped a bunch. Removed links from the three servos to the swash plate, removed screw from the auto gear and the main shaft lifted straight out. Bushings seem fine as does the main shaft. Now just need to replace the main gear (plastic) and put it back together. Helical gear on motor is metal, so the plastic main gear lost this battle.
Triggerscan is offline Find More Posts by Triggerscan
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:18 AM
Ground Repeller
Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerscan View Post
Thanks ZeniethLily that helped a bunch. Removed links from the three servos to the swash plate, removed screw from the auto gear and the main shaft lifted straight out. Bushings seem fine as does the main shaft. Now just need to replace the main gear (plastic) and put it back together. Helical gear on motor is metal, so the plastic main gear lost this battle.
You'll have to remove the bolt on the head to get the shaft out, and roll it on a flat glass table to see if it rattles to be sure its straight - a slight bend will cause your rotor to wobble violently. Once everything is confirmed, putting it all back together is cake
ZeniethLily is offline Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:23 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeniethLily View Post
You'll have to remove the bolt on the head to get the shaft out, and roll it on a flat glass table to see if it rattles to be sure its straight - a slight bend will cause your rotor to wobble violently. Once everything is confirmed, putting it all back together is cake
I wouldn't say exactly cake - getting the main rotor and tail rotor and one-way bearing and main shaft to all align to get that jesus bolt back in takes a lot of jesus'ing. While you are jesus'ing you might also want to check your feathering shaft to see if it is warped. An easy check is to remove the blades and turn the screw with a hex driver on one end of the feathering shaft while holding the opposite blade holder lightly in your fingers. If you feel any up-down movement when turning - the feathering shaft is warped and has to be replaced. Amazing the kinetic energy in those spinning blades - any kind of a blade strike and it bends those 1/8" steel feathering shafts like they were soft iron. Try bending one with your fingers - you'll get the idea. Blade strikes are inevitable when learning to fly. If the motor is running when you have a blade strike (it usually is) the main gear gets stripped. You are suppose to hit throttle-hold when you going down - problem is when you going down you don't have time to think about it - it happens too fast - also known as brain freeze. If you have a flybar instead of a flybarless (FBL) getting everything adjusted and tracking again is anything but a cake walk. Here is the manual for the Trex-450 Sport. Have a great flight and hold on tight - there is no end to the learning curve in this hobby.

captJac
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member