Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 03, 2014, 01:53 PM
Joined Mar 2013
88 Posts
Discussion
crasher 47 crashing

I've been messing with CP helis for several months now. I have 2 HK450GT's. One seems to be more stable than the other. I can hover well, fly the heli forward and back in front of me no problem, do turns from a hover. I've been trying to progress to flying ovals and every time I get into a turn in forward flight, the heli wants to dip the rotor to one side and get into a sort of stall resulting in a crash. Happened this morning again. I pushed the aileron stick toward the side of the low blade as it was facing me (an anology I used while flying RC airplanes) but I guess response wasn't fast enough. So how do I avoid these dipping in turns? I've been trying to fly at a slow to moderate speed, trying not to make my turns too sharp. I try to keep my heli level at all times but it seems to get away from me in these turns. Luckily I have a good inventory of parts but this is getting frustrating. Like a lot of people, I progressed up to CP from coaxial and 4 channel FP.
crasher47 is offline Find More Posts by crasher47
Last edited by crasher47; Jul 03, 2014 at 02:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:19 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,188 Posts
it's a matter of balancing rudder and aileron to achieve a banked turn that neither slips to the inside (seems to be what's happening) or skids out of the turn. You maybe need to bank less with aileron and yaw more with rudder... Not an uncommon problem for people used to flying fixed wing where you dont need to use so much rudder.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:39 PM
Joined Mar 2013
88 Posts
Thanks. I think I've been trying to execute turns using only rudder. Shouldn't that result in a "flat" turn? When I flew airplanes, most of my turns were aileron coordinated with elevator then hit the aileron back the opposite direction to level the wings. Well, when I go out again tomorrow (with my second HK 450GT), I will try what you suggest then at least I will be more ready to give aileron input to level the heli if it dips.

This morning's crash was the worse I've had so far. Bent tail boom. feathering shaft, fly bar, mainshaft, broken rotor blade. skid pulled out of frame bottom. Battery flew out, canopy ding up. Just missed a chain link fence. could have been worse.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 03:11 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,650 Posts
"Thanks. I think I've been trying to execute turns using only rudder. Shouldn't that result in a "flat" turn?" -- No, that will only result in your heli flying in the same direction but now flying sideways or backwards. With a CP heli you have to do coordinated turns. Reason being that in order to change direction, you have to change the tilt of the rotor disk, and it does not self-level like the current crop of FP helis do. Turns are accomplished with (in airplane terms) aileron, elevator AND rudder, all coordinated to maintain control.

Good luck and practice, practice, practice.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Jul 03, 2014, 03:49 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
373 Posts
Roger what norcalheli said. Unless you are doing hovering piros or stall turns, you must coordinate cyclic and tail rotor inputs to execute a proper turn.
Oldgazer is offline Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Old Jul 03, 2014, 05:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,003 Posts
Hi mate another way to do banked turns is use rate mode no HH and the tail will weather vain around behind heli so nose is always forward , to try it just hover in rate mode then yaw left or right as heli picks up speed the tail will move so it in line with nose
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Jul 03, 2014, 11:00 PM
Joined Mar 2013
88 Posts
Thanks for your input guys. Practice, practice, practice it is. I just need to keep the parts inventory up, I guess. Well, gotta go swap out that S shaped fly bar and droopy looking tail boom.