HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:42 PM
Looking Beyond ARF's
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Discussion
Pat Tritle Fleet control throw and CG questions

I just finished my Pat Tritle Fleet and I am about to maiden. Can anyone suggest what the control throws should be. Also, should I use the CG shown on the plans or has someone that has built and flown this model changed the CG a little, please advise.
captainborg is offline Find More Posts by captainborg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:17 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,481 Posts
Cap, the plans CG location worked fine for me. Pat always test flys his before he releases them so you can be pretty well assured that his indicated CG will produce a nice flying plane. Good luck. My Fleet is not the greatest looking model but I really enjoy flying it. Very relaxing.

Tony
tpfing is online now Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:51 AM
Looking Beyond ARF's
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Tpf, thanks for your response, this is re-assuring. Do you happen to know what your control throws are and have you added any expo?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:29 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,481 Posts
For what its worth, I have about +/- 3/4 inch on the elevator, +/- 1 inch (all I could get) on the rudder and about +/- 1/2 to 3/4 inch on the ailerons. As for expo, I use a Hitec Aurora 9 with all the bells and whistles and, for the most part, I don't use them. I do mix in a little rudder with the aileron and slightly more up aileron that down (differential aileron) to help with adverse yaw (I'm lazy). But I very rarely use expo or dual rates. I just fly the airplane and apply whatever amount of control necessary to accomplish the maneuver. I'm old school; I learned to fly RC way before computer radios.

Even with all that movement on ailerons, it won't roll worth a crap and loses a lot of altitude when coming out of the roll. If you attempt to roll her, get a lot of altitude first. I would suggest at least 100-150 feet.

I have a description on my blog page. Click on the 'username' at the left to get to anyone's blog.

Hope this helps.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:39 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,481 Posts
double post
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tpfing; Jun 13, 2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: double post
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:48 AM
Looking Beyond ARF's
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Tpf, thanks for the additional info on control throws, I may maiden this weekend. Plane weight is 19oz with an 1800mAh 2c eflight lipo. Plane is balanced with this battery with no weight added anywhere, how often does that happen. All I can say is Pat T. did a great job on the location of the battery tray, servos, etc. I am running an E-flight 400, a little worried about the amount of thrust with the 9x6E prop, may not be able to get out of trouble with a power burst if I have too.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 04:53 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,481 Posts
Capt, I am using a Power 400 Slo-Fly motor from HeadsUp RC http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...otor-E-540.htm with an APC 11 x 4.7. This gives me plenty of power. Battery is usually an old 1500 mah 15C 11.4v or a 1300 mah 11.4 20c. Most flying is about 1/2 throttle with full power reserved for rapid climbs for a spin back down. Even take offs are usually at less than full power.

Tony
RCG Plus Member