Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:28 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,887 Posts
Discussion
Skegs on an ALES?

Hi to all,

Just asking, but do the contests allow for skegs to be used? I don't recall reading about that subject in the rules I have come across...might have missed that one.

Thanks,
Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:46 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,093 Posts
No, the rules specifically prohibit landing arrestors.

General Specifications, Item 7:

7. Any device, fixed or retractable, intended to
arrest the model aircraft on the ground, or which
does arrest the model aircraft on the ground,
during landing is prohibited.
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:24 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Hi to all,

Just asking, but do the contests allow for skegs to be used? I don't recall reading about that subject in the rules I have come across...might have missed that one.

Thanks,
Mike Lee
Skegs?? We doan need no steenkin' skegs!!!!
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:31 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,093 Posts
Provisional rules: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...14Electric.pdf

Event 631
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:22 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,193 Posts
not that it matters,

But I was considering why all the best pilots ask for skegs... I would imagine that it is really the best way to make a precision landing over and over and over again.

Otherwise, luck comes into play.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:29 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,093 Posts
Skegs are a crutch stemming from the point per inch TD tape ... not really necessary with the more "reasonable" graduations used in ALES (and F3J, for that matter).

They started out as "flap savers" and then the meathooks migrated from under the trailing edge of the wing to the nose ...
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:37 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
You are correct Kenny, and on most up to date rc sailplanes, the nose on nearly all of them might as well be skegs as well cause they stick. What will be intersting in ALES is, especially with noses and motors (and correctly mounting them, thanks Walt) that can handle being stuck now, how will the "spirit of the rule" crowd handle sticking an ALES ship for points?

By rights, the ALES tape, short or long, is pretty liberal compared to a 100"/point per inch tape. The slide is the unknown and no pilot has much control of that except touchdown airspeed, and even then, depending on conditions you have no clue where you will stop.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Last edited by R.M. Gellart; Jun 30, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:18 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,193 Posts
that's what I've noticed by going to a lot of string launch contests... The best pilots come in "hot", high, and straight...and bury it right on the mark.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:30 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,193 Posts
anyway, regarding ALES, I don't think this is necessary, because as has already been pointed out, the landing tape is not in one inch increments.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:16 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
262 Posts
Just My 2 Cents

I don't know about the 4 meter molded ships, but when I throw out 90 degrees of flap 6 inches or so off the ground on my 3.4 meter balsa and carbon plane, it settles on it's belly and pretty much stays where it's put. The secret is arriving at the LZ at that altitude and the correct airspeed. That's one of the challenges I enjoy but don't always get right. But when it works, it is very satisfying. The plane touches down at a very low airspeed with no damage to the prop/spinner/firewall.

Of course, if the rule was changed and everybody else added a skeg, I would be forced to in order to remain competitive, but I would rather not have them on ALES planes.

The Other Dave R.
dreisinger is offline Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:40 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,887 Posts
Thanks to all of you who responded back on this subject. I asked for a couple of reasons;

* It would seem that anyone risking a "J" type nose-in might bend the motor shaft or dismount the motor mount from the nose by doing so, not to mention the debris that may get stuffed in there. And so the pilot might elect to try a mid-fuselage type skeg, which would give some control over the slide. However, some of these models have significant weight overall, and if the fuselage is not beefy (meaning even heavier), the torque of setting down on that mid-fuselage skeg might damage the boom.

* I am preparing for our own ALES event using 15 foot landing tapes, giving a 30 ft radius landing zone for the pilots. I figured that should be a decent size landing target. But, there is always someone who will think that it is too small. Thus they will want to run a skeg.

* Having been to a couple of events where ALES was flown, I was a big dummy by not paying attention to what was going on in the landing circle. So, i don't even remember what kind of tapes or zones were used.

* The rules that I had read were provisional type rules, and provisionals are really still guidelines until made official. So, i didn't know if anyone had made any changes and if so,what they were.

So, okay, I'm satisfied with knowing we don't use no stinkin' skegs. (Badges? Don't need no stinkin' Badges!).

Now the next question. Flight time starts when the plane leaves the hand...true? Time ends when first contact is made with a ground based object, such as the ground, a tree, a car, a building, a person who didn't jump (because if the person did jump and got hit in mid-air...) True?

Thanks!
Mike Lee
(if he got hit in mid-air, that could be a mid-air collision....or a combat kill!)
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:45 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,193 Posts
yes, time starts when it leaves your hand... But your 30 seconds of motor run starts when you start the motor...something to think about if one starts their motor a second or two before release.

Regarding landing, yes, when something touches the ground or ground-based object... Unless the CD says the tall grass near the landing zone is alright.

At least I think so.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:20 PM
Apalachin, NY
Joined Nov 2004
119 Posts
So...should this have been allowed at Polecat this year, last year, probably the Nats last year???
M.Struck is offline Find More Posts by M.Struck
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:03 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Struck View Post
So...should this have been allowed at Polecat this year, last year, probably the Nats last year???
If I were the CD, I would not allow that.

I'm sure the opposite argument is that since the rounded end is forward, it's protecting the prop and is not acting as a landing arrestor.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:17 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Struck View Post
No.
jaizon is online now Find More Posts by jaizon