Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:34 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I'm trying to get a handle on installing a Rx in a carbon fiber fuse.
For 2.4ghz, If that pod is plastic/wood (and that is what it says it is) I would doubt it would cause any problems with a 2.4ghz install. I would run the 2 antennas inside that pod trying to keep them at 90 degrees to each other.

If 72mhz I would imagine it would be fine to run the antenna outside or inside that boom. Unless it were CF weave. Which it doesn't look like. Looks like straight fibers to me. I have ran 72mhz inside the boom and outside on models with straight CF booms like the Super Gee Allegro Lite.

50 mhz or 35 mhz I can't comment on.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 02:48 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
870 Posts
rtbates, there is a thread for it here.
Looks like a fair entry level at US$86, but get a few spare pods, they look fragile. Shame they did not continue the boom to the nose.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:47 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,397 Posts
If the pod is vac formed plastic it is actually pretty tough. I had a 1 meter model called the Seeker back in the day and it was tough. I eventually broke it due to a radio failure but it was plenty strong.
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
thanks guys for the info. I hedging my bets and getting both a voltage booster to run 1S and a 5V UBEC to run a 2S pack. Looking forward to my first stint into dlg.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
rtbates, there is a thread for it here.
Looks like a fair entry level at US$86, but get a few spare pods, they look fragile. Shame they did not continue the boom to the nose.
Unigue doesn't have spares, nor does HK. Where can I find spares?
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:32 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
870 Posts
They are all over the Chinese websites, for example http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fusel...598300653.html.

No need for complicated electronics that sap your power and compromise reliability - most systems run well on !S lipos.

Also note that there appears to be two models of this. An upgrade model is available with carbon in the wing, smaller wingspan and higher weight and a spare pod included.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Last edited by Rusty Nail; Mar 01, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:38 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
I'm running a Hitec Minima 6e in my Top Sky 1. I just shoved both antennas back in the fuse without regard for orientation. I've specked the plane with no issue.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
thanks for the info on spares and experience with Rx install...
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:44 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
THIS is the least expensive option I know of for a "real" DLG of regulation size and performance. While not a competition winner at the highest level, it will launch much higher and range much farther than the smaller ones mentioned above (those are good planes and a lot of fun, but don't approach the performance of a true DLG).
How would the Versus compare to the Apache http://www.soaringusa.com/Apache-HLG...pache-HLG.html ?
dorfsmay is offline Find More Posts by dorfsmay
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:39 PM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
I've been a lurker for awhile. I think I'll weigh in. I started flying rc when I was 12. Scratch building when I was 30 if a person wants to fly hand launch or dlg help him or her build a terminator one can visit the Charles river site and be inspired to get a group together and Learn by doing. I'm doing that now at 42. I'm a middle school shop teacher we are starting a club next year. My goal is a terminator for each member. They won't be Kevlar carbon works of art but they'll be good enough for kids and a few dads to fling a building block so to speak in the taste of a decent non arf kit made from scratch. I will take ownership of a 20k laser cutter and a 20k 3d printer to aid in the endeavor I'm in beaver falls pa and the invitation is open. I cut my teeth on a skeeter I flew the monokote off the wings. I built a few terminators then stepped up to an XP3 sold it many years ago. I go to get back into it and there gone no more encore no more polecat dlgs. I'm getting back into it with a super topsky 3 that in the mail I have a lot to re-learn
Cuboodle is offline Find More Posts by Cuboodle
Last edited by Cuboodle; Mar 18, 2013 at 08:48 PM.