HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:30 PM
charlotte, nc
Joined Sep 2003
177 Posts
I forgot to mention that the magnetic force of my hatch seems weak also. I will replace a few magnets with stronger ones. With that being said, I love this plane. It looks awsome and the bigger size only makes it better. While the price seems a bit high, I have no problem helping pay off the development costs. If we don't help people who take on projects like this, we will be stuck with less than average products like poor flying warbird knockoffs. If you want durability and to fly off water, I think the Ultra is worth every penny.

Joe
bluebird is offline Find More Posts by bluebird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:01 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,169 Posts
I got some radio shack tiny magnets today and put 2 pairs in the back of the cockpit, it is rock solid now
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:37 PM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,169 Posts
I also noticed my horizontal stab incidence was off only after I had epoxy drying and I was unable to get it straight while it set up. Everyone be sure to check it before glueing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:09 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
I forgot to mention that the magnetic force of my hatch seems weak also. I will replace a few magnets with stronger ones. With that being said, I love this plane. It looks awsome and the bigger size only makes it better. While the price seems a bit high, I have no problem helping pay off the development costs. If we don't help people who take on projects like this, we will be stuck with less than average products like poor flying warbird knockoffs. If you want durability and to fly off water, I think the Ultra is worth every penny.

Joe
I found the magnets adequate once I trimmed the plastic slightly to make sure they were actually in contact.

I love it too!
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:19 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
I got to log some data on the 2810-9 motor on 4 cell 2200 and an 8-4e prop. While the maximum watts was around 400, the ultra was crusing nice at about 200 watts and 9 amps. Three minutes of mixed flight used about 600 mah of battery. See data below.
That agrees with the numbers I got.

Note that power only touches 400 watts momentarily, and that's when the model is stationary. There is typically a drop of about 3A as soon as the model gets moving. Power at WOT after the initial few seconds is around 340-350 watts on mine. I measured cruise power at about 10A or 150 watts.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:16 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I found the magnets quite adequate once I trimmed the plastic slightly to make sure they were actually in contact.

Out of the box my cockpit base fit the fuselage nice and tight, but when I glued on the canopy, it barely fit back in place and the magnets would no longer touch each other. During assembly I had rubber banded the canopy on the base to hold it all together till the glue dried and the canopy must have slightly warped the base. Luckily I tried to put the assembly back on the fuselage and found the problem before the glue had fully set up. I was able to remove the canopy from the base and start all over. This wasn't a total loss as somehow I managed to miss the part where you install the dashboard decal BEFORE you put on the canopy.

I found that if I installed the canopy to the base while the base was on the fuselage the assembly would not warp and it would fit back perfectly. The only problem was how to hold the canopy in place on the base on the fuselage while the glue dried. I ended up using rubber bands around the fuselage and leaving it overnight. I almost tried blue painters tape, but I would have ruined the red paint on the fuselage if I had.

As an alternative solution, I'd think a couple of lengths of CF under the cockpit base running from front to back might stiffen up the base enough so that the canopy wouldn't warp it.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Jan 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,169 Posts
good idea, I probably warped mine somehow
I tried trimming the plastic windshield, didn't help, had to go to Radio Shack magnets
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:38 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,653 Posts
When I glued the canopy on I noticed it was sticking below the hatch a little bit so I quickly stuck it on the plane and it repositioned itself and the magnets made good contact. So far no problems and it feels locked on tight.

I'll make a note of it in the instructions.

Scott
Model Aero is online now Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:01 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,003 Posts
No Ultra flying these days as the snow is now rough and icy, not at all suitable for such a nice model. In fact, Ultra will soon be put away to await the arrival of liquid water in spring.

Meanwhile, Polaris will satisfy the need to fly (and a few more bruises on a much repaired model will hardly be noticed).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:35 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,968 Posts
29 degrees here this morning, but our water is still liquid.

Time for another Ultra flight.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:46 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
29 degrees here this morning, but our water is still liquid.

Time for another Ultra flight.

McD
I couldn't find the smily for envy!
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:55 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
No Ultra flying these days as the snow is now rough and icy, not at all suitable for such a nice model.

Meanwhile, Polaris will satisfy the need to fly (and a few more bruises on a much repaired model will hardly be noticed).
This turned out to be a good decision! I took Polaris out this afternoon and broke the fin when it hit an ice bump and flipped on landing.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2006
572 Posts
Hull abrasion resistance?

How tough is the hull on the Ultra? I fly my Polaris off of sand; the duct tape withstands the abrasion very well and I am wondering if the Ultra will work as well.
Or will I need to tape it?

Bob
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:19 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,968 Posts
More Canopy Woes

I had my Ultra canopy pop off yesterday during an outside loop. No damage, just a hike to retrieve the wayward canopy. Turned out one of the magnets had come out of the fuselage. It was still firmly attached to the one in the canopy, but it wasn't helping hold it on anymore. Easy fix, I just glued another, stronger magnet to the fuselage and now the canopy was held on much better.

Fast forward to today. I was doing some outside snap rolls and was planning to enter an outside spin when the canopy came off again. Unfortunately this time it went into the prop before clearing the airframe. No prop damage or horizontal stab damage, so I was able to land safely. This time, all of the magnets were still in place so the canopy just came off due to the negative G's.

I've attached some pictures of the carnage including a shot of a sliver of the canopy firmly imbedded in the fuselage. It almost looked like a razor blade stuck in the fuselage.

I guess I'm wondering if Model Aero will be stocking replacement parts for the Ultra because it looks like I need to order a new canopy.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:51 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2002
421 Posts
Thanks to your heads up on this gatorb8 I dry-fitted my horizontal stab and saw the same thing. Was able to shim under the left side to get it pretty level while the epoxy cured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
I also noticed my horizontal stab incidence was off only after I had epoxy drying and I was unable to get it straight while it set up. Everyone be sure to check it before glueing!
Caddguy6 is online now Find More Posts by Caddguy6