Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:15 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Tried the Graupners for the first time.
Easiest jello fix ever
The footage is boring but I was just testing jello.

No other mods.
Camera holder connected in standard fashion.
Camera Flip Mino (640x480)

Standard props:
Eerste redelijk gelukte video met Phantom (2 min 9 sec)

Graupner props:
Graupner rules! (2 min 45 sec)
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Wow, thats a huge difference! Wouldn't have thought it would be. Did you balance the Graupners first?
Pfreddy is offline Find More Posts by Pfreddy
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:54 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex84 View Post
I would really appreciate such a draw test and it`s results,
just to put my mind to ease.
Otherwise there would always be a bad feeling in my stomach when flying 4s lipos...
Videos done... just processing now. Some pretty interesting results.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Last edited by HGT; Feb 05, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:04 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfreddy View Post
Wow, thats a huge difference! Wouldn't have thought it would be. Did you balance the Graupners first?
Not yet! So things can get even better!
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:24 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
The Zingers have thicker roots, so no washers are required. The bore of the hole is 6mm, so the need to reamed out on the lower half of base to 8mm. I use the handheld prop reamer, from Tower Hobbies.

-- Gary
Gary, I will be happy when receive your great kit, but happier if it comes with props RTM (Ready To Mount ). Additional fee aproved !

JMO
Jumanoc is online now Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:33 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Me too, Gary I will be happy as well if they come with the props ready to mount to save me trouble. Can't wait for your kit!

Have you tried with no ND filter yet to see how the footage is? If 2k looks that good wonder if 4k looks amazing also?
Bravia3D is online now Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:54 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
Me too, Gary I will be happy as well if they come with the props ready to mount to save me trouble. Can't wait for your kit!

Have you tried with no ND filter yet to see how the footage is? If 2k looks that good wonder if 4k looks amazing also?
4K is never going to compare at 15fps. Sure it will be crisp but a crisp 15fps frame rate

Perhaps on the Hero4?
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:08 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
DJI Phantom 18 amp ESC current draw testing...

DJI Phantom ESC testing (3 min 8 sec)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
Gary, I will be happy when receive your great kit, but happier if it comes with props RTM (Ready To Mount ). Additional fee aproved !

JMO
I agree Gary! I know it would take time to balance props but it would be worth it to alot of us if we knew they were good to go when we got them! Maybe options would be: Mount & Props = $xx and Mount & Balanced Props = $xx!

Charge what you need to but I bet the second option would sell better! Call it the "Jello Free Phantom kit"!
Pfreddy is offline Find More Posts by Pfreddy
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:03 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2003
387 Posts
[QUOTE=HighGainTuning;24044044]DJI Phantom 18 amp ESC current draw testing...

Be aware, this type of meter with it's long leads in the battery/ESC circuit will add inductance with possible high voltage spikes that could damage or take out your ESC.
Discharger is offline Find More Posts by Discharger
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:36 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
[QUOTE=Discharger;24044505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post

Be aware, this type of meter with it's long leads in the battery/ESC circuit will add inductance with possible high voltage spikes that could damage or take out your ESC.

Horse Crap!

I have been using the Fluke meters model 72 to the new 88 series 5 to train General Motors Technicians for the past 24 years on circuits thousands of times more complicated and susceptible to damage then these cheap ESC's. BTW: I'm not doing this for others to follow. I am only showing you the ESC's current draw when dedicating a battery to one motor...In the background is my monitor with an inductive amp clamp measuring current via a PICO Scope... Would you like to see the current flow via that?

100mV = 1 amp

Phantom esc (2 min 4 sec)
Last edited by HGT; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:10 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfreddy View Post
Mount & Props = $xx and Mount & Balanced Props = $xx!
You do know that "!" after a number means "factorial", right?So if the props are $6 a set, then balanced props are $6! which is $480. Hmmm.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:11 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Ok, I need to shut-up about the Phantom soon but I am truly impressed by this little thing. It was 23 degrees today and a little breezy. I decided to take it up from my back yard. It took a couple minutes for the IMU to warm-up because I left it outside for about 20 minutes for the NAZA to acclimate first. Well, once the IMU was ready I popped it up, flew some simple circuits around the yard, then blasted it up past 100 feet. It was a bit breezy on the ground so it was blowing half decent up there. I was quite impressed by how well it held position and how flippin' visible it is up there. I had LEDs on the front arms of my F550 for orientation but the red and green lights on the Phantom are truly nice. Every time my hands got cold I'd just drop down to 10 feet and let it hover in place with my hands in my pockets.

Loving this thing!
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:27 PM
Flying Phantom
Joined Feb 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post

http://youtu.be/2HhJeNNxomk
Thanks a lot for the Video!

since your Video says to draw one`s own conclusion and I am a total noob when it comes to all of this, is it safe to assume, that while in careful and slow throtteling one would practically never reach the ESC`s limit, but in rather hectic flight motion and flying aggressively with throttle from zero - Full -> i.e. letting the Phantom drop down, then raise throttle to "catch it up again" with 4s lipos it seems a bit much for the 18A ESCs right?

movements like those, where zero throttle is followed by full throttle under load, like in above described szenario might fry them huh?

So I better be safe then sorry and stay with the 3s lipos...

one quick question still:

since a 4s lipo has "one more cell" it contains more power right?
Watt-hours is the product of Amps by Voltage right?
a Battery/Lipo with 11,1V at 2200mAh contains 24,42 Watthours of Energy...
so a 4s, 14,8 Volts 2200mAh pack would contain 32,56 Watthours of Energy!
thats 33% more...

is it safe to assume, that one could also fly about 30% longer, as long, as one would NOT use the extra power for speedier maneuvers, but just fly the Phantom like "normal" ?
that could be some sweet thing, since most 2500mAh or 3000mAh Lipos aresimply to big to put into the Phantom, while the mentioned Zippy Compact 4s seems to fit.

Alex
Alex84 is offline Find More Posts by Alex84
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
green led

is there someone knowing....?

wen i start the moters on the phantom the green led blocks twice so:

greengreen.........greengreen.........greengreen.. .... etc

what does that been?

sorry for my englisch

greating,