HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Discussion
Sportster 60 Kit build Motor mount question with pic.

Howdy all,

I'm tackling a Super Sportster 60 GP kit and I was looking at a few threads here and have a question.

This will be my first kit build adapting to electric.

Below is a pic, note the length of the spacers needed to achieve the required distance.

It requires a total of 2 inches total space.

I've seen this done an prefer this method to the "cage" mount but I'm slightly concerned that the weight might be too much to extend the spacers that far.

I bet the Balsa two inch spacer would still be lighter than the cage mount.

So I'm asking if I should perhaps make a Balsa Spacer to take up the two inches, use it with spacers and 4 bolts, or go with a Cage mount like this
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXLCL5&P=

Any one try either of the options and what did you wind up doing?

Thanks - S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:24 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Any way you can extend the fuselage sides and ply doublers to support a new 'firewall' in the proper place for your motor? That way, you wouldn't need any extension mounts.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:35 AM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Any way you can extend the fuselage sides and ply doublers to support a new 'firewall' in the proper place for your motor? That way, you wouldn't need any extension mounts.

D
Dereck,

I do not see why not, I had not thought of that (duh) that may be the best idea yet!

I'm at work but I have the plans here so I'll take a peak at lunch time.

- S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:39 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
-S-, is that an EMD 5055-580 motor?
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
-S-, is that an EMD 5055-580 motor?
CNY-Dave,

Yup EMP 5055-580.... got any info to share

- S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:54 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Heh, I was going to ask you what bearings it took, and where to get a spare prop adapter.
It's the same as the Turnigy Aerodrive XP motor with the same numbers.

If I find out I'll let you know.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Heh, I was going to ask you what bearings it took, and where to get a spare prop adapter.
It's the same as the Turnigy Aerodrive XP motor with the same numbers.

If I find out I'll let you know.
Yea do so, that would be great, I bought it used it was not used much, but I noticed that prop adapter is not the same as others.... BUT I don't know if you have ever done Biz with Headsuprc.com (great folks) but this unit has the same specs with a slightly different can, I figured when I got to the point I'd call and see if they have or can get an adapter, they have them for the shaft end, so he might have or can get one.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-06%29/Detail

Let me know what you find, this motor appears to be the best fit out of all the ones I have so I'm going to use it.


If you want me to tear it down and measure the bearings let me know it's easy to take apart.

What are you using it on? A SS maybe?
- S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:30 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I bought a Global Hobby Fokker D-VII that had the motor in place already.

Ebay member Monstergogo sells the EMD motor, but not sure he has any parts, I asked about a bolt-on prop adapter and he sent me a link to a collet.

The adapter is availavble as a machined part to fit the motor into an FMS plane, but it's way too long, would need a threading die run down it, and has a hex portion that would have to be smoothed off.

That's my fallback, 15 bucks. For a bit more they will customize it.

http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...product_id=128


Don't tear yours apart on my account, I'm just trying to line up the parts before I need 'em.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
I bought a Global Hobby Fokker D-VII that had the motor in place already.

Ebay member Monstergogo sells the EMD motor, but not sure he has any parts, I asked about a bolt-on prop adapter and he sent me a link to a collet.

The adapter is availavble as a machined part to fit the motor into an FMS plane, but it's way too long, would need a threading die run down it, and has a hex portion that would have to be smoothed off.

That's my fallback, 15 bucks. For a bit more they will customize it.

http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...product_id=128


Don't tear yours apart on my account, I'm just trying to line up the parts before I need 'em.
Great site thanks for posting added to Fav's.

Holidays coming up, so my work bench has been shut down for family stuff :-)

Once i'm back in the game I intend to take it apart, and I'll get specs and send them to you as I'm like you good to know before hand where to get what you need before you need it!

Thanks - S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Monstergogo has replied and confirmed that they do not have the bolt-on 'rotor end adapter' available.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:04 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Monstergogo has replied and confirmed that they do not have the bolt-on 'rotor end adapter' available.
Good info even if bad, ok when I get to that point I will call Heads up and have him check out his and see if he can get spares.

Take care, - S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:36 PM
Registered User
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,176 Posts
I have a Monster Power 60 mounted on stand offs. The tube is PEX tubing and the threaded rod is 10-24. I am swinging an APC 18X powered with a 6s 5500 battery. There is not a problem with this setup. Strong as any mount I could build out of wood.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:52 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard View Post
I have a Monster Power 60 mounted on stand offs. The tube is PEX tubing and the threaded rod is 10-24. I am swinging an APC 18X powered with a 6s 5500 battery. There is not a problem with this setup. Strong as any mount I could build out of wood.

Buzz.

That looks real nice, I still like the idea.... I Have a some time to finalize the set up now that I know I need two inches how ever I do it.

I'll do some reading on the PEX tubing thank you very much for the pics!

- S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
Registered User
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,176 Posts
I have this mount in my Giles 202 with Monster Power 46, had it in my T-34 will be putting it in my Formula 3D. It is an easy to assemble mount. Here are few more pictures.

For this mount, the stand off's are over 2 inches. Mentor was over 3 inches and it was solid as a rock .

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:18 PM
electric fly
3rd rock from the sun--east coast
Joined Sep 2004
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -S- View Post
Howdy all,

I'm tackling a Super Sportster 60 GP kit and I was looking at a few threads here and have a question.

This will be my first kit build adapting to electric.

Below is a pic, note the length of the spacers needed to achieve the required distance.

It requires a total of 2 inches total space.

I've seen this done an prefer this method to the "cage" mount but I'm slightly concerned that the weight might be too much to extend the spacers that far.

I bet the Balsa two inch spacer would still be lighter than the cage mount.

So I'm asking if I should perhaps make a Balsa Spacer to take up the two inches, use it with spacers and 4 bolts, or go with a Cage mount like this
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXLCL5&P=

Any one try either of the options and what did you wind up doing?

Thanks - S


Don't use standoffs, much to long for that.
Use PVC pipe.
See pic's.
killerstick is offline Find More Posts by killerstick
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold NIB Great Planes Sportster .60 Kit dhable Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 31, 2012 09:14 PM
Sold Eflite Power 60 with motor mount - $50 shipped D B Cooper Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 5 Aug 20, 2012 07:29 PM
Sold 60 size motor mount with nose gear chyorn Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 May 20, 2012 01:15 PM
Sold Wattage S3A Viking Kit with motors $60 BedEvil Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 May 05, 2012 08:31 AM
For Sale Wattage Sopwith Camel kit, with motor & gear box 38" $60 BedEvil Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 04, 2012 11:12 PM