HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:21 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
811 Posts
Question
Matter of tailrotordirection

Hi guys

As topic,does it really matter which direction the tailblades are spinnng,most of the 3 d helis i come around the tail rotor spins upwash direction,have seen real thing spin downwash,so what do you think,reason for asking...on mine seaking the
Tailrotor is sitting on the left side seen upwards,this makes to turn the tailrotor
180 degrees if to use the trex one.
Looking on youtube for example guys who had make the seaking 500 mostly are using either a trex 500
Or hk 500, in this cases the just turned the tailrotor gearbox around making the blades spin downwash
And it just flies fine.

Just curios.

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Last edited by viggen65; Oct 20, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:50 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
618 Posts
Hi Jack,

I have had the same problem with my Align 600 mechanics in my Apache its also spinning the "wrong" way but it performs just fine.
No problem.

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,759 Posts
If you are running a belt driven tail you can aways rotate your belt 180* at the tail and reinstall gearbox and it will spin upwash.

However on a TT tail unless you add another gear in it some where eather up front at the mount or make a custom raised tail mod , the only way to change its direction is to flip the oneway bearing and change the direction of the main rotor.
cap231ex is online now Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,469 Posts
II have flown helicopters with different configurations, also forward or backward spinning.... never could really establish a noticeable difference in performance.

Mind: that is scalers exclusively. Possibly on high loaded 3D helicopters it does make a difference, but not on scalers.
For that, the velocity of the downwash is too small compared to the velocity of the tailblades.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:30 PM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
II have flown helicopters with different configurations, also forward or backward spinning.... never could really establish a noticeable difference in performance.

Mind: that is scalers exclusively. Possibly on high loaded 3D helicopters it does make a difference, but not on scalers.
For that, the velocity of the downwash is too small compared to the velocity of the tailblades.

Brgds, Bert
Could be so, important thing is that it doesnt matter on our scalers, even the real
thing is spinning downwash on some types

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:06 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,186 Posts
In our experience , the tail rotor direction is nothing different if the linkage and rudder control rod keey same (Pull to add the pitch) . it is nothing different or maybe i can say (so hard to feel the different ).Just keep the rudder control rod (pull to add the tail pitch ) .And check carefully you gyro and gyro servo direct is right or not . some accident is from they change the concept when modification .
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member