Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 26, 2014, 07:14 PM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
261 Posts
Just took up my Lil Butch for the first time and I must say. Out of all the planes in this picture, 2 other maidens, TigerMoth and Alby, the Monocoupe was the best. Very impressed with her stable characteristics and a total joy to fly.
619SixFour is online now Find More Posts by 619SixFour
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2014, 04:22 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2013
613 Posts
How do you take the motor off? I took the prop off, the two screws on the shaft and the small hex locking screw on the rotating part of the motor. It still doesn' come off.

I need to take it off as a crash resulted in the motor mount not being secure anymore and the thrust angle is (way) off.
Seattlehiker is offline Find More Posts by Seattlehiker
Old May 27, 2014, 06:20 PM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlehiker View Post
How do you take the motor off? I took the prop off, the two screws on the shaft and the small hex locking screw on the rotating part of the motor. It still doesn' come off.

I need to take it off as a crash resulted in the motor mount not being secure anymore and the thrust angle is (way) off.
It should just slide off. Maybe some glue got in there. Carefully try to pry it out?
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP
Old May 27, 2014, 08:49 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2013
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWASP View Post
It should just slide off. Maybe some glue got in there. Carefully try to pry it out?
Thanks. It was really stuck. The black motor mount with the wood colored spacers is fine. The red plastic that it all mounts into is cracked in a couple of places.

Now that I got the black part of the mount unscrewed I think I'll be able to just put a little CA in the cracks in the red plastic and then I'll put it all back together.

I've noticed that the more screws there are in a model the more damage a crash will inflict! I'd rather have everything glued together. It's easier to repair and seems to be able to absorb more energy in a crash.
Seattlehiker is offline Find More Posts by Seattlehiker
Old May 27, 2014, 10:33 PM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
607 Posts
That's true mate. I learnt to fly on this plane and had my fair share of crashes. I think I had to repair the nose twice and ended up filling it with epoxy. Ha ha!
All the best with the repair. She's a great plane!
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:51 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Mar 2013
668 Posts
Just wanted to wave hi over here.. I picked this plane up about a month ago.. assembled and it sat for a while waiting for good weather.

It was technically my first plane purchase though I purchased a UMX sbach 342 and flew it first at a smaller field.

I've been flying helicopters for about a year now, planks are quite a new experience. I figured LB would be a good place to start because it's got the high wing like a trainer but wont bore me compared to the inverted flight and tricks I can do on my helis.

I flew the sbach around a small field to get the hang of a plane before taking LB out for a maiden.. but the maiden was rather disastrous... something caused me to lose communication with the plane, so I lost all control and power before it was even trimmed... left wing dropped toward the ground and the rest of the plane followed.

Thankfully the damage was just a wing support, a little crunched foam, a couple of small dents in the wing and a missing battery hatch..

I blamed the RX for the failure, as it was a rather beat up unit with the short antennas and apparently planes can get far away fast and cannot stop to come immediately back like a heli. Replaced it with an AR500, repaired the damage, made a new battery hatch out of one of my broken Goblin 500 CF frame halves.

"maiden #2" was much better.. a bit of a cross breeze on the "runway" but there was enough space to take off into a headwind... I flew it for 5 minutes on full rates, no expo. .It was definitely twitchy but nothing worth going crazy over, just had to be careful. Landed mostly safely.. dropped a wing and did a little damage to the prop nut as the runway is cement.

I bought a plane to be more relaxed than a heli so after the initial flight I plugged some expo into the remote (something like 30%) but left full rates. This plane is both relaxing and fun. I was less than half throttle for most of the second flight but I ramped it up for a couple of high speed passes, some rolls, havent tried a loop yet. Couldn't get a clean landing on flight 2 as the cross breeze picked up and he comes in so hot even with very little throttle, so I set down in the weeds instead... no damage done other than my pride.

A perfect transition into planks for me... unfortunately it also means I've gotten the bug for flying planes.
ryane67 is offline Find More Posts by ryane67