Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:42 PM
The Luftwaffle
Waffleman's Avatar
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
...They work great!!!......

Kevin
Tell me something I didn't know...
I couldn't really tell how much faster because of the wind, but anything beats those E-crap (E-flite) batteries...
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
Tell me something I didn't know...
I couldn't really tell how much faster because of the wind, but anything beats those E-crap (E-flite) batteries...
I don't know if they offer less resistance in this case but I do know that they are good for at least up to 10 amps...Far more than what this application requires...I like them due to their popularity......I would rather change out the UMX plug to the JST's on all of my planes rather than to have several batteries with brand X, Y, or Z plugs...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:11 PM
The Luftwaffle
Waffleman's Avatar
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
978 Posts
Makes sense,
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:33 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I don't know if they offer less resistance in this case but I do know that they are good for at least up to 10 amps...Far more than what this application requires...I like them due to their popularity......I would rather change out the UMX plug to the JST's on all of my planes rather than to have several batteries with brand X, Y, or Z plugs...

Kevin
Yeah... if I had known then what I know now... It all started with the EC-3 connectors that came on my Blade 400 starting me off in the wrong direction with that size. Now all my bigger planes and helis are EC-3. Same thing happened with the UM stuff. It would have saved so much soldering if I had just clipped those suckers off when I first got 'em!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:12 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
NitroCharged, I have two questions for you.

First, what would you say was the best power mod that you came up with? I am wanting to boost the vertical performance of my newly acquired Mig, but saw that you tried many different things. I am comfortable with soldering some extra FETs, but I could just as well put a 10A Castle ESC in there if need be. Do you have a motor/blade combination that you would recommend?

Also, when running on 3S, do you have a problem with the ESC overheating? It seems like it would get hot with the foam surrounding it.
zenmetsu is offline Find More Posts by zenmetsu
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:57 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmetsu View Post
NitroCharged, I have two questions for you.

First, what would you say was the best power mod that you came up with? I am wanting to boost the vertical performance of my newly acquired Mig, but saw that you tried many different things. I am comfortable with soldering some extra FETs, but I could just as well put a 10A Castle ESC in there if need be. Do you have a motor/blade combination that you would recommend?

Also, when running on 3S, do you have a problem with the ESC overheating? It seems like it would get hot with the foam surrounding it.
Check my detailed post on the Turnigy 1220 motor a few pages back. It works really well and you can expect a huge performance increase on 3s without complicated brick modifications or having problems with power cutouts due to overcurrent protection.

Flew with the setup again yesterday and it is very fast and stable, only big disadvantage is that with the 180mah 3s lipo's (Nanotech or Hyp) flighttime WOT is not more then 90 seconds, leaving about 30% juice in the lipo
HenryV is offline Find More Posts by HenryV
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Thanks, I'll check out the post. I live in AZ, so I might need to worry about cooling in the summer.

Can you still fly it on 2S lips and get more time at reduced power, or is this strictly a 3S setup?
zenmetsu is offline Find More Posts by zenmetsu
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmetsu View Post
Thanks, I'll check out the post. I live in AZ, so I might need to worry about cooling in the summer.

Can you still fly it on 2S lips and get more time at reduced power, or is this strictly a 3S setup?
No, this would be a 3S setup only. Due to the lower KV rating of the Turnigy 1220 motor (10300 vs the stock 11750) it will be slow on just 2S.
But the roughly 1500kv less is just enough to avoid too much drawing current on WOT with 3S and encountering the over current protection of the brick.
Thats the huge advantage of this motor.

Alternative is using your stock motor on 3s but limit throttle to 80%. Since it can be very hot in AZ, air is also thinner which makes the edf unit draw less amps.
If your fan is very well balanced you might get away with WOT with the stock motor on hot days, at least for some seconds before the current limiter kicks in. Be sure to install the heatsinks on the fet's though, described in my post and a few other posts as well here.
HenryV is offline Find More Posts by HenryV
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:13 AM
The Luftwaffle
Waffleman's Avatar
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
978 Posts
You know, with my mig, the speed that we see is determined by where it flys. It seems very fast on stock 2s when I fly it my clubs parkflyer area, but if I fly in the "big plane" area, it seems really slow. You don't really need to convert to 3s, you just gotta find a smaller place to fly it.
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:26 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
You know, with my mig, the speed that we see is determined by where it flys. It seems very fast on stock 2s when I fly it my clubs parkflyer area, but if I fly in the "big plane" area, it seems really slow. You don't really need to convert to 3s, you just gotta find a smaller place to fly it.
If you REALLY want to see it scoot, fly it with a TP 325mAh 65C 2S, from RCBabblebat, .....in your bathroom!!



RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
If you REALLY want to see it scoot, fly it with a TP 325mAh 65C 2S, from RCBabblebat, .....in your bathroom!!



RD
LOL!

Might want to add a strip or two of packing tape to the wings first. You know, just for good measure.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:13 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
LOL!

Might want to add a strip or two of packing tape to the wings first. You know, just for good measure.

Joel
And a shower cap over the canopy---....

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:34 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Factory TP 325 mAh 65c UMX packs now available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
..yet..
And here we go! http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-THP3252SPP65B

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:56 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
Hopefully, TP will have more good news in the near future!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Hopefully, TP will have more good news in the near future!
Care to elaborate a bit?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion UMX Carbon Cub SS Mod Thread MinneFlyer Micro Ready-to-Fly 857 Jul 15, 2014 11:57 AM
Discussion E-flite UMX MiG 15 DF SNEAK PEEK! D PAYNE Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 2221 Mar 03, 2014 11:33 AM
Build Log Micro MIG 15 Mod -> Silent Seagull EDF Johannez Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 104 Dec 02, 2013 08:24 AM
Discussion UMX Beast 3D BNF vs UMX Mig 15 EDF BNF which is best? Legendary_Agent Electric Plane Talk 108 Feb 20, 2012 01:49 PM