Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Thanks. I managed to find one here. It's for a friend so I won't be replacing the motor for him

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...roducts_id=846
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:12 AM
Ya gotta land eventually...
United States, NY, Mahopac
Joined Sep 2010
1,084 Posts
Just replace it with a nice HK motor..the plane will become your favorite flyer.

TherESC needs to be upgraded too...FYI

David
Davey NY is online now Find More Posts by Davey NY
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:47 AM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,433 Posts
I agree. Its not worth chasing for parts or even worst waiting for them. headsuprc have good budget motors with plenty of replacement parts (shafts, bearing, retainer clips, thrust washers, etc'). People seems to have good luck with the epbuddy motors and the hobbypartz ones as well, but I do like how headsuprc have all the parts I have mentioned readily available.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,616 Posts
It was a little more breezy than I like, but my Cessna handled it like a pro. I got two flights with decent landing today. I even got a couple of neat photos, playing with a camera mounted on the rear stab.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:41 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,433 Posts
Nice!
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:21 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,933 Posts
Hi Guys!

Glad you all are having fun with your 182's

So, it has been almost 3 weeks since my beloved 182 landed in tall grass and flipped over causing the nose wheel strut to bend and break the cover at the top stem area. Why? Because like a dummy, I decided to use a tired battery, perhaps the oldest of my battery lot and worse, decided to fly low and slow with Flaps deployed and I forgot to initiate the flight timer. I was transfixed with how well the model flew so slow and realistic. Then, I decided to throttle up a bit and was ready to bring up the flaps and at the instant I did throttle up the motor reduced RPMs worse (Battery crapped on me).

I looked for replacement and no one had them so, I waited.....I went ahead and purchased the Dubro 234 item for replacing the entire nose wheel strut with the coiled up loop and perhaps make it better etc...

I finally broke down and carefully removed the snap on chrome plastic spinner and nut, propeller and then, the super easy magnet secured cowling. The steering piece had popped out from the keeper and reason why I had to disassemble the entire frontal nose area to get it back in the keeper as tiny screw driver set was not going to allow.

The Metal Strut piece was very bent so, I carefully took two pliers and holding the fat bottom side of the metal strut, I slowly bent back the skinny portion of the strut so, it can go in the keeper (FUSE) and success!!!

I tightened up the securing screw so, the strut does no free wheel and made sure it turned with the rudder, success!

I re-assembled everything and like to make note that the threads of the cheap propeller adapter is perhaps the last time I will be able to tighten as those threads seemed to be already worn!!

The model flew on Saturday morning with great success and wonder as it was dead calm and early enough that you can see the Lights!!!

I was able to screw back the side covers as best as I could and not bothering to glue the rip on the left side for good luck against any further issues and bad landings or worse bad decisions!

A few pictures!

That Rip is staying!!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,616 Posts
Took my 182 up for a ride just about sunset today. I velcroed a keyfob cam to the horizontal stab.

Learned a couple of things. The camera is sensitive to vibration, especially under 1/2 throttle. At 1/2 and above it is pretty smooth. These little cameras are not the best image makers, but they are a lot of fun for the price. Another thing I learned is, I really need to clean the finger prints and smudges off of my plane. When the Sun hits the side of the plane it looks like crap.

Nothing like a cool fall evening in WV for some RC flying.

Jim
Fall sunset flight near Upper Falls WV (9 min 7 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:04 AM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
I finally went ahead with you guys' recommendations for flaps on my Skylane.

Story and pictures are on my blog (sorry).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748918

minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:26 AM
johnd
1 Stoplight town East of Lansing, MI
Joined Aug 2006
133 Posts
That's awesome. I love the camera placement. So did you cover your plane with some sort of film covering or is that painted? I have one keychain cam vid I've taken on the Cessna. I mounted the camera top of the wing in the center. I think maybe you got less vibration back on the stabilizer. I'll try to post mine now :-)
jondon69 is online now Find More Posts by jondon69
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondon69 View Post
That's awesome. I love the camera placement. So did you cover your plane with some sort of film covering or is that painted? I have one keychain cam vid I've taken on the Cessna. I mounted the camera top of the wing in the center. I think maybe you got less vibration back on the stabilizer. I'll try to post mine now :-)
Thanks. Part of the vibration issue is that is an older prop and it needs balanced again. Also I've learned, the further you mount a cam from the center mass of the plane the more vibration you have.

My Cessna is covered with Oracal vinyl film. It adds about 200 grams to the plane, but it looks good and protects the foam in minor mishaps. This is the 5th foam plane I have covered and I am very happy with the results.

Jim
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:25 PM
johnd
Joined Aug 2006
133 Posts
I've gotten a new prop since this video too... but I will still try with the cam at the tail. I covered a GWS Beaver and it looked great. I do want to change the scheme on mine, will do eventually!

First Aerial Video Flight aboard 55" Cessna Electric RC plane (3 min 8 sec)

Okay, why do I just see the embed code? There must be a trick to this... anybody?
Last edited by jondon69; Oct 10, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondon69 View Post
I've gotten a new prop since this video too... but I will still try with the cam at the tail. I covered a GWS Beaver and it looked great. I do want to change the scheme on mine, will do eventually!

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/51147342" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/51147342">First Aerial Video Flight aboard 55" Cessna Electric RC plane</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user14002139">John Donohoe</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Okay, why do I just see the embed code? There must be a trick to this... anybody?
Nice roomy place you have to fly there.
Try just copying the address for the video in the "insert link" box at the top of this message box. All you need is the address that you see when you click on your video, should look like this http://player. vimeo. com/video/51147342 without spaces. ( I originally typed it without spaces and it posted your video;-))

Jim
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
johnd
Joined Aug 2006
133 Posts
Perfecto! Thanks! Now I definitely have to do some fall color video!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
I absolutely love this plane. I fly this plane whenever I go out and it fits in my coupe without taking the wings off. Man I had no idea how nice it flies and with the flaps on take off or landings, brilliant. Slow flying is a blast with the flaps on it is so steady. I crashed the plane in a freakish accident at the soccer field but the only thing that broke was the dubros landing gear and mount. I was flying and I looked away for a second because I thought I saw a hawk above me and when I looked back at the plane it was coming straight for the batting cage I fly next to. Landed on top of the cage but pulled up so minimal damage. I replaced with dubro's 3/4 or 5/8 I forgot but it is solid now. Thanks for listening to me ramble.
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
johnd
Joined Aug 2006
133 Posts
I have to laugh, you say it fits in your coupe... I drive a Mini Cooper Clubman (the sightly longer version of the new Mini) and it just barely fits -- but it does! I just need to be sure I don't buy any bigger planes! I hate taking wings on and off. I mostly fly at lunch breaks and between work meetings so need to be ready to fly at a moment's notice :-)