This ought to be interesting.....
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2013, 10:27 PM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
644 Posts
Modified to match up and balance, hopefully. Anyone have an idea for the CG?
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:17 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
644 Posts
Transferred to DTF now for support an component placement, anyone help me find the CG? 36" WS 40" long 14" chord at the widest part. Also thinking of making the feet the elevator and the " hands" ailerons. Thoughts, suggestions, insults? First time I have attempted anything like this.

Any help is appreciated!

Jason
Last edited by newguy2012; Jun 04, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:23 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,020 Posts
What superhero Is that?
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:27 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
What superhero Is that?
It's a guy invented by our safety office in my squadron. " Sgt Safety"

I wish I could post some of their briefings it's the funniest damn things!

They make an effort to make the briefings fun and not nap time.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:55 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,928 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836963

Here's a successful one to find out where the cg goes. There are a couple on the loose here if you want to search.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 05, 2013, 05:02 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
644 Posts
Thanks!
Old Jun 05, 2013, 06:20 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,928 Posts
Here's one I was playing with a few yrs ago just for fun He actually flew very well untill I pushed the limits too far and broke his neck. Unfortunately he didn't have a shute. Should buil another one. He was fun. His very large boots would help him stand up and would take off vertically. They would swivel back in flight. Gave everybody a laugh. You can see the prop on his hat. The white spots where his knees are, are the CA hinges for the elevons.

Gord..
Last edited by flypaper 2; Jun 05, 2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2013, 07:07 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Here's one I was playing with a few yrs ago just for fun He actually flew very well untill I pushed the limits too far and broke his neck. Unfortunately he didn't have a shute. Should buil another one. He was fun. His very large boots would help him stand up and would take off vertically. They would swivel back in flight. Gave everybody a laugh. You can see the prop on his hat. The white spots where his knees are, are the CA hinges for the elevons.

Gord..
that is cool! what was the height/width/weight and power set up/prop size what material did you use??

I am trying to decide if I should do elev/ailerons or an elevon set up I think the feet are going to be too small to make effective elevons. but the hands on his hips are big enough to be ailerons, I am not looking for a heavy 3D model, just want to cruise around under control.
Old Jun 05, 2013, 09:14 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,928 Posts
If I was me, I'd do it like your first pic at the top but with his arms like in youe second pic. Make the legs like your first pic. Now you can use them for elevons like the Flyguy and my Buba. You'll need rudders too like the feet/legs on Flyguy for yaw stability. I tried the arms as ails but they didn't work all that well so left them off to lighten it up by two less servos. Made from $ store foam with the paper left on for strength and all hotglued together.. Motor is a Blue Wonder from HK. ESC is Turnigy Plush 18 amp. servos are HXT 900. Batt is 800 ma Zippy Flightmax. All hardware is from HK. Half the fun is the building and experimenting. He flies around in high alfa at walking speed. I wore that one out and need to build another one. Hope this helps Any more questions just holler. Glad to help you have as much fun with it as I did.

Gord.
Old Jun 05, 2013, 09:42 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
If I was me, I'd do it like your first pic at the top but with his arms like in youe second pic. Make the legs like your first pic. Now you can use them for elevons like the Flyguy and my Buba. You'll need rudders too like the feet/legs on Flyguy for yaw stability. I tried the arms as ails but they didn't work all that well so left them off to lighten it up by two less servos. Made from $ store foam with the paper left on for strength and all hotglued together.. Motor is a Blue Wonder from HK. ESC is Turnigy Plush 18 amp. servos are HXT 900. Batt is 800 ma Zippy Flightmax. All hardware is from HK. Half the fun is the building and experimenting. He flies around in high alfa at walking speed. I wore that one out and need to build another one. Hope this helps Any more questions just holler. Glad to help you have as much fun with it as I did.

Gord.
good to know I am going to try the ailerons/elevator first(already cut out), like you said experimenting, this is the alpha test phase. I am only wanting to cruise for show, not acrobatics, also wanting to make this prop in slot, Thanks for you input!!
Old Jun 05, 2013, 10:04 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,928 Posts
I trained Bubu to do loop and rolls before he did his final noseplant. Did one of those figure 9s into the turf Have fun and let us know how you make out.

Gord.
Old Jun 05, 2013, 02:25 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,275 Posts
He turned out great glad you reposted
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jun 05, 2013, 03:03 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
He turned out great glad you reposted

Thank you, still a work in progress, and thank you so much for tiling my plans!
its censored so I don't offend anyone
Old Jun 08, 2013, 05:03 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
644 Posts
First " flight" didn't go so well, I added a vert stab to make him go straight but it goes into a flat spin to the right every time? It also has pitch and roll issues, I think that's because all the electrics are above the wing?
Suggestions?

It looks cool, no paint yet, I want to make sure he can fly first.