HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,177 Posts
Another cool easy to build Spad plane is the SPA3D. I have one I fly from time to time still. It flies slow and makes for a good trainer to get into flying slow and low and can take quite a beating in the process too. It does have a trick to it, in that you can't fly it too fast as the wing will shadow the horizontal stabilizer rendering the elevator useless. But usually you only need to back off the throttle until the starts working again. It is scary when it first happens as you think the servo quit working.

http://frostracing.com/spadtothebone/freeplans.htm
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
OEF 10-11
United States, NC, Taylorsville
Joined Oct 2012
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
I thought you meant flat wing as in no dihedral. You must be talking flat as in the QHor, Gnat or Spa3D. I've never seen anyone make a BUHOR with a flat wing and no airfoil.

As for engine angle, I've never seen enough of a problem to worry about the offset, but I'm not the most graceful flyer out there. Most everyone on spadworld.net just recommends to mount the engines straight so that's what I started doing and it's worked out ok for me.
Well I'm not set on the BUHOR, but I take it they have plans that the main wing doesn't need an airfoil? I have no problem building an airfoil since it seems straight forward.

As far as the mounting the engine straight that is for the info, since I have put ailerons on my wizard I haven't been graceful either lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Another cool easy to build Spad plane is the SPA3D. I have one I fly from time to time still. It flies slow and makes for a good trainer to get into flying slow and low and can take quite a beating in the process too. It does have a trick to it, in that you can't fly it too fast as the wing will shadow the horizontal stabilizer rendering the elevator useless. But usually you only need to back off the throttle until the starts working again. It is scary when it first happens as you think the servo quit working.

http://frostracing.com/spadtothebone/freeplans.htm

Lol thanks for the heads up and link
new user is offline Find More Posts by new user
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
Call me Frosty
Lawton, Oklahoma - USA
Joined Sep 2004
397 Posts
http://www.spadtothebone.net/freeplans.htm is the latest working link. I'm not sure I have fixed all the links and stuff on the frostracing.com one - it was a backup until spadtothebone.net was available
TheRealFrosty is offline Find More Posts by TheRealFrosty
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:15 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Both wings of the BUHOR have an airfoil. One has dihedral and one is without, but they're both folded over into an airfoil the same way.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:17 AM
OEF 10-11
United States, NC, Taylorsville
Joined Oct 2012
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Both wings of the BUHOR have an airfoil. One has dihedral and one is without, but they're both folded over into an airfoil the same way.
Alright, I go for a job interview today and hopefully land this job so I can start on this in a couple weeks
new user is offline Find More Posts by new user