HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:14 AM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jul 2012
454 Posts
Discussion
good nitro heli for aerial still pics

hi guys,

i need your help with a rc heli for aerial pics.

Right now am using a quad with wookong m gps which i am happy with. however its not so stable in the wind and doesnt give me enough flight time.

I am looking for a nitro based heli which will give me more flight time and should be stable in windy conditions.

can you guys suggest a heli that should be able to pick up a camera like canon a2200??
ahtiram is online now Find More Posts by ahtiram
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined Mar 2007
557 Posts
Why nitro? If acquiring a heli from scratch, definitely go e-power. Nitro can be done, but why marry into a bad family?

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is offline Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:02 AM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jul 2012
454 Posts
i assumed nitros would be more stable in windy conditions?? Or are they worse than a quad, hex or a y6??
ahtiram is online now Find More Posts by ahtiram
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:11 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
The type of motor has nothing to do with stability, it is just something to make the blades turn.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Mar 2007
557 Posts
I've flown a Trex 700E in 25-30mph wind with no problem. Back in the day a Raptor 60 on OS.70 was stable in that kind of wind, but there just wasn't enough power to comfortably move around.

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is offline Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Aug 2007
708 Posts
I used a raptor 50 with the tppacks eccpm conversion kit and the photoship one front mount for a few years to haul my canon 1d around. Worked great except for the smoke. I fly my hex in 30mph chasing kitesurfers here and its just fine. If you want flight times, go gasser, not nitro...
MauiNate is offline Find More Posts by MauiNate
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:32 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtiram View Post
hi guys,

i need your help with a rc heli for aerial pics.

Right now am using a quad with wookong m gps which i am happy with. however its not so stable in the wind and doesnt give me enough flight time.

I am looking for a nitro based heli which will give me more flight time and should be stable in windy conditions.

can you guys suggest a heli that should be able to pick up a camera like canon a2200??
The major issue with glow fuel (nitro) is that they have 18 to 22 percent of oil in the fuel. That oil doesn't burn and come out the exhaust. With a bit of wind the oil will get all over your camera and even on the lens.

If you insist on using glow fuel (which is alcohol base) you may want to consider a helicopter designed for a four stroke engine.

If you want long flight duration, I highly suggest looking at a gasoline based helicopter.

Otherwise an electric powered single main rotor helicopter is a good choice for what you want to do.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave