SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:11 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
Discussion
3 or 4ch trainer for experienced Heli Pilot?

EDIT: Sorry the title may imply I am an experienced 6CH 3D heli pilot, I meant to say experienced 4CH FP heli

I have a simple question for the experienced Plank flyers to answer for me.

I am a well developed 4ch heli pilot, and am also starting to get into Micro Quads (eg Walkera Ladybird). But after reading more and more about 6ch helis, I have decided that they just are not for me, and instead fixed wing is going to be my way to go, just seems so much nicer to fly forwards than like an angry mosquito on Speed!

I have been thinking and reading about the differences between a 3ch trainer (Rud/Elev or Aile/Elev) as well as the standard 4ch plane. But I can't decide which is likely to be the best starting point to get into flying planes. I can easily fly my heli's (up to 300 size) with banked turns in both directions, and coordinating Rudder, Aileron and Elevator is not a problem. My 300 size heli in particular flies very similar control input wise to a plane.

I have both Phoenix 4 and RealFlight 5 at my disposal to aid in learning.

I just want to know what the best setup is for someone with my basic experience to learn to fly planes. I preferably would like something that can grow with me and continue to be fun after I learn the basics. A good example of what I DON'T want is say learning heli's with a 3ch coax. Those things are tame and boring after 5-6 flights.

A couple planes I have considered are the Bixler 2 from HobbyKing, or the HK Tuff Trainer

Note that I am Australian, so US Suppliers are not preferable as shipping is usually expensive. Plus I am looking to go Spektrum or Futaba for radio setups, so BNF or ARF is also something to consider. Or at least DSM2/X, FASST or AnyLink compatible RTF
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Last edited by slothy89; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Clarified Thread Title
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
Tellin' it like it is!
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Bro, skip the trainer and go for an Extra 300 at the minimum!

Compared to 3D helis, fixed wing flying is like being asleep yo! You'll see!
JamesNeal is offline Find More Posts by JamesNeal
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:16 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNeal View Post
Bro, skip the trainer and go for an Extra 300 at the minimum!

Compared to 3D helis, fixed wing flying is like being asleep yo! You'll see!
After reading your "Why so serious?" thread, I will take your opinion with a grain of salt

Also you failed to note I don't and can't fly 3D heli's.. I am exclusively a Fixed Pitch pilot.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
Your experience with 4 ch helis will directly relate to 4 ch planes with ailerons. I think it would be less intuitive to move to 3 ch planes. I started with helis and my 1st plane was the parkzone micro T-28 (4 ch). I now have three planes and hardly touch the helis anymore.
jgam is offline Find More Posts by jgam
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
If you fly FP helis and have the orientation down, then I would say that you could comfortably fly an airplane, however, an RC airplane DOES NOT fly like a FP heli, and landing an airplane is way different from bringing a heli in for a landing. Start with something like a Hobbyzone Super Cub and learn to take off and land on that. It shouldn't take you long to graduate to a 4 channel plane. My friend who has a lot of CCP heli experience still crashed two planes severely while landing them. The old saying is, "Flying is realtively easy, it's the landings that'll get ya."
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
I mentioned my 300 sized heli flies like a plane control wise, in turns ie you move the sticks in a similar fashion, meaning I have the coordination to understand a 4ch. I'm well aware landing is totally different. I would probably prefer a hand launch, belly landing plane as they're easier to land on grass without cart-wheeling.

I've looked at the supercub, do they make them 2.4ghz yet? Or is it at least a simple conversion? Also good chance I'd add ailerons to the SC if I went that route (once I could fly it 3ch of course)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:28 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
I think that Bixler or Bixler II is the good trainer for you. In my idea Futaba FASST 2.4GHz works better than the DSM2 one, better to use Spektrum satellite receiver on Bixler if you would like to use Spektrum radio. There's Turnigy x9 FHSS 2.4GHz radio available on HK site or even their Australian warehouse, some of my buddies applied this radio, they said it works fine and its receiver, spare one, is cheaper than Futaba or genuine Spektrum one.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
i would go straight to a 4 channel trainer. i love the eflite apprentice. it's only a guess, but it seems you should have the orientation down pretty good, and since your familiar with the sticks maybe you won't be banging them all over the place.

the hobbyzone super cub is an excellent plane tho. it's only 3 channel, and with the brushed motor and gearbox it kinda seems dated, but it is just a blast to fly if you like scale flying.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:49 PM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
hmm... I'm thinking either the Bixler, or the Super Cub. The SC sounds good as I can have a bit of fun modifying it to use Brushless, and adding Ailerons. Also the SC just looks good

One of the things that does draw me to Planes is how much easier it is to find a scale looking plane and still be a blast to fly with minimal investment. For example the Fun Fighters sold by HobbyKing
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:28 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
EDIT: Sorry the title may imply I am an experienced 6CH 3D heli pilot, I meant to say experienced 4CH FP heli

I have a simple question for the experienced Plank flyers to answer for me.

I am a well developed 4ch heli pilot, and am also starting to get into Micro Quads (eg Walkera Ladybird). But after reading more and more about 6ch helis, I have decided that they just are not for me, and instead fixed wing is going to be my way to go, just seems so much nicer to fly forwards than like an angry mosquito on Speed!

I have been thinking and reading about the differences between a 3ch trainer (Rud/Elev or Aile/Elev) as well as the standard 4ch plane. But I can't decide which is likely to be the best starting point to get into flying planes. I can easily fly my heli's (up to 300 size) with banked turns in both directions, and coordinating Rudder, Aileron and Elevator is not a problem. My 300 size heli in particular flies very similar control input wise to a plane.

I have both Phoenix 4 and RealFlight 5 at my disposal to aid in learning.

I just want to know what the best setup is for someone with my basic experience to learn to fly planes. I preferably would like something that can grow with me and continue to be fun after I learn the basics. A good example of what I DON'T want is say learning heli's with a 3ch coax. Those things are tame and boring after 5-6 flights.

A couple planes I have considered are the Bixler 2 from HobbyKing, or the HK Tuff Trainer

Note that I am Australian, so US Suppliers are not preferable as shipping is usually expensive. Plus I am looking to go Spektrum or Futaba for radio setups, so BNF or ARF is also something to consider. Or at least DSM2/X, FASST or AnyLink compatible RTF
Are you planning on having just one plane ? I like having a variety of planes to fly - a relaxing slow flyer ( great for flying at night with LED lights ) , a 3D plane capable of doing tricks , a fast adrenaline rush jet , etc.

If you think you'll have multiple planes , start with the Tuff Trainer because it will be the easiest to learn on , and then for your second plane get a 4 channel ( like a 3D plane ) to learn ailerons , and then a jet , and then ......
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:10 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Are you planning on having just one plane ? I like having a variety of planes to fly - a relaxing slow flyer ( great for flying at night with LED lights ) , a 3D plane capable of doing tricks , a fast adrenaline rush jet , etc.

If you think you'll have multiple planes , start with the Tuff Trainer because it will be the easiest to learn on , and then for your second plane get a 4 channel ( like a 3D plane ) to learn ailerons , and then a jet , and then ......
Definitely multiple planes. As you say, something simple and fun to fly, as well as something a little more exciting like the EPO Warbirds and EDF Jets.

But I want my first plane to be more than just a stepping stone. I want it to be capable enough to still be enjoyable once I've learnt what I can from it. Hence the idea of something like a Bixler or SuperCub
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
I had a similar intro to RC, started with micro helis, got up to a single rotor FP and was proficient. I bought the Phoenix sim to practice helis and got hooked on planes. My first plane ended up being a StevensAero FullHouse 500 with ailerons and I don't regret going straight to an aileron trainer.

I think understanding how to use roll vs. yaw in turning and being used to different orientations, which you have from your heli experience and time on the sim, will make dealing with ailerons a non-issue.
campbelltf is online now Find More Posts by campbelltf
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:59 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
Just thought I would finalise this thread. I have settled on the consensus of you guys here and also talked to the guys at my LHS. Seems 4ch is the way to go.

Also partly because I find the 3ch Elev/Rudd planes on RealFlight to be a real awkward plane to fly. I need my Ailerons!

Managed to modify the Multiplex Easystar 3ch to include Ailerons, as this is the closest model to what I am getting, the J-Power Sky Surfer, aka BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer, aka Bixler V1.

Thank you all for your input
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:11 AM
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Aug 2012
207 Posts
I am looking into the same thing been learning to fly my 130x even did a flip today. I got phenix sim to give me something to do when dead at work. Started flying the default plane and man it felt natural. Ailerons seems perfectly natural. Far easier to fly planes in the sim then the helis. I was going to get a champ but not sure. A champ is about as much room as I have to fly in plus no runway. I use a board for my helis. Any ideas?
fooferdoggie is offline Find More Posts by fooferdoggie
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:07 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
I am looking into the same thing been learning to fly my 130x even did a flip today. I got phenix sim to give me something to do when dead at work. Started flying the default plane and man it felt natural. Ailerons seems perfectly natural. Far easier to fly planes in the sim then the helis. I was going to get a champ but not sure. A champ is about as much room as I have to fly in plus no runway. I use a board for my helis. Any ideas?
Get a plane that can belly land, such as the Bixler/HawkSky/SkySurfer/AXN Floater Jet. 2 reasons, 1) no gear to snap on your first landing, 2) less chance of cart wheeling!

In terms of space, might be worth looking for a park/field further from home to fit a larger plane in.