HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Discussion
MSR upgrades for durability? Next bird?

Ive had my mSR 2 weeks now and possibly 100 battery packs threw it, This is my first ANYTHING that goes into the air. So the little heli took a good beating teaching me to fly, It never broke a single part until after i actually got better and the worn parts started to finally let go.

So now im in the process of rebuilding it to new condition again for reliability now that i crash very little even while flying indoors in my smallish house. Im using all stock parts as i find them really durable, But in the long run i wonder if buying upgrade aluminum parts would last longer and id have fewer rebuilds and parts wearing out?

Looks or added performance aren't a concern at this point as im still kinda new and ive gotten over "Bling" parts when i had my Losi LST.
What id like to know is do the upgraded parts pay for themselves with less broken parts and less wear?

I can buy a new mSR minus the 5 in 1 and Tx and charger for $50 off ebay.
I keep enough spare parts on hand that i can build a new airframe minus the 5 in 1 also. So plastic isnt as cheap as it sounds imo.

On a second bird, Im having a hard time.
So far i mainly fly indoors and my mSR is more than i can handle now anyhow, But i know i will want more. More of everything, Power, size and abilities.

Ive been considering building an mCP X from scratch with all upgraded parts so i dont have to buy two heli's in the end as im rather sure i want this second heli to be built to handle everything and strong. And it should be a collective pitch heli also, A non motor driven tail is 75% requirement.

I am also leaning towards a larger size in the SR and SR120 sized machines, But i need to see just how much i get outside with my mSR to see how important the size really is.

I own a Spectrum DX6i already and that was some well spent money, Even my bone stock mSR fly's like a beast compared to how it did with the stock radio.

Ive been reading the Blade SR is just not a well crafted heli after reading reviews at Horizon. I don't mind spending the money as long as its on quality items.

Blade 450 3D BNF- Looks like it may be the competition to the hand built all upgraded mCPX package? The larger heli's seem to be more of a draw to me as a second chopper and my first CP trainer.

I really like the idea of brush-less motors, At least in my RC trucks.
I want the whole package to be $400 or less as a BNF, That includes any mods that need done out of necessity and not just personal choice. Id like this one to be the best quality i can get for the money.

Im also looking at the T-REX 250 SE Super Combo, It doesn't look like it needs any upgrades out of the box.

Past those Blade heli's i know nothing about its competition, So other recommendations are welcome. After market parts are important as well as easily found replacements.

(Edit) After reading this site more ive been really impressed with the Chaos 450 Pro Super Combo for $299. But size may be an issue since i do like indoor flying in my living room. Then again my mSR is more than enough to handle for indoor flight in the smallish rooms my house has.
DasFriek is offline Find More Posts by DasFriek
Last edited by DasFriek; Oct 13, 2011 at 07:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:16 PM
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
There are plenty of MSR upgrades.. However it's really unnecessary since it's already very durable. The only upgrade I did on mine was CNC blade grips because the old plastic ones eventually broke. Weight is also an issue, I'm not sure if the CNC parts are heavier.

$50 for a bare bones MSR sounds like alot. The 5 in 1 board alone costs 50-60 bucks or so? Same with the mCP x .. not sure if you could get the parts cheap enough. This could be a good idea however if you wanted to go brushless from the ground up, since the stock mCP is brushed.

The 120SR is basically just a larger MSR, more outdoor worthy but not by much. Since I've bought the 120sr though, I don't fly the MSR nearly as much. Just no need/time.

There is no comparison of a 450 to an mCP other than they're both CP's. The 450 is much larger than the mCP.. The mCP is only slightly larger than the MSR.

I could never recommend a 450 or larger for a beginner CP.. Only because you can easily hurt yourself or someone else, even if you think your being level headed and with good judgement. HOWEVER, they are generally more stable than smaller CP helis'.

If your worried about outdoor use, the mCP (being flybarless) can handle wind very well, and it's durable enough to crash a few hard times before repairing. Repairs take moments versus hours. I consider the mCP outdoors, unless your good enough to fly indoors.

I did buy the B450 though and was tickled to death how it hovered right out of the box, no adjustments needed. Have yet to crash it! someday.. someday..

Oddly enough I would avoid a 250 size. They're no where near as stable as a 450 and are a pain in the butt to work on. Small size, small parts, etc. I own one though, and it's no POS!

There are plenty of other brands, of which I have no experience. I hear the Genius CP is nice, may grab one some day... I need a radio though.
sirs69 is offline Find More Posts by sirs69
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
I agree that the mSR needs no upgrades to improve durability. If anything the CNC unpgrades will reduce durability BUT will give better performance (depending on who you ask)
Ive thrashed and crashed the hell out of my msr and so has the wife and kids and have so far we have broken 1 blade grip, and 1 set of landing gear.
Oh and Ive split my canopy aound one of the mounting holes that was more due to heavy handedness than anything else lol
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Ive not read up on the full dangers of a full sized heli, But id suppose its close to an over-sized blender gone crazy on crack?

Ive been doing some small mods on my mSR and its definitely not mod friendly unless you have a gram scale and make sure the weight bias stays close to stock. Half my mods had to come off due to too much weight and too much rear bias.
Ive gotten it close to how it fly in its stock form, But it needs dialed in alot more.
These were mods done for looks, So if i have to take them off like i did it cant be helped.

I think ill just add the blade grips, Ive busted one set already and i dont like how they wear.
Id say an after market from would be nice, But i gotta look at its weight. I had issues with my first frame breaking off two canopy arms and i fixed that with double .070 CF rod epoxied together for strength with one just slightly longer that the other to fit the canopy.

I can swear i started noticing very erratic flying about 3/4 the way threw a battery which makes me think heat is an issue. I no longer have scales so i didnt weight the chopper like i would like too. Ive heat sinked the larger items on the 5-in-1 and with more testing i may go back and see if the motor needs it also.

Im gonna have to look for an mSR versus mCPX comparison and see just what id gain. Since its very hard to add brushless motors without major mods better power out of the stock motor will be important.
I may stay with the micro size and at most move up to a 120 size at this point once i feel i can use more than what the mSR has to offer. So far its still way above my abilities.
Building a mCPX from stock ebay parts a few at a time should get me one cheap enough.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:49 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirs69 View Post
I could never recommend a 450 or larger for a beginner CP.. Only because you can easily hurt yourself or someone else, even if you think your being level headed and with good judgement. HOWEVER, they are generally more stable than smaller CP helis'.
It wasn't that long ago that a "beginner" CP was a .30 or .50 size nitro, with a 46" - 60" rotor diameter. A 450 is just fine as a first CP. You just have to be sensible, and be ready to dump it if you have to. A newb's first major purchase should be a good computer radio with throttle hold. Then get used to using it. (The throttle hold.) You also don't have to set up your first CP for insane 3D before you can even hover. Gear it to around 2200 - 2400 RPM. That and a little expo to calm the twitchiness down, and you'd be surprised how stable a 450 is.(I have a hk450 with a scale three blade head that flies nice and scale-like at around 1800 RPM.)
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasFriek View Post
These were mods done for looks, So if i have to take them off like i did it cant be helped.
:facepalm: Tell me you didn't get it from MIA, he's a con artist, so I hear.

There is no comparison between mSR (FP) and the mCP (CP), other than the fact the tail motor is the same. The tail boom is shorter on the mSR since it's low torque (FP).

The CNC grips are well worth it, should never break again. As far as I know, none of the upgrades will improve performance other than maybe the CNC swash. I bought one of these (microheli) and it's too tight on the main shaft so it wouldn't work right. A brushless motor in an MSR seems pointless, being fixed pitch.

And yes, a blender is a good comparison. The blades will slice through you like a hot knife through butter. My 450 tail blade got me once, left a bunch of nice gashes on my leg

It sounds like you may need to see someone fly a CP or look at some videos. It's definitely not for the faint of heart and requires countless hours of training. Not like a FP at all
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli View Post
It wasn't that long ago that a "beginner" CP was a .30 or .50 size nitro, with a 46" - 60" rotor diameter. A 450 is just fine as a first CP. You just have to be sensible, and be ready to dump it if you have to. A newb's first major purchase should be a good computer radio with throttle hold. Then get used to using it. (The throttle hold.) You also don't have to set up your first CP for insane 3D before you can even hover. Gear it to around 2200 - 2400 RPM. That and a little expo to calm the twitchiness down, and you'd be surprised how stable a 450 is.(I have a hk450 with a scale three blade head that flies nice and scale-like at around 1800 RPM.)
I totally agree, +1 on a good transmitter if you don't have one already.. and sim time.

I was suggesting that a 450 wasn't a good idea only because they have smaller (and much less dangerous, heh) helis' out now.. Not to mention the breakage factor...
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:03 AM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Even tho suggestions may vary, They all have merit one way or another.
As for a radio i did splurge on a DX6i, Yes i know its about the about the lowest you can go and still be a great radio. Im not cheap, Just frugal and on a fixed income. Anyhow it has (throttle hold) also, And is setup from the guide thats floating around here.

No, It wasnt MIA parts. But imo they couldn't have been much worse.

Black delrin gear x2 - Both are warped.

Carbon fiber canopy - Its pretty much thin plastic with 1 layer of carbon weave glued inside and the bottom is thin plastic which cracked and fell apart in 3 crashes. The matching tail fin it comes with was carbon fiber looking but so thin it was useless.

Carbon fiber landing gear- front post broke off inside the frame in 6 crashes.

Luckily im pretty creative and can fix most things and make the work, But the added weight of all the epoxy and CF rod doesn't help the already weak mSR main motor. Its also hard to keep parts square and true and the chopper is way out of whack in how the fixed parts like up.
Im waiting until i get a bit better with my flying before i go and rebuild a new airframe and just swap in my 5 in 1.

As far as the future upgrades the rotor grips are a must buy, And im considering a CNC frame as i do tend to break canopy arms alot and replacing them on a plastic frame is not easy.

I think my next purchase heli wise will be a Blade mCP X BNF so i can fly inside my small house and its durability will be alot better. Safety and low costs helps alot also.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:29 PM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
I have some updates, And still a few questions.

Ive got my mSR almost all plastic in parts, Except the small use of CF for reinforcing weak spots. Id guess its the same weight as stock or just a tad over. Ive also learned to stop drooling over CNC aluminum and even CF parts as plastic parts are cheap and usually lighter. The heli is flying as good as it did out of the box, Well better since i know more of what im doing now.
The DX6i was the BEST upgrade anyone could purchase for this heli.
While in D/R mode (low setting) it still has enough power to pull out of a dive which it couldn't do when i had upgraded parts on it. That is a good test i try out when i mod or swap a new part in.

For my question.
For Christmas im looking to get an upgrade to the mSR. But i cant seem to find what i want exactly.
Of course the MCP X is the natural pick if i cant find something else, Its just smaller than i want.
Im looking for a CP heli the size of the Blade 120 or SR and preferably with a brushless setup, I like the SR but ive read to many bad things about it. It should also have parts readily available at most LHS's and online and not overly expensive.
BNF would be nice since i have a radio and hobby charger that will charge anything.
I wish Chaos made a heli this size.

(Edit) Looking around i found this: Heli-Max Novus 125 CP Sub Micro 2.4GHz RTF $279.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYLG0&P=0
Last edited by DasFriek; Oct 22, 2011 at 12:27 AM.