Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Tee,
Add down thrust to your motor mount is one way to do what you want.

I've found that a cg closer to 52-55mm from the leading edge is a good place to have it. As the plane sits with the servos powered up, is the elevator slightly up? 40 mm is a nose heavy cg which requires up elevator. Moving the cg back may help you.
Thanks for that Hoppy, I'll give it a try at 53mm
I suspect I'll need to weight the tail a little to achieve that though, I have already moved the servos to the tail just to get 40mm with a 2200 3s in the battery section

I had wanted to install FPV gear including my RVOSD but was concerned about the planes behaviour with throttle
Hopefully your suggestion will sort that out for me

Terry
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:09 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,029 Posts
Yeah, I've got a couple of ounces of lead in the tail even after carving out a lot of foam so I could slide the battery pack rearward into that hole.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:58 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Thanks hoppy
I had a fly with it this afternoon, had to cut it short as the wings had worked slightly loose and I forgot to take my tools with me

However it flew great, I just had to adjust the CoG a little more forward than 53mm, haven't measured yet but will do so later
First flight at 53mm was mental, wasn't sure I was going to be able to bring her in safely, second flight was great didn't really need throttle as the winds were around 25-30mph but tested throttle anyway and she no longer pitches up as badly, she still does a fair bit but not vertical like before
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
I just spent 3 hours flying, nice plane. I was reading some of the posts and I see I was not alone with the rear elevator screws kicking my butt. I bought this plane about 6 months ago I had to cut off the nose of the plane just behind the motor board so I could put in a new motor. I hot glued 1/8 in. balsa as a fire wall and then used my dremel to make all the mounting holes and space for the motor leads to pass thru. Then I cut a little notch out of the back side of the new cowling to sit over the balsa mount. Looks okay. Once I launch it I can't see it and that works for me.
mertz is offline Find More Posts by mertz
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
Tee,
Experiment with your battery location and size. I had to work with mine a little but today was a great flying day. A steady breeze and good thermals and this plane just aout took off right out of my hands, I applied a little power for forward momentum and it just crept right away from me. Today I liked the smaller size of the 1300 lipo.

Quote:
Tee,
Add down thrust to your motor mount is one way to do what you want.

I've found that a cg closer to 52-55mm from the leading edge is a good place to have it. As the plane sits with the servos powered up, is the elevator slightly up? 40 mm is a nose heavy cg which requires up elevator. Moving the cg back may help you.
mertz is offline Find More Posts by mertz
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:28 AM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Brugge
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Guys

My Fox has left de building

After 10 flights the stock motor got stuck in flight, noticed it to late and the ESC died as well....Oh well at least she came down in style, with a smoketrail

Steve
stevo0476 is online now Find More Posts by stevo0476
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
796 Posts
Still checking in here.
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:14 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
539 Posts
For various reasons that I won't go into I hadn't flown my Fox for 5 months.
The last time I flew it I remarked that with the CG at 52mm it still needed up elevator to achieve a nice flat glide.

So, this weekend I was determined to resurect the Fox.

I spent yesterday afternoon checking everything on the model and then rebalanced with the CG set at 55mm. I left all the flying surface deflections as before.

Some friends and I arrived at the flying field at 9 this morning. Put the Fox together, inserted a 2200mah lipo, one final check and everything was go for a test flight.

A friend launched the Fox into the gentle breeze and off it soared. Up to a reasonable height and power off to test the glide. I immediately noticed a big difference with much less tendency for the nose to drop. However, a tad of elevator up trim was still required to achieve the slow flat glide I was looking for. After 5 or 6 minutes I landed the model.

I then removed a little more foam to allow the lipo to go back about 5mm. My estimate would be that the CG would now be close to about 56mm.

Elevator trim reset to centre. Second launch, up to height and power off as before to test the glide again. Now, for me at least, it was perfect and the Fox glided along effortlessly with no tendency to drop the nose and I was a happy bunny. Therefore, I took advantage of the favourable conditions for a while, acqainting myself with the model's new flying characteristics.

Despite the more aft CG the model behaved beautifully and flew very smoothly. Pitch sensitivity wasn't a problem and I didn't encounter any tendency to tip stall through turns. As my confidence built I did a few low passes along the strip to the applause and cheers of my friends.

After 15 minutes my Tx timer beeped and I came in to land. With the model now floating along at a more leisurely pace it needed much less distance to arrive on terra firma and I felt more comfortable with the whole flight experience.

Now, really looking forward to the next opportunity to Fly the " New Improved " Fox again.

Footnote: I flew the Fox today for a total of about 20 minutes. I have just recharged the flight battery and it needed 1172 mah to fully charge. Some nice long flights should be easily possible.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:19 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
Is there still anyone that flies this plane? I've been considering one for aver a year, but haven't convinced myself that I really need one. I have several sailplanes, powered and non, but I really like the scale looks of the Fox. If I were to get one, the motor would be just for launching, and then the rest is up to me and the air. I know scale planes don't thermal like a Radian, and usually like to be flown faster. But how does the fox do as a sailplane? I think it would be fun on the slope too. Anyone want to give an update, and how many have given up on the plane, and moved onto something else?

Thanks, Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:03 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,711 Posts
I was still flying my Fox from time to time until I flew it into a very tall lamp post coming for a landing last weekend. I also have a Radian and an EPP Eagle. Both of those are way better sailplanes than the Fox but I really like the looks of the Fox. Having said that, it's not a bad sailplane. It just doesn't have quite the same "hang time" as the other 2. Where those can actually gain altitude with ease, you have to work at it more with the Fox.

BTW, does anyone know where I can buy just the wings? I've tried the main sellers that I know of and none of them carry just the wings.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:33 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,029 Posts
Ditto, I agree with xviper.

Hobbypartz had wings, don't know if they still carry them.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:23 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,711 Posts
Quote:
Hobbypartz had wings, don't know if they still carry them.
Thanks. Went to check and it doesn't look like HobbyPartz even carries planes anymore. However, Nitroplanes (sister company) does list the Fox wing set ($39.00) but are out of stock. I'll keep checking.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,029 Posts
My goof, I meant Nitro... I had to buy a body and wing set from them after planting mine squarely between the bars of a LaCrosse goal. Never could get it to fly right after that.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:37 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,199 Posts
You'll have better luck buying another Fox from HK than dealing with either of those.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:01 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
You'll have better luck buying another Fox from HK than dealing with either of those.
You may be right. $114.00 + shipping for a PNP Fox from HK is not a bad replacement and I'd keep the bits and pieces of the old one for spares, not that I think I'll need them. I've learned a lot with this one. I've done most of my dumb crashes with it and I think I can fly the next one without incident (so long as those lamp posts don't walk in front of my glide path). I've got a lot of planes at the moment, including converting an 11' slope soarer to electric but when I begin to miss the old Fox, I'll get another one.