SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:51 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Build Log
CMP Spitfire 50 - 54"

Has anyone seen this one yet? I love the shape of the fuselage and it looks like the canopy shape is pretty fair as well. Looks pretty sweet in the photos. Hope it looks that good in person, I ordered one last week! Used the 10% off B4BLACKFRI discount code. Should arrive tomorrow if UPS tracking is accurate.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/spitfire50.html

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:11 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Link to a video at the bottom of the CMP page. Poor quality video but the plane seems to fly well.

http://www.cmpairplane.com/warbird/S...50%20Size.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:04 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Really nice looking model, Mike.
Best of luck with the build
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Thanks Jag. I'm really impressed with the quality of the construction. I had a CMPro Discus glider that I sold before finishing. It was very nice looking but seemed fragile and required going over and improving things. Can't yet see where this needs improving.

I have to get cracking on the Hurricane build which is more than half way done and also squeeze in some work on my Hawker Typhoon scratchbuild project. A quicker project will be a repair of a Stein Hawker Typhoon that I got from a friend. That just needs motor and radio equipment installed after a minor wing repair.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:28 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
CMP 50 Spitfire

I ordered mine on the 17th using the 11% discount from NitroPlanes.
rlafolle is offline Find More Posts by rlafolle
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:55 PM
Blam!
Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2007
563 Posts
What are you planning on using for power?
Daniel C is offline Find More Posts by Daniel C
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:18 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Spitfire

I will be using a O.S. 46AX, I have since bought a Saito FA-65 4 stroke to use in the spitfire
rlafolle is offline Find More Posts by rlafolle
Last edited by rlafolle; Dec 09, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:58 AM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlafolle View Post
I will be using a O.S. 46AX
The O.S. 46AX is a good motor but If you can stretch your wallet go for the OS 55.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:49 PM
Blam!
Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2007
563 Posts
Darn I was hoping your were going electric with this one, as I was toying with the idea. Nevertheless a 46AX will be nice for power, I have an older OS46 in a Kyosho At-6 Texan (fiberglass fuse) and it flys great, not a speed demon though.
Currently, I am building a Kyosho Spitfire, however, from your photos the CMP version looks way better... CMP defiantly makes some nice planes. I wonder if the CG will be off on the Spit like on all their other 50 sized planes?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:55 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel C View Post
Darn I was hoping your were going electric with this one, as I was toying with the idea. Nevertheless a 46AX will be nice for power, I have an older OS46 in a Kyosho At-6 Texan (fiberglass fuse) and it flys great, not a speed demon though.
Currently, I am building a Kyosho Spitfire, however, from your photos the CMP version looks way better... CMP defiantly makes some nice planes. I wonder if the CG will be off on the Spit like on all their other 50 sized planes?
Sorry that I didn't answer sooner. I haven't decided which motor I'm going with. It'll be one of the big Turnigy motors though on something like 6s.

I do hope the CG is right. I'll be conservative and make it nose heavy using the stated CG. Hate to wreck this beauty.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:12 AM
Blam!
Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2007
563 Posts
Keep us updated on the build....
FYI I am planing on using a Turnigy 50-55B 600kv Outrunner on a 6s 5000 in a CMP Zero... not sure if the Turnigy 50-55A 400kv would be better though... I am going to use the 50-5B in my Kyosho spit on a 4S 5000... with either a 13x8 or a 13x10 prop
Old Nov 27, 2009, 04:47 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,257 Posts
Just picked up one for me. $127 shipped on Black Friday...will be going electric as well...
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:31 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel C View Post
Keep us updated on the build....
FYI I am planing on using a Turnigy 50-55B 600kv Outrunner on a 6s 5000 in a CMP Zero... not sure if the Turnigy 50-55A 400kv would be better though... I am going to use the 50-5B in my Kyosho spit on a 4S 5000... with either a 13x8 or a 13x10 prop
Wow, you think this will handle a 6S 5000 pack? Seems heavy for a 54" plane. I had the 48" Hyperion Spitfire and only flew it on a 5S 2200 mah pack. I've got a bunch of 6S 5000 packs that would be perfect for this, and I miss my spitfire something fierce, but I just can't see a plane with only 5 more inches on the wing being able to handle that weight.

Have you tried fitting that battery into the fuse? does it fit well with the wing attached?

CMP 50 sized warbirds are notoriously heavy too; my 50 sized P51 is a brick. I wonder how this Spit compares. Does it seem super heavy?

The site suggests that it comes with retracts, is that correct? Or do you have to buy them separately?

Man I want to get one, I wish someone had it built and could report on how well it flies.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Nov 27, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:11 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
...Have you tried fitting that battery into the fuse? does it fit well with the wing attached?

I have a few days off. If I have a chance I'll try to get an answer for you on this.

CMP 50 sized warbirds are notoriously heavy too; my 50 sized P51 is a brick. I wonder how this Spit compares. Does it seem super heavy?

If I get a chance I'll weigh it empty.

The site suggests that it comes with retracts, is that correct? Or do you have to buy them separately?

The retracts are included and premounted.

Man I want to get one, I wish someone had it built and could report on how well it flies.

It's on sale now for $99!! I'm tempted to get another as a spare just because it's so beautiful.
My answers are in the body of your post.

Mike
RCG Plus Member