SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 04:44 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Yes please add an extra flight to the comp style task's. Finaly some one else asking for MORE flight's!

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2009, 08:08 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I think you've misunderstood. There are two rounds each for 7 minute and 10 minute contest style flights. Each of the four tasks consists of three flights. Total flights for 7 minute task set is 6 flights. Two sets of three flights. Same for 10 minute rounds. This will all be spelled out in the rules along with the flight windows for launching.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Nov 07, 2009, 08:56 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Yup, if your not sure, Read the TASK Discription! A brain fart on my part for sure.

Question: on the 100 inch landing tape, if you over shoot the 0 inch mark,by 1 inch or more the landing is void? All the other landing task's are to be within a set distance 3m,1.5m,1m,etc regardless of what direction the nose is to the center mark.
Not a big issue, just hate to fail the landing's cuz I was doing them wrong.

Let's get silver ver.6 locked down and work on gold. As the level's are to be reviewed at the 1 year mark ,we can tweek them at that time.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Nov 07, 2009, 09:12 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Just went back and read ver. 6 and it says 2 flight's where it is suppost to say round's. A typo error for sure

Ken
SSP#6
Old Nov 08, 2009, 07:13 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I will change it to rounds as it makes for less confusion. I'll do my best to get the rules done for the contest style so we can get Silver re-posted. As for landings. The landing is measured from the 100" point. The tapes usually have a grommet there so the tape swivels around the 100" mark. So to answer your question, no it wouldn't be a zero as the numbers actually represent a circle around the 100" point not a line to it. You pull the tape to the nose of the aircaft and then read the distance.
Old Nov 08, 2009, 11:52 AM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
741 Posts
Another benefit of the program

I am pleased to see the give-and-take that is developing the Sprotsman's Program. I'd like to point out another benefit of the program. As many of the program's tasks required timed flights, there is an opportunity for participants to learn two more valuable soaring skills: using a person as a timer( a good timer is more than a talking stopwatch) and being a timer for another pilot (there's more to timing than punching a watch). Check out this forum & Thermal for discussions on the fine points of timing. Keep up the good work.
Jim Deck is online now Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Nov 08, 2009, 05:15 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
It also can act as a low pressure intro to soaring to someone that is not into RC. Anyone can run a stop watch and hold a tape measure. By assisting you on 5-10 minute flight's,they can catch the bug as well.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Nov 08, 2009, 09:37 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
565 Posts
Launch window?

Steve,

Unless I missed it, I still don't see an answer to my question below. Unless some launch window parameters are given, the contest style tasks will be nothing more than ladders with all flights the same. I can just keep doing 7 or 10-minute flights until my points on my best flights meet the minimum. Even if launch windows aren't timed, we should at least specify that the flights be consecutive and on the same day.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2motheus View Post
Have we abandoned the idea of having some control of the launch window? I just looked at version 4 and don't see anything to keep someone from scouting for good air before doing the official flights for the contest tasks.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Nov 08, 2009, 10:27 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Good point Tim. Would a 30 minute +- 2 minute's delay between flights be enuff?

Ken
SSP #6
Old Nov 09, 2009, 06:43 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Sorry I haven't been on much the past few days guys. The weather has improved a bit and so getting ready for winter has been the priority. Things should calm down a bit after today and I can get everything written up for Silver Level.
Quote:
Steve,
Unless I missed it, I still don't see an answer to my question below. Unless some launch window parameters are given, the contest style tasks will be nothing more than ladders with all flights the same. I can just keep doing 7 or 10-minute flights until my points on my best flights meet the minimum. Even if launch windows aren't timed, we should at least specify that the flights be consecutive and on the same day.
Tim
Tim, 30 minutes was suggested earlier. The reasoning was to simulate waiting your turn between flight groups at a contest. A +/- "x" minutes to keep people from sandbagging is a good idea. The contest guys can give us the "usual launch window" I'm sure. Joe should even know since he does contests as well. And we will specify that the flights be consecutive and on the same day.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 07:04 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
565 Posts
That sounds great, Steve. I don't think the specifics of the launch timing rules are important, as long as there are some parameters. I was just concerned that with the effort to finalize the next stage this would be overlooked. I didn't see anything in the proposed Silver list nor in the Task Requirements. In fact, I didn't see anything in the Task Requirements referring to the contest format flights.

Keep up the good work!

Tim
Old Nov 09, 2009, 07:52 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
Joe should even know since he does contests as well. And we will specify that the flights be consecutive and on the same day.
The 30 minutes is a good average. The actual time depends on the number of contestants and the CD. Not everybody gets their contest run by the great bunch of volanteers that the NATS has.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:05 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
That sounds great, Steve. I don't think the specifics of the launch timing rules are important, as long as there are some parameters. I was just concerned that with the effort to finalize the next stage this would be overlooked. I didn't see anything in the proposed Silver list nor in the Task Requirements. In fact, I didn't see anything in the Task Requirements referring to the contest format flights.

Keep up the good work!

Tim
That's because we're just adding this style to the program.
So ver 6 it is. Contest style will have 2 rounds of three flights each round, 1 point per second, -1 point for every second over the time, 100 points possible for landing (1 point per inch) and anything over 100" is "out" (no points), flight window is 30 minutes between flights +/- 2 minutes, all flights to be completed on the same day.
Everything is on the web page now. See Silver Level and section 26 for the rules. Please check it out and let me know if I missed anything.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Nov 10, 2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:48 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
565 Posts
Steve,

Section 26 looks good, but I have a question.

By this:
"There is a flight window requiring 30 minutes between flights +/- 2 minutes"

Do you mean between flight start times? If it's not important, I would rather have flights START 30 minutes apart rather than measuring time between landing and the next launch. The way it's worded now leaves it open to interpretation.

Yes - sorry - I'm an engineer.

Tim
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:33 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
What's every one think? 30 minutes from launch time or landing time? Makes me no difference. I see good and bad in both ways. Let me know so I can get it nailed down. It's time to get on to Gold Level.