HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2014, 04:52 AM
Clyde Crashcopter
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2013
651 Posts
Discussion
Gaui X3 Circuit Board Frame.

Interesting design concept that I found while skimming the internets.

Apparently Gaui has designed a PCB frame with built in traces for ESC, gyro and servo wiring.

While it seems like a pretty cool idea, and very convenient. I personally question the cost of such a frame design if involved in a crash. I also have reservations about continuity issues, traces lifting due to vibration, and worst of all short circuits.

The exposed solder connections for the pins on the outside of the frame panels leaves a little to be desired for safety reasons. Sure this is most likely a prototype mock-up, and most certainly will have changes made (we can at least hope). However, It still worries me. I am tempted to look into one when/if they become available, just to see how well implemented the design actually is.

I've only found some grainy pictures that are kind of small, and they are dated June 20th-June 24.

http://www.rctech.com.tw/news/product/5206-rctech.html

http://blog.flying-hobby.com/rc-news...-circuit-frame

Powerdyne is offline Find More Posts by Powerdyne
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2014, 09:58 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2013
152 Posts
An actual cool idea. I wouldn't want to try running high current through it like a motor though. If they use multiple layers like a pcb design, they could hide the traces in between two layers. That would help with some of your concerns with the design.
SysCrusher is online now Find More Posts by SysCrusher
Old Jun 28, 2014, 05:39 PM
Clyde Crashcopter
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2013
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysCrusher View Post
An actual cool idea. I wouldn't want to try running high current through it like a motor though. If they use multiple layers like a pcb design, they could hide the traces in between two layers. That would help with some of your concerns with the design.
Agreed. Though as I said, those photos probably are not the main production model spec. Seeing this idea implemented is very cool though, and I could see where it might be viable on a larger sized helicopter too, especially when dealing with longer extension runs and wiring.

I seriously might pull the trigger on one when they hit production, just to toy around with it.
Powerdyne is offline Find More Posts by Powerdyne
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2014, 03:02 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,794 Posts
It doesn't make sense for a v/kbar, because you can't get to the programming connectors. On a beastx you wouldn't be able to see the leds. Good idea for the bec, though.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jul 04, 2014, 08:07 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,664 Posts
Frame would be made from G10, carbon is a conductor .
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2012
345 Posts
A really cool idea but kind of pointless.. Wiring is normally hidden when done carefully so this would not be required. Also it makes non standard setups even more annoying than they already are to build.
jolyboy is online now Find More Posts by jolyboy