HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 24, 2014, 08:41 AM
Registered User
Pass1's Avatar
Saudi Arabia, Makkah Province, Thuwal
Joined Aug 2012
242 Posts
Yippee!
Thank you! Look who just tried out my Fatsharks!

Hi guys!

I made my first post back in Aug 18, 2012 11:24 PM... no replies... maybe it was too long... who cares. You guys on rc groups have helped me in so many ways in these 2 years... I learned from other people's mistakes, I've made my own...

The point is, that this turned from a hobby into science for me... I still work full time on my PhD (which is completely unrelated to UAVs) but at nights and weekends I build/fly multirotors and planes for research at my University. Thanks to one of these projects today I was able to meet one of my heros... because wether you like Microsoft or not (and I am writing from a mac now), he has shaped our world.

Today, I had a chance to spend maybe 3-4 minutes explaining to Bill Gates how we use UAVs to do great research at my University... and I was able to get him to have a sneaky view through my FPV goggles.

Thank you so much for all your help guys, I feel like this is a shared success story with our community.

The images below are screen grabs from a gopro.

Pass1 is online now Find More Posts by Pass1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:03 AM
Wandering IT geek
ronin4740's Avatar
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,933 Posts
Cool stuff!
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:09 AM
The Fixer
Martin Y's Avatar
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,654 Posts
Bill who?..

Very cool.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:31 PM
Certified Power Juicer
Jack_LaLanne's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
811 Posts
Cool how come he was visiting your institute?
Jack_LaLanne is offline Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Glider DIY FPV canopy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:42 PM
Registered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2007
99 Posts
The FAA will not be very happy with Bill.
BasTijs is offline Find More Posts by BasTijs
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 07:04 PM
The Fixer
Martin Y's Avatar
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasTijs View Post
The FAA will not be very happy with Bill.
That's who we need to tell the FAA to sod off. And I think they will listen.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 07:53 PM
flying ninja!
ican3d's Avatar
Joined Jun 2011
851 Posts
Once Billy start FPV, the future will be brighter for us,
ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 09:41 PM
Registered User
Canada, BC, Sicamous
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
Probably not the direction he was hoping for his thread, but either way my side hurts from laughing Sick 'em, Bill!
CrashHard is offline Find More Posts by CrashHard
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:36 AM
Registered User
Pass1's Avatar
Saudi Arabia, Makkah Province, Thuwal
Joined Aug 2012
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_LaLanne View Post
Cool how come he was visiting your institute?
We might have some research that aligns with his philanthropic activities.

If you would like to know more, here is the official story from my University... I'm on the right of the cover photo. My expression says it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHard View Post
Probably not the direction he was hoping for his thread, but either way my side hurts from laughing Sick 'em, Bill!
I was laughing too at the comments!

I wanted to take him for a little FPV flight... but his schedule was incredibly packed and only visited the university for a few hours before he went on to meet the King (as far as I know).
Pass1 is online now Find More Posts by Pass1
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:04 AM
Certified Power Juicer
Jack_LaLanne's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass1 View Post
We might have some research that aligns with his philanthropic activities.

If you would like to know more, here is the official story from my University... I'm on the right of the cover photo. My expression says it all!



I was laughing too at the comments!

I wanted to take him for a little FPV flight... but his schedule was incredibly packed and only visited the university for a few hours before he went on to meet the King (as far as I know).
Crop science right that's also what 3DRobitics is all about. Seems to have emerged into an important market for rc / autonomous model flight.
Oh and I wouldn't take it personal that Billy couldn't accept your offer. Maybe it was also related to the fact that those guys were wearing suits ^^ You work in a desert there, don't you
Jack_LaLanne is offline Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Glider DIY FPV canopy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2014, 07:03 AM
Registered User
Pass1's Avatar
Saudi Arabia, Makkah Province, Thuwal
Joined Aug 2012
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_LaLanne View Post
Crop science right that's also what 3DRobitics is all about. Seems to have emerged into an important market for rc / autonomous model flight.
Oh and I wouldn't take it personal that Billy couldn't accept your offer. Maybe it was also related to the fact that those guys were wearing suits ^^ You work in a desert there, don't you
Yeah! Well, I'm actually a computer scientist (my MSc is in high performance computing) turned earth scientist (currently my PhD is related to earthquakes) and doing the rc hobby for work.

One of the professors asked me to build them some copters to carry a bunch of equipment... And I(and my company) am more than happy to help them!

Btw... I have a personal hate towards 3DR, one of my pixhawk fried for no apparent reason and it took me two and a half days to get the minimosd working... Only to find out that the latest version of arduplane had a bug that stopped the telemetry from working. I'm sure it will pass...
Pass1 is online now Find More Posts by Pass1
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2014, 02:32 PM
Certified Power Juicer
Jack_LaLanne's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass1 View Post
Yeah! Well, I'm actually a computer scientist (my MSc is in high performance computing) turned earth scientist (currently my PhD is related to earthquakes) and doing the rc hobby for work.

One of the professors asked me to build them some copters to carry a bunch of equipment... And I(and my company) am more than happy to help them!

Btw... I have a personal hate towards 3DR, one of my pixhawk fried for no apparent reason and it took me two and a half days to get the minimosd working... Only to find out that the latest version of arduplane had a bug that stopped the telemetry from working. I'm sure it will pass...
Cool, sounds interesting. I have some buddies studying Geology whom I tried to convince that they want at least a small camera equipped multirotor ^^ but they don't listen!!
Regarding the arduplane software: Despite its usage by 3DRobotics, it remains a community driven project. So I am certain you are welcome at diydrones to crash test release candidates before final versions are uploaded
Jack_LaLanne is offline Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Glider DIY FPV canopy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 06:04 AM
Registered User
Pass1's Avatar
Saudi Arabia, Makkah Province, Thuwal
Joined Aug 2012
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_LaLanne View Post
Cool, sounds interesting. I have some buddies studying Geology whom I tried to convince that they want at least a small camera equipped multirotor ^^ but they don't listen!!
Regarding the arduplane software: Despite its usage by 3DRobotics, it remains a community driven project. So I am certain you are welcome at diydrones to crash test release candidates before final versions are uploaded
Well, although the software might be free the 200$ Pixhawk that fried itself isn't!
Pass1 is online now Find More Posts by Pass1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:06 PM
Unemployed mattress tester
Qwin's Avatar
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined May 2011
553 Posts
cool stuff.... Good ambassadorship for the hobby
Qwin is offline Find More Posts by Qwin
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Looking for some help trying to figure out what this is Dietr777 Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 5 Mar 16, 2014 07:01 PM
Discussion trying to figure out my skill level jnich Mini Multirotors 22 Feb 10, 2014 11:59 AM
Wanted I am a kid trying to get in the hobby. PLEASE HELP THANKS! quad12345 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 4 Oct 06, 2013 01:21 AM
Discussion Just a note. Trying to help a family who lost.. cdxrd Life, The Universe, and Politics 0 Jul 07, 2006 11:03 PM