343 Posts
Help!
[NOOB] How would you repair this dent?

Here it is my first damage:
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1399273208338.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 31.4 KB
Description:
So just to be sure what's decent way to repair this in a sane way?
eaman is offline Find More Posts by eaman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 02:42 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,437 Posts
One way would be to roughly shape a scrap of polystyrene packaging to fit in the gap, then force it into the gap so it's a tight fit all round, and use foam-safe cyano to glue it. Then use a sharp scalpel or hobby knife to carve it smooth.

Another way is to mix up some 2-part expoxy into a paste with micro-balloons, and use it to fill the gap. Use a bit of sticky tape across the underside to hold the epoxy paste in place while it sets.

I thought at first to simply stick some while electric tape (or similar) across the gap top and bottom, but the sharp corner of that gap is a weak point which could develop into a crack right across the wing root
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 05, 2014, 06:41 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,425 Posts
If you are not overly concerned with appearance, I would simply use clear packing tape. Center it at the edge and wrap it top and bottom. I prefer the clear packing tape sold by USPS, which is a slightly thicker gauge than what is available at home centers and chain drug stores.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old May 05, 2014, 06:52 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
...the sharp corner of that gap is a weak point which could develop into a crack right across the wing root
That would be true if the wing was made of metal. But does foam behave the same way? I honestly don't know and would appriciate any feedback from an expert.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old May 05, 2014, 07:03 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
Cut it out square. Cut a piece of foam that's thicker and just fits the square cutout. Hotglue the piece in then carve the thickness to match the rest of the wing. . I get a lot of this flying combat.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 05, 2014, 07:03 AM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
180 Posts
Cut the edges straight, scarf a piece of foam into the gap with white Gorilla glue, using blue paint masking tape to control the expanding foam. You'll be surprised at how little touch up there will be as long as you don't go ape with the glue. (sorry about the pun).
iwlf is offline Find More Posts by iwlf
Old May 05, 2014, 12:16 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,433 Posts
Put a piece of white self-adhesive ultracote trim over the top, fold around the trailing edge, cover the bottom. Fly.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old May 05, 2014, 02:30 PM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Modena
Joined Nov 2013
343 Posts
OK thanks all, you gave me a lot of suggestions.
The option I like more is cut straight, put a new compatible foam in the hole, CA it and maybe a piece of wing tape to be sure.

I like the idea of hot glue bit I guess it would be heavy, still so close to the CG it may work.

Thanks again!
Old May 05, 2014, 04:30 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo l View Post
if you are not overly concerned with appearance, i would simply use clear packing tape. Center it at the edge and wrap it top and bottom.
+1.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old May 06, 2014, 02:50 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwlf View Post
Cut the edges straight, scarf a piece of foam into the gap with white Gorilla glue, using blue paint masking tape to control the expanding foam. You'll be surprised at how little touch up there will be as long as you don't go ape with the glue. (sorry about the pun).
This works like a charm for gap fills...
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old May 06, 2014, 05:24 AM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Modena
Joined Nov 2013
343 Posts
Eventually that's how it came out:Name: uploadfromtaptalk1399371737698.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 16.3 KB
Description:
Clean cut, peace of random foam, some CA, a little sanding.
I put on the edge a small piece 1x2mm of carbon so maybe the propeller won't bite it next time.

Thanks again
Old May 06, 2014, 07:39 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,247 Posts
Looks pretty good. Nice work.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old May 06, 2014, 08:14 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
If you are not overly concerned with appearance, I would simply use clear packing tape. Center it at the edge and wrap it top and bottom. I prefer the clear packing tape sold by USPS, which is a slightly thicker gauge than what is available at home centers and chain drug stores.
I'd perform this for a field fix to keep me flying that day, but ultimately I'd perform the a fore mentioned replacing with a fresh cut piece of styrene.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 06, 2014, 08:48 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwlf View Post
That's the one .... Why ?

it uses PU glue .. which is a close cousin of the foam.

a) It is light.
b) It fills the cracks and any gap / ding in the joint
c) You can sand, cut, paint same as the foam
d) Did I say it's light ?

Honestly forget all the tape .. CA ... Epoxy ... and other ways - get down to local DIY store ......... get yourself a bottle of PU Wood Glue ... it's same stuff as Gorilla Glue but a bigger bottle at 1/3rd the price.

The CA's .. Epoxies .. Hot Glues etc. are all hard to shape and sand ...
The PU fills, and literally becomes part of the model .. you can use it on its own to fill dings, cuts, cracks, nicks .. just be aware that it expands and you need too make sure it does not distort or misalign an article... it's a good idea to allow it an escape hole .. so YOU control where the excess appears ...

Here's a wing I did not so long ago .. much more serious than yours, the centre piece is filling in where I ripped out the original single motor mount beam etc. :

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old May 07, 2014, 03:01 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,000 Posts
Good repair eaman.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K