HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:31 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,463 Posts
Discussion
P-38 Roll Call

I love warbirds. Have a bunch of them, some on the rack, some in boxes on the shelf, some on the bench, some on the floor. I have models of most of the major warbirds, but there's a hole in the fleet.

P-38. Don't have one. Yet. Have been reading and drooling forever, figured I'd throw up a thread doing compare and contrast on the various birds out there, I know a little bit about some of them but not enough. I'd love to gather as much info about the strengths and weaknesses in one place (scale detail, retract strength, build quality, adequacy of power and electronics) to have a resource to help me and others figure which ones to aim for.

Flyzone Micro - 21" wingspan, small fixed gear. Won't be avail from Tower until June.

GWS 47.2" ws from BP Hobbies or Caliber Hobbies. Pricy for what they are (EPS unless they've updated).

Art tech 800mm ws, from nitroplanes $149 for RTF
Art tech 1200mm , from nitroplanes $229 for RTF
Very little thread activity and review on these birds that I've been able to find on RCG, Art tech's reputation as far as quality is mixed. They used to have a small brushed version called the Tangerine which you could find other places.

Skyangel just released a small (1000mm ) P-38, available as PNP from Hobbyb for $154.50. Some early reviews on it on the main skyangel thread but minimal data, there were fears it might not get released at all.

FMS P-38, V2 has just become available I believe, primarily available from MotionRC ($289.99 PNP) and Banana (289.99 ARF) in the US. 55" wingspan, retracts, non-detachable wing. BH is sold out (shocker)

Airwing is Nitro's house brand I believe, I don't know what the underlying manufacturer is, but they offer a 1600mm (63") P-38 for $339 for a PNP level plane. Quality is a concern, the only review I found on RCG was someone who found so many issues he returned it to NP. To their credit they gave him a refund, which should be recognized.

The J-power P-38 came in a V1 and V2, was sold by HK, BH and other places, including killerplanes.com and toysonics, all of which appear to be out of stock and discontinued. Rumor is that the X-UAV version is the same plane but I have no confirmation. Have seen it listed at 55.1" and 58" wingspan. Well regarded as V2 from what I read, very flimsy retracts, good belly lander.

Richmodel makes a 51.5" P-38 as an ARF, available from General Hobby. Balsa bird with fixed gear, know very little about it.

The Eflite P-38 is cherished by the pilots who own it, it's discontinued and fragile and requires a number of strengthening mods right out of the box but owners love it.

EMI, Raidentech and Phase 3 have previously had or sold P-38s but other than threads here I have almost no information on them.

Great Planes used to sell a profile P-38 that was apparently pretty nice.

I've considered buying Jim Ryan's P-38 plans and converting them to foam build at times.

Going huge, Yellow Aircraft makes a beautiful giant scale P-38, there are others but well beyond my budget or abilities thus far.

Additional data, planes I forgot about? I've heard rumor of another major manufacturers bringing a P-38 to market soon but just a rumor.

I always debate about jumping on a P-38 that's scarce, like a J-Power, or wait for something better to come along, not knowing when that will be.

Anyone got additional data points or pros and cons analysis of the Lightning choices?
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:47 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
I love warbirds. Have a bunch of them, some on the rack, some in boxes on the shelf, some on the bench, some on the floor. I have models of most of the major warbirds, but there's a hole in the fleet.

P-38. Don't have one. Yet. Have been reading and drooling forever, figured I'd throw up a thread doing compare and contrast on the various birds out there, I know a little bit about some of them but not enough. I'd love to gather as much info about the strengths and weaknesses in one place (scale detail, retract strength, build quality, adequacy of power and electronics) to have a resource to help me and others figure which ones to aim for.

Flyzone Micro - 21" wingspan, small fixed gear. Won't be avail from Tower until June.

GWS 47.2" ws from BP Hobbies or Caliber Hobbies. Pricy for what they are (EPS unless they've updated).

Art tech 800mm ws, from nitroplanes $149 for RTF
Art tech 1200mm , from nitroplanes $229 for RTF
Very little thread activity and review on these birds that I've been able to find on RCG, Art tech's reputation as far as quality is mixed. They used to have a small brushed version called the Tangerine which you could find other places.

Skyangel just released a small (1000mm ) P-38, available as PNP from Hobbyb for $154.50. Some early reviews on it on the main skyangel thread but minimal data, there were fears it might not get released at all.

FMS P-38, V2 has just become available I believe, primarily available from MotionRC ($289.99 PNP) and Banana (289.99 ARF) in the US. 55" wingspan, retracts, non-detachable wing. BH is sold out (shocker)

Airwing is Nitro's house brand I believe, I don't know what the underlying manufacturer is, but they offer a 1600mm (63") P-38 for $339 for a PNP level plane. Quality is a concern, the only review I found on RCG was someone who found so many issues he returned it to NP. To their credit they gave him a refund, which should be recognized.

The J-power P-38 came in a V1 and V2, was sold by HK, BH and other places, including killerplanes.com and toysonics, all of which appear to be out of stock and discontinued. Rumor is that the X-UAV version is the same plane but I have no confirmation. Have seen it listed at 55.1" and 58" wingspan. Well regarded as V2 from what I read, very flimsy retracts, good belly lander.

Richmodel makes a 51.5" P-38 as an ARF, available from General Hobby. Balsa bird with fixed gear, know very little about it.

The Eflite P-38 is cherished by the pilots who own it, it's discontinued and fragile and requires a number of strengthening mods right out of the box but owners love it.

EMI, Raidentech and Phase 3 have previously had or sold P-38s but other than threads here I have almost no information on them.

Great Planes used to sell a profile P-38 that was apparently pretty nice.

I've considered buying Jim Ryan's P-38 plans and converting them to foam build at times.

Going huge, Yellow Aircraft makes a beautiful giant scale P-38, there are others but well beyond my budget or abilities thus far.

Additional data, planes I forgot about? I've heard rumor of another major manufacturers bringing a P-38 to market soon but just a rumor.

I always debate about jumping on a P-38 that's scarce, like a J-Power, or wait for something better to come along, not knowing when that will be.

Anyone got additional data points or pros and cons analysis of the Lightning choices?
Boy do I feel your pain! I thought our prayers were answered when FMS came out with their 1400mm version.But there are a few issues.And quite frankly,I have been put off by the non scale dinky wheels.What is the deal! Almost all the warbirds produced in this size category,have small,non scale wheels,while the 1700mm ones come much closer to the real thing.I DON'T GET IT!! Take the FMS B-25.Great looking airframe!BUT...ridiculous landing gear and doors!I would have purchased one,but the thought of having to redesign and build a sale landing gear has kept me from buying it.This is a major issue for me.Now to the P-38.I do also like the Art Tech 1200mm version.I would have bought one,even with the limited feedback,but I see Nitro is out of stock.They almost had me with the Airwing one,but quality issues and price, prevent me from that one.I do have two EMI/Phase 3 P-38's.I fly them without gear,but in the air wow,do they look the part! The only negatives,would be availability,and the foam is rather prone to hangar rash.For now,it's the best for me though.I hear FMS will be doing a new version of their P-38.I am waiting on that.If they get the landing gear more scale,I will buy more than one for sure!
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old May 01, 2013, 12:13 PM
Joined Jun 2010
111 Posts
General Hobbies has the 1400mm p38 from xuav in stock $149 for pnp. I just ordered one so I'll know in a couple days.

FWIW check out the photos from banana hobbies jpower model
http://www.bananahobby.com/6-ch-j-po...8879#navImages

And the Xuav site
http://www.x-uav.cn/product_view.asp?id=14

The shot are identical except for the logo. Not same model- same photo. Crops look the same so nobody cut off the old logo. So they have the same photo source at least.

Here's the most detailed breakdown of the xuav kit I could find
http://www.rcskyliner.com/plane_motor_P38.html
geekybiker is offline Find More Posts by geekybiker
Old May 01, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
We think a lot alike!
I started this "roll call" thread a couple years ago...I covered a couple of options that you didn't list but it's also outdated...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=p+38
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old May 01, 2013, 02:00 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,463 Posts
Yeah I recalled seeing something like your thread previously but couldn't find it when I went looking, and the landscape has changed a bit.

Best listing I've ever found for P-38 manufacturers is here though it's not as up to date.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old May 02, 2013, 05:28 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekybiker View Post
General Hobbies has the 1400mm p38 from xuav in stock $149 for pnp. I just ordered one so I'll know in a couple days.

FWIW check out the photos from banana hobbies jpower model
http://www.bananahobby.com/6-ch-j-po...8879#navImages

And the Xuav site
http://www.x-uav.cn/product_view.asp?id=14

The shot are identical except for the logo. Not same model- same photo. Crops look the same so nobody cut off the old logo. So they have the same photo source at least.

Here's the most detailed breakdown of the xuav kit I could find
http://www.rcskyliner.com/plane_motor_P38.html
Interesting. I was not aware of the x-uav P-38 til I saw your post.

Why is it only an inch or two smaller than the BH one, yet it's 22 ozs lighter? Apparently they are both made of EPO foam, and same size power system so not sure why the massive difference in weight.

From the looks of the footage, the x-uav model does fly nice and slow like it really is 28 ozs. I wonder why they're not very popular in this forum.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Oct 20, 2013, 08:49 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
471 Posts
Well, I am not much of a scale collector. I am not really into war birds either....

I bought this as a sport Twin... One that isn't made of fluff. I like Foam, for beaters.

Nothing quite like Balsa

I really wanted an OV-10 ... and I looked at a bunch of Cessna Twins... I really like the Wild Deuces 25e. All of the planes I looked at were either foam PNF, Too expensive, too big or just unavailable.

This 52" Balsa twin is exactly what I want, and at $69 + $40 Shipping... I'm in.
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Sep 2012
278 Posts
Here is one sitting in my bay window at the moment before being hung up for the winter months. It's nitro but it's a P-38 Lightning and we all like to look at them. It is from Col. Art Johnson plans and is modeled after Maj. Thomas B. McGuire's Pudgy V. It sports twin .61 HB engines along with full retracts, flaps, drop tanks, etc. It has been flying every year since the early 80's. Another is currently being built in the shop and is tentatively going to be named "JEWBOY".

JudahBenHur is offline Find More Posts by JudahBenHur
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:46 AM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
813 Posts
Subscribed.

The P-38 is my absolute favorite WWII warbird. Been looking at all of them for some time. I was going to get the FMS 1450mm from Nitro, but they are now out of stock on both paint schemes. Maybe (hopefully) there is an updated version of it on the way.

That Sky Angel 1000mm Lightning would be perfect for my hangar, but it's out of stock as well. Sure hope we see some more of the Forked Tail Devil coming out soon...
FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:30 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
1,680 Posts
Thanks, now you've got me wanting a p-38 (and the boss will probably kill me since I just got a mustang and have no idea where I'll store everything).
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:16 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,933 Posts
You forgot this one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332047
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Dec 23, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Nov 2007
233 Posts
SkyAngel 1000mm P-38: http://www.hobbyb.com/skyangel-mini-...pnp-p-440.html
flyingcircuits is offline Find More Posts by flyingcircuits
Old Dec 23, 2013, 03:00 PM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,870 Posts
I have a big KMP P38. She about 10 years old, and I am the only one to finish her and fly it twice. She's currently in the Mx hangar receiving a YIPIEE paint job
fnlrun is online now Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Dec 23, 2013, 03:47 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcircuits View Post
Man, I wish I could get my hands on one of these! Perfect size, and 6-channel. Too bad they are sold out...
FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Dec 24, 2013, 08:53 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
I've had a Ryan P-38 for many years now - it was built from one of Jim's original kits and powered with Speed 400 motors and 16 Nicad cells. I upgraded it to brushless and Lipo about 8 years ago and have to say that it's one of my all-time favourite flying models. A couple of weeks ago, I launched it with a bad battery pack and, unknown to me, one of the motors cut on initial climbout. I did kinda wonder why it lacked its usual power, but I managed two whole circuits on one motor before I felt I ought to land it. Build one, you won't regret it!
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling