HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
Question
Ailerons and flaps on 6 channels

Hi.

I'll be getting my new plane soon and I will be using a AR6210 Reciever.

I am fairly certain that the the servos on both wings are pointing toward the fuselage or the tips. So using a Y harness for the ailerons is good but for the flaps one of the servos will move in the opposite direction.

My question is, what would be the best way to solve this? I remember reading somewhere that someone did not recommend to use a reversing y harness, do you know why?
I don't really want to remove the servo (It's an RR model) and cut out a new hole to put it on the other side. But I guess it is the cheapest and best way..

It's not possible to use the Aux and Gear channel for the flap servos right? I'm not sure what the Gear channel is used for.

Thank you in advance!
kjur is offline Find More Posts by kjur
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
ailerons should be facing the wing tips, flaps should be facing the same direction. I take it you haven't got the plane? Just wait then to be certain
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
I found some pictures and the aileron servos are facing the tips and the flaps are facing the tips as well.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,492 Posts
It dosn't matter which way the aileron servo arms are facing (either to the wing tips or to the fuslage) as long as they both face out or both face in.

You should be able to use the spare channels for your flaps.

As, erkc641 has said. Wait until you get the plane.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
It dosn't matter which way the aileron servo arms are facing (either to the wing tips or to the fuslage) as long as they both face out or both face in.

You should be able to use the spare channels for your flaps.

As, erkc641 has said. Wait until you get the plane.
Okay, well I am 99% sure now that both the aileron servos and the flap servos are facing the wing tips. So I should be able to use "Gear" And "AUX1" for the flaps?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
I recieved the plane today and the aileron and flap servos are facing the wing tips as I thought.
Before I buy a reverser I want to make sure that I can't use the fifth "Gear" channel for one of the servos and Aux for the other?
Could I program my DX6i so that the Gear channel reverse one of the servos? I don't understand how this works I'm afraid.. Would someone please explain?

Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,492 Posts
Before you buy anything check to make sure the servos are not opposite travel from the manufacturer. You didn't say what plane you have so no one knows.

I would hook the flap servos to a standard Y harnes and make sure of their direction. If that proves to be wrong then you can just get a reversing Y or try connecting the servos to the gear and aux 1 channels.

If you connect them into two seperate channels you will need to refer to your TX manual to find out how they need to be programmed.

If someone has a DX6i maybe they can chime in and advise you.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
I don't have an answer, but I want to go along for the ride on this topic.

I have the same transmitter and have wanted to do flaps as well. My problem is I don't have a plane with dedicated flaps - in other words, I want to use the ailerons as flaps and still retain the aileron function. Flaperons?

If I had separate flaps with dedicated servos then I think it would be fairly simple to set things up. My current configuration is a Y harness with both aileron servers plugged into the "ail" port on the receiver. Does that match your situation? What I can't figure out is if I need to run one of the aileron servers to the aux port then do some fancy mixing and re-routing in the transmitter to still maintain aileron function but introduce matching flap action when that switch is flipped.

There are a few videos on Youtube that come pretty close to answering my questions but I guess I'm a little too thick to catch on.
bloviationator is offline Find More Posts by bloviationator
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloviationator View Post
I have the same transmitter and have wanted to do flaps as well. My problem is I don't have a plane with dedicated flaps - in other words, I want to use the ailerons as flaps and still retain the aileron function. Flaperons?

If I had separate flaps with dedicated servos then I think it would be fairly simple to set things up. My current configuration is a Y harness with both aileron servers plugged into the "ail" port on the receiver. Does that match your situation? What I can't figure out is if I need to run one of the aileron servers to the aux port then do some fancy mixing and re-routing in the transmitter to still maintain aileron function but introduce matching flap action when that switch is flipped.

There are a few videos on Youtube that come pretty close to answering my questions but I guess I'm a little too thick to catch on.
I don't have a DX6i in front of me but basically for flaperons you select "Flaperon" as Wing Type. The left aileron goes in Aux 1 then IIRC the left aileron will be listed as the Flap Servo in the reversing and end point menus. The Flap Menu then lets you set the amount of deflection for either flaperons OR Spoilerons + for flaps - for spoilerons, there will be a mix for elevator in the same menu.

Can't help with dedicated flap servos. Spektrum does not recommend using reversing Y's but I have one in my FunCub, some of the servos twitch but that may have nothing to do with the Y, I bought it used. On another plane I opened up one servo and reversed it but that involves soldering.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloviationator View Post

Yes you will need to have one in to the aileron and one in to the aux channel. Then mix them but just be sure not to overdrive the aileron portion when the flaps are activated.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:30 AM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
510 Posts
Simply hook your ailerons into the Y and plug into your rx, that covers your ailerons. As for flaps you an cut out the pocket and flip the servo like you said (not the best choice due to cutting up your new plane) and connect both flap servos to Y and plug in to rx. The best option is to reverse your servo if you have the know how to re solder the internal wiring of servo. It's extremely easy and there are tutorials on YouTube that will show you how. You just swap the two wires that go to servo motor and where the 3 wires come into servo you swap the outside two leaving the middle in place and there you have it reversed servo no cutting or repositioning the servo. No special mixing or anything.
Watts cooking is offline Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
I don't have a DX6i in front of me but basically for flaperons you select "Flaperon" as Wing Type. The left aileron goes in Aux 1 then IIRC the left aileron will be listed as the Flap Servo in the reversing and end point menus. The Flap Menu then lets you set the amount of deflection for either flaperons OR Spoilerons + for flaps - for spoilerons, there will be a mix for elevator in the same menu.

Can't help with dedicated flap servos. Spektrum does not recommend using reversing Y's but I have one in my FunCub, some of the servos twitch but that may have nothing to do with the Y, I bought it used. On another plane I opened up one servo and reversed it but that involves soldering.
For the dx6i, it is the dual aileron wing type
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:51 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,135 Posts
^ Yes, it's under the Wing Tail Mix menu, that is what I couldn't remember.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob