HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:13 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Hi all, in my feeble attempt to keep the forum active, heres what little I managed to get done on Scorpion.

Rudder

Machined some new pins that will be epoxied into my rudder.

Soldered the new gudgeon hinge pieces. Shown temporarily fitted. once positioned and bonded, i will fill the area on both sides of the hinge to create the chamfer on the gudgeon/hinge piece.

Rudder/tiller range of motion test.

Chains

Preventer plates are positioned.

More tomorrow.
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:05 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,552 Posts
I wish we had a like button, so I could click it for an hour or two.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:52 PM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
funny........hmmmm usually a photo makes the model look smoother sharper and cleaner than it really is.....in this case i think the model is probably smoother sharper and cleaner than the photo......now where are those smileys......argh...i can't find the smileys! .....oh...
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Mar 16, 2014, 02:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Thanks Jerry. : )

Vic, it looks rough in real life too. LOL

Slowly, but surely.

Rudder gudgeons were glued in and I started adding the chamfer/fill on them(not shown in these photos). more on that soon.

Best

Tim
Old Mar 16, 2014, 04:33 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
Scorp continues to be an awesome build. Wow!, again.

On Syren, there is some sort of rudder box under the deck, and a collar on the rudder shaft to hold the rudder down in place. To remove the rudder, I have to remove the tiller, unscrew the brass rudder baseplate and pull the rudder down out of the hull.
If the rudder is free to move upward, then it can dismount itself.
I can't check Syren until end of March, and I really do forget the details. Sketch shows my memory of the concept of what's there.

On Scorpion, from what I see so far, I wonder what keeps the rudder from riding up and disengaging the pins?
Is there a rotational bearing at the top of the rudder (maybe not needed with the prototype hinge approach)?
A bolt thru the lower baseplate into the rudder would work, I guess. Maybe that's what is shown.
Anyway, the rudder assembly looks fantastic.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Mar 16, 2014, 05:03 PM
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Hi Dan

On the very last pin(bottom) which is not glued in yet, I was thinking of having a "c" clip. Deep grove in the pin so the clip is not super noticeable but still holds the rudder down. Bolt as you mention would work well too.

kind regards
Tim
Old Mar 17, 2014, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Copper plate dimensions?

Excuse my ignorance. Is there a standard size for the copper plates used on a ships hull during the early 1800s? Playing around with some ideas and tests to 'fakerize' them on painted copper and so far, happy with the results.

I ask the dimensions before really scouring references and internet for the answer. figured my friends here would have a quicker answer. : )

Thanks in advance.
Tim
Old Mar 17, 2014, 06:59 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
Should have known you had the rudder thing all figured out.

Plates question - from a modelshipworld post on coppering:

"On a full-size ship a single copper plate typically measured 14 x 48 (35.6 cm x 121.9 cm), especially on 19th century ships. Your ship may be different. You should do some research to make sure this is the size of the plates on your particular ship."
There is a specific pattern followed, too. Jerry probably has all the info at his fingertips.

Really anxious to see your painted plate approach.

Hey, if you haven't seen it, take a look at this site. Great looking blocks!
http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/about-us.php

Best,
Dan
Old Mar 17, 2014, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Thank you Dan

Knew I could count on you! : )

I will look at some more reference before committing but I tried it on a small piece and when held up to the hull, it looks pretty good. With weathering and coloration, I think it will be acceptable.

I just took a short trip to a local pond where I plan on getting Scorpion wet for the first time. I chuckled and thought of your comments Dan, Lots of rocks at the shore line and could easily see it getting banged up.....Doesn't bother me that much as it's to be expected with large scale Rc boats I guess but it made me chuckle, looking at the shoreline and thinking, "this will be interesting". ha ha Will post some photos of the pond when I get the pictures uploaded.

I've bought a lot of rope from the Syren web site and some blocks. Really happy with the rope. I'm going to try and do some whipping of rope ends if my eyes can handle it. LOL

Tim
Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Local pond

Not very scenic but should do for some testing. Wind was blowing out of the west this afternoon.

Panorama

ariel view

Although fairly large, there is good access all the way around. the two islands look like big magnets to me, ready to suck Scorpion into their grasp. LOL

Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Mar 17, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:43 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
No weeds! That's a huge plus! And a lot of fairly clear shoreline instead of a wall of trees that mess up the wind. Really looks good.
(Pics - Google Earth, or a drone?)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:52 AM
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Just a lot of ducks and geese. LOL

Bottom pic is from Apple maps.

Take care
Tim
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:19 AM
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Port side preventer plate mounting holes are drilled and side is painted. Gudgeons are filled and almost finished.

Tim
Old Mar 23, 2014, 04:46 PM
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Decided to goof around with something I wanted to try on the wales. Attempt an indication of the butt-planking. It's subtle enough that you don't really notice it(which I like) but was also thinking of doing some color variation some or all when I do the weathering. Well see.

Also starting to think about the stern again and it's paint/details but this will come later. Want to get the rudder rigged for steering and the motors mounted!!

Also, a question about the water line/copper top-line. Should I wait to get the boat in the water to see how it floats or go ahead and paint it on and balance the boat to sit level with it after its on?? Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. LOL

Tim
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
414 Posts
Using the chains I had already made, thought I'd try mounting them. these will be rebuilt but because i am the most impatient person on the planet, i had to see how it looked. : )

Tim