HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:33 PM
Registered Loon
Jeffreys Bay South Africa
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
if you use an airfoil on your winglets they will be alot more effective ;-)
Blackrat is online now Find More Posts by Blackrat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:46 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post
if you use an airfoil on your winglets they will be alot more effective ;-)
This is my background..... The 3% to 5% at most in efficiency on our birds do not warrant the extra time in cost for labor to produce and make work well. If we had pressure molded abilities that would be a game changer. I do agree with you 100% they would be better if done right but the current design does have some "tricks" in it found during the CFD.
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:00 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Foamaroo First Flights

I was able to fly the Foamaroo for the first time today despite some strong winds and threatening rain. All I can say is, I'M IMPRESSED!!!

The airframe came out to 2 lbs 11 oz with everything, including the 2200 MAh battery, installed. I had help handlaunching for the first flight (thanks Leadfeather!) and it only took a couple of clicks of trim to get it to fly level.

Concerning the winglets, I used Coroplast for three reasons:

1. It's light.
2. It's inexpensive.
3. You can easily make and replace your own if you break one.

I did some sliding landings on hard packed dirt today and there was no damage to the winglets.

The climb rate is very good at full power and it will cruise comfortably at 1/2 throttle. I did several stalls as well as loops and rolls and am happy to report that the plane is really fun to fly. We were all surprised by the roll rate. I wanted to set up exponential on my radio so I brought it around and set up on approach. I was able to do a zero roll out landing on the first attempt and the Foamaroo set down on the grass.

For the second flight I wanted to hand launch it myself so I grabbed it just forward of the wing, throttled up and threw it like a baseball. I was happily surprised that I didn't need to give ANY flight control as it flew up and away, wings level. I did a series of launches and landings and was able to get very comfortable with it. The winglets don't cause any problems on landing with some speed and the fuselage held up well with no damage.

My second series of flights was over 20 minutes on a 2200 MAh battery and I'm sure the battery had plenty more in it but I broke the prop when I did a hard landing to see how the airframe would handle it.

The video quality suffered some due to the cloudy skies we had today. We'll shoot more as soon as we get a flyable day with the sun shining.

First flights of the Foamaroo (3 min 3 sec)

A big thanks for Leadfeather for shooting and editing the video.

Here are some pictures of the first flight.

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Last edited by jtprouty; Apr 24, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:06 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Great news Jimmy!!
You think it would hand launch as easy with 5000+ mah onboard?

I really cant wait to get my hands on one
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:18 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks, Chance.

I think it would launch just fine with a 5000 MAh battery onboard. I'll try it soon with mine and let you know.

Jimmy
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:46 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Great news Jimmy!!
You think it would hand launch as easy with 5000+ mah onboard?

I really cant wait to get my hands on one
We hand launched it with 11000MAh on board! It will do it with the right throw.

Jimmy, might be a candidate for the skids you made up. That give a great throwing point.
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:41 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Maybe we can launch it inverted??
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:24 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,781 Posts
Well done Jimmy that looks great!
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:07 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,198 Posts
nice maiden, well done

can you show how the equipment is fitted inside? Do we slide a tray of gear into the fuselage or could we slice panels out of the top of the fuselage?

m.
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:05 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,007 Posts
Nicely done. heavy winds made hand launch and landings easier. Please to see the wing tips didn't suffer at all.
it looks you can play with a wide range of speeds .
the next challenge is to hand launch the plane with zero winds and a heavy battery inside + some gear.
I guess it will not be much of a problem. I am surprised to hear you broke a prop, I would certainly use a folding prop on that.

I cant wait to see how a typical video installation will fit in the fuselage with the pan and tilt in the dome...and obviously an fpv flight
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:40 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
I had a turn at the sticks on the Foamaroo. I was very pleased with the flying qualities. No bad habits and surprisingly responsive to control inputs. I was especially pleased with the roll control. I was expecting such a big flying wing to be sluggish in roll; but the Foamaroo will roll very quickly; and predictably; if you ask it to.

It also handled the wind very well and was scarcely effected by the gusts. As I was flying, I was thinking to myself that the Foamaroo would be a very fun sport flyer.

Nice work Jimmy!
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:45 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks, Dan. It was great to see it in the air after all of the development that went into it.

Jimmy
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:50 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Looks very stable in the air. Can't wait till you get some onboard video going.
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:22 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,410 Posts
This is going to sell like hotcakes once everyone finds about how nice this plane really is !
(so far, all great qualities).....

5000mah Lipo....I want to see that ! :-)

p.s.
what were the wind gusts' on that video?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:07 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
Rosamond,Ca
Joined Jun 2008
630 Posts
Wow that looks sweet! I think I already have a good power system for it too Good job, I'm sure it will sell
SamB125 is offline Find More Posts by SamB125