HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Poll
DOA electronics: seller or manufacturer?

I've never done this, before, so I may make a mistake in setting it up-sorry.

An interesting debate is going on regarding the specific replacement of a DOA Aurora-9 and the general issue of whether "most" retail sellers "should" or "do" refuse DOA (only!) replacement with a new item, requiring the buyer to deal with the manufacturer-again, DOA, only!

How do you feel about this?

1. Any DOA should be replaced by the retail seller without a hassle.

2. It's fine to refer me to the manufacturer.

3. I don't care.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 04:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
1: electronic items should be returned to the reseller for replacement after examination. Retailer should then seek reimbursement/replacement via the manufacturer/his supplier.

I only ever contact the manufacturer for items that are out of warranty/specific items that maybe unavailable , old stock etc.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:26 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
The warranty of an item whether it be DOA or some other issue is the manufacturers responsibility and not the sellers. The seller can handle the warranty issue for you if they so choose, but they don't have to.

It is up to you who you choose to do business with. So make your choice and move on.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122 View Post
The warranty of an item whether it be DOA or some other issue is the manufacturers responsibility and not the sellers. The seller can handle the warranty issue for you if they so choose, but they don't have to.

It is up to you who you choose to do business with. So make your choice and move on.
Well, you are quite wrong in this: many retail sellers choose to make express warranties and in every U.S. state, including Oregon, under the Uniform Commerical Code there are implied warranties, including that the goods are reasonably fit for the intended use-THESE WARRANTIES ARE MADE BY THE RETAIL SELLER AND ARE SUPPLEMENTARY OF THOSE MADE BY THE MANUFACTURER.

Very few states allow disclaiming these warranties without the consent of the buyer, which is never presumed.

So, a "seller" does "have to" live with its express warranties, if any, and implied warranties not disclaimed by actual negotations.

You know, you are just plain wrong.

A little Oregon reading just for you, and note the disjunctive, "seller OR manufacturer:" http://articles.directorym.com/Consu...49-Oregon.html
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:46 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Not in the UK , goods are returned to the retailer for refund , repair or replacement. If the retailer fails to perform his "duty" then certain bodies can be brought in for legal advice such as Trading standards , the citizens advice bureau or firm legal advice from a solicitor, manufacturers are rarely ever involved.

If the lights fail on your car you dont contact Ford you contact the dealer who sold you it.

Things obviously maybe different in other countries.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
In the United States, a buyer can ELECT his remedies and against WHOM they will be asserted: it is usually more efficient to pursue one's retail seller, than a manufacturer, i.e., walk into the shop and ask for a replacement or phone the interstate seller and ask for the same.

Oh, and the U.S. also has the Magnuson-Moss Act, a real hammer to drop ON ANYONE who makes an express or implied (arises by law) warranty, whether retail seller or manufacturer.

You gotta love this place!
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:30 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,872 Posts
#1............
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda