HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:02 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,185 Posts
Ok.....just went out and ran the A60-5XS up.....on Thunder Power 6S 65C 5000mAH packs and default settings on Castle ICE100 ESC, with a Xoar 18X8 (suggested prop), I got 7320 peak RPM (actually varied a bit as I was trying to hold both the plane and my Glo-Bee tach at the same time, while my wife ran up the throttle). 24.17 volts, 72.2 amps, and 1648.3 watts (Checked with a "Watts up" meter). Both the watts and amps are pretty low, and since the motor is rated for 2500 watts peak, this means a larger prop could definitely be used....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:53 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Grab the pin with a pair of pliers and pull it. I have usually been able to pull an extra 1/16 or more out of it. Some just seem like the pin is pressed into the latch mechanism farther than others.
+1, had to do this on the 48 SV and once on the 57 SC. Plenty of pin back in there. Sometimes I think they get bumped at the factory, pushed back in or latch assembly not assembled correct length in the first place. Easy fix.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:33 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Ok.....just went out and ran the A60-5XS up.....on Thunder Power 6S 65C 5000mAH packs and default settings on Castle ICE100 ESC, with a Xoar 18X8 (suggested prop), I got 7320 peak RPM (actually varied a bit as I was trying to hold both the plane and my Glo-Bee tach at the same time, while my wife ran up the throttle). 24.17 volts, 72.2 amps, and 1648.3 watts (Checked with a "Watts up" meter). Both the watts and amps are pretty low, and since the motor is rated for 2500 watts peak, this means a larger prop could definitely be used....

SteveT
I'll bet an 18x10 gets you in the happy zone
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:18 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I'll bet an 18x10 gets you in the happy zone
Probably...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,384 Posts
Quote:

SteveT
Steve,

What made you decide to go with the 5XS 370kv and not keep 6XS 420kv setup?

Just trying something new?
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
Last edited by XtremeWingRC; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:27 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Just got some pics from my 70" maiden the other day. inherited this plane from Diggity, originally owned by Biven's from the first garage sale!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:46 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeWingRC View Post
Steve,

What made you decide to go with the 5XS 370kv and not keep 6XS 420kv setup?

Just trying something new?
Sorry, I'm afraid you have it backwards, the A60-6XS is 370, while the A60-5XS is 420. I do have the A60-6XS in my Slick,swinging a 20X10 APC, which for my style of flying is plenty... I installed the new A60-5XS in my Velox, so, that I didn't have to swing a 20" Prop.... And...I also have a Hacker A60-5S in my new 74" Edge... This is an 8S motor at 295KV, which I wanted to use to go 8S as the Edges have been coming out a bit tail heavy. It was perfect as far was CG went. I tried a Xoar 18X10 carbon fiber wide gas prop, but looks like it needs a bit more prop also. I go 2335 watts at 79.35 amps, which certainly seemed like plenty of power today when I maidened my Edge, but is no where near it's rated 3000 peak watts.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:19 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
as close in weight as the velow is to a slick why does it need such a smaller prop?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:23 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
as close in weight as the velow is to a slick why does it need such a smaller prop?
Ground clearance....Though from what I understand the gear on the Velox is the same as the Slick, the Slick stands up higher than the Velox does...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,129 Posts
huh? My 72 is shorter than the slick but run the same power system and prop. I notice they recommend the 16s which is a smaller motor. So my guess it's because of the lighter weight. They recomment a dle20 and not a 30. Just like the 65 Vyper. the 16s and it's lighter.

But whatever you can land with would work.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
Running a 19x8 on the slick and velox. The velox is a lighter airframe
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,384 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I'm afraid you have it backwards, the A60-6XS is 370, while the A60-5XS is 420. I do have the A60-6XS in my Slick,swinging a 20X10 APC, which for my style of flying is plenty... I installed the new A60-5XS in my Velox, so, that I didn't have to swing a 20" Prop.... And...I also have a Hacker A60-5S in my new 74" Edge... This is an 8S motor at 295KV, which I wanted to use to go 8S as the Edges have been coming out a bit tail heavy. It was perfect as far was CG went. I tried a Xoar 18X10 carbon fiber wide gas prop, but looks like it needs a bit more prop also. I go 2335 watts at 79.35 amps, which certainly seemed like plenty of power today when I maidened my Edge, but is no where near it's rated 3000 peak watts.

SteveT
Ahh gotcha. Yeah I had the kv's backwards. Oops.

But anyway cool. Yeah I wouldn't know about the velox.
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:53 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Ok guys... I've got a beautiful nearly mint condition fantasy blue 70" Slick coming my way. Got a fantastic deal from a great guy out in Colorado. I'm buying everything but the motor and ESC that he had in there (he had a Turnigy motor and an Gaui ESC).

So my question is - what is your recommendation on my power setup? 6s, 8s? I want to use a Motrofly motor with an IceLite 100 but I'm mainly trying to decide between 6s and 8s.

Any thoughts you guys have are greatly appreciated.

One more thing though... I've never done any wiring for running batteries in a series. Is there an easy way to accomplish this with APP's? I'm thinking I'll still need to solder some wires together right?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Ok guys... I've got a beautiful nearly mint condition fantasy blue 70" Slick coming my way. Got a fantastic deal from a great guy out in Colorado. I'm buying everything but the motor and ESC that he had in there (he had a Turnigy motor and an Gaui ESC).

So my question is - what is your recommendation on my power setup? 6s, 8s? I want to use a Motrofly motor with an IceLite 100 but I'm mainly trying to decide between 6s and 8s.

One more thing though... I've never done any wiring for running batteries in a series. Is there an easy way to accomplish this with APP's? I'm thinking I'll still need to solder some wires together right?
As you know, I really like the Hacker A60-6XS on 6S. I run a 20X10 APC....which is fine for me, but Joe was a bit disappointed with that prop and went to a 20X11 or 21X10 (sorry not sure which), which he says says he has used all summer. If you want to 8S, the the A60-5S is what I am now running in my 74" Edge, but it is four ounces heavier...

I would not go with an ICE light in this size of plane....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post

I asked this same question not to long ago before I grabbed my FB Slick!

Ended up choosing 6s because the added power from an 8s is a bit more than necessary, and after talking to Wamsy and a few other guys that I've seen ring out the slick, I decided the added cost of the 8s batteries wasn't worth the added power I would get! I also like that on 6s, with my a50-12l I get to run a 20x10 with no problems, I liked the way it felt over the smaller diameter prop. I use an ICE esc and an external bec..
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears