HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:02 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,945 Posts
I do use the hardware kits on the 3530 series motors.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:15 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
it's the nylon thread, about 1/16" thick. You could put a shock cord in pretty much any flying wing, I'd imagine. Same process.

You're not going to find an Assassin at any hobby store. CTH sells direct from their website (crashtesthobby.com), but they have a pretty good reputation for inexpensive and fast international shipping. If your friend just HAPPENS to be visiting the state of Utah, well, then maybe he could pick one up in person.

But do us all a favor, there in Ireland. Once you get your Assassin, throw a camera on that thing and post some video!
I'll ask if he's going to Utah... I know he gets around abit when he's in the states..

Arial views of Ireland...Enjoy...

Radian over Achill.. (1 min 56 sec)

Hobbyking Combat and Slope Soaring Wing.. (2 min 13 sec)

Combat Wars.. (3 min 34 sec)

Me Paragliding..
Paragliding... (4 min 20 sec)

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Oct 21, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,888 Posts
Crazy Fast Assassin wing

Here's my Assassin with the Headsuprc Powerup 370 Zoom motor. Best at HD quality.
Blu

Bluhammer flies the Assassin wing Oct 21 2012 (5 min 51 sec)
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,034 Posts
Here's my Assassin - my first wing. The first few times I launched, I rolled it full-throttle into the ground. I just picked it up and threw it up in the air again, and again. On about the 4th or 5th try, my thumbs figured it out and now it flies beautifully.

Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Bluhammer

I am building a new Assassin and am waiting for this motor to be "In Stock" again. Thanks for the video. Which ESC and Battery did you use? How did you do on final weight? Any still pics?
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
KI4KRA
United States, NC, Spring Lake
Joined May 2005
81 Posts
I had an issue with my Assassin today where the Motor would just throttle back. I had the ESC buried in the slot, but I think I am going to move it to lay flat to get air across it. I have flown this bird 20 or so times and this is the first time it started doing this.

Phoenix 25a ESC
Dualsky XM2826CA 1450KV
APC 7x5e
1800mah 3s Lipo
Ogrestud is offline Find More Posts by Ogrestud
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:31 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
915 Posts
I don't know if the slot is to blame, but I am a little sad CTH changed their instructions to say that. I really think the placement of electronics should be however the builder likes, as long as it balances, and for a number of reasons, most people prefer the ESC flat.

You'll have to let us know if that helps, (maybe overheating, or maybe a bad connection), or if you find something else.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:34 PM
KI4KRA
United States, NC, Spring Lake
Joined May 2005
81 Posts
I wonder if I am overloading the 25a at wot. I need to put an amp meter on it I guess.
Ogrestud is offline Find More Posts by Ogrestud
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
915 Posts
A meter will tell for sure, but I just make it a rule to WAY overestimate on my ESCs. I pretty much go as big as I'm willing before weight becomes an issue for that particular airframe. Not only does that keep things cool, but if I decide to upgrade my motor (like rewinding the little red 2812 on an Assassin to get more power) then I don't have to worry about buying a new ESC.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:57 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdad1 View Post
Bluhammer

I am building a new Assassin and am waiting for this motor to be "In Stock" again. Thanks for the video. Which ESC and Battery did you use? How did you do on final weight? Any still pics?
I use the Crashtesthobby 30A ESC, Orange $6 DSM Spektrum mode rx, 1300 and 1350mah 25, and 40c 3s batteries.
370 grams no battery and 491g with.
You will love this wing, have fun
Blu
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:07 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
What lind of flight time are u guys seein with 1300 batts, how much gliding in that time? I have 2200 galore so i been flyin them but ive beaten the nose pretty goos, almost ripped off because of the amoint of foam removed for batt to fit lol. Just building my second one which will see less crashes and perhaps the smaller 1300 which i have 2 of.... Maybe a parallel setup like my zeph is in order.
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:31 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,888 Posts
About 6 minutes mixed, but it's hard to stay off the throttle
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:33 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Thats what i was thinkin, its ok. If i dont like it i can always make the hole bigger
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:44 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
What kind of flight time are u guys seeing with 1300 batts, how much gliding in that time? I have 2200 galore so i been flying them but I've beaten the nose pretty good, almost ripped off because of the amount of foam removed for batt to fit lol. Just building my second one which will see less crashes and perhaps the smaller 1300 which i have 2 of.... Maybe a parallel setup like my zeph is in order.
Flying time has a lot to do with how you fly.

Reaper or Titan are great planes for the bigger batteries too.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:48 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrestud View Post
I had an issue with my Assassin today where the Motor would just throttle back. I had the ESC buried in the slot, but I think I am going to move it to lay flat to get air across it. I have flown this bird 20 or so times and this is the first time it started doing this.

Phoenix 25a ESC
Dualsky XM2826CA 1450KV
APC 7x5e
1800mah 3s Lipo
You can cut the slot wider around the center ESC so air can circulate around it if your ESC is getting hot. If you enclose the ESC completely or tape over the top and it doesn't have air flow and it is close to its maximum power it will get hot. I have always put my ESC in a slot but many do not. You also have to watch your batteries. If you are close to the maximum rating of your batteries they will need more ventilation because they will be running hotter. This is not true with the receiver and servos.